• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Any Marlin model 60 Owners in here?

cncwhiz

Private
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2013
Central AL
I had one of these when I was a little boy, and I must have run 100k rounds through that thing while growing up. I gave it away to a friend and missed it terribly.

About a year ago I picked up another one that was barely used for $100, and I put a Simmons 44-Mag scope on it for fun. The mounts are not that great so I may upgrade those. I was just wondering what MOA of accuracy I can axpect out of it. Right now, I can shoot groups of about 1.5" but that's at 50 yards. The trigger isn't great, so I'd like to do something there too. Do you all have any recommendations as far as what to do to tighten it up?

Thanks

I have a few of them, they are great little rifles. Some of them shoot alright, some shoot great. Unfortunately there is really no aftermarket support for them. You pretty much get what you get. If you're looking for great accuray you'd be better served with a CZ or Sako.

Marlin 60 SS, handy squirrel and rabbit rifle. 15 rounds in the tube at the start of the morning and ready to go.
Hang a red dot scope on one, and with some minor tweaking it's dead on accurate at 20 yards.
My wife prefers it over the rest of the rimfire collection due to ease of loading and weight.

marlin60-bags.JPG

20 yard target shot by the wife while sighting in the cheap CenterPoint red dot.
Her scope of choice when it comes to popping squirrels or rabbits.

Marlin60-red-dot20.jpg

Preferred ammo for her Marlin 60 is SK Pistol Match. Sub-sonic but designed for use in a semi-auto.
Where we hunt there are no long range shots, due to thick brush. Fast acquisition and squeeze is what
puts dinner on the table. That's the reason she likes the red dot. She says "If I can see it, I can hit it!"

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
The Marlin Model 60 is one of the finest killing devices ever created. There is after market parts out there if you do a Google search you will find them. You can clean the trigger pull up yourself. Search that also. Try YouTube.

What is the Marlin model tyhat takes a detach magazine? I found a factory clear body 15rd 22LR mag (with a red follower) in my back up range bag and I never owned a Marlin.
Maybe I thought it was a Rugert mag, but it is a single stack.

Anyone ? ?

Model 60 is tube fed, the Marlin 70 is magazine fed.
I've seen mags for the 70 that held up to 25 rounds.

First gun I ever bought. Still got it. Bought at Target in Omaha when I was 13. Paid $54. I've put about 30,000 rounds through it. Works like a champ still. Quite accurate even today. I have a soft spot in my heart for my model 60.

What is the Marlin model tyhat takes a detach magazine? I found a factory clear body 15rd 22LR mag (with a red follower) in my back up range bag and I never owned a Marlin.
Maybe I thought it was a Rugert mag, but it is a single stack.

Anyone ? ?

Marlin 795 takes the detach magazines

I had one and it was accurate enough for my needs. Shooting steel at close range 35-75 yrds. I also had a CZ 452 trainer bolt-action rifle. It was a bit more accurate but the semi-auto Marlin 60 was just more fun.

i had one, but used it as part of a trade for an AR a few years back when i went through the black rifle phase. now the AR is gone (novelty wore off) and wish i had the 60 back!

probably a million rounds through it between my dad and me over the years, and still produced great groups for what it was.

Hi CNCWHIZ, What did you end up doing with the Model 60? I have one that my son and I love to shoot.

Here is what I have done:
- replaced the sights with a tech-sight M1 type aperture sight
- sanded, oiled, smoothed all of the moving parts within the receiver
- adjusted trigger pull (cut a coil from the hammer spring, lightened the load on the trigger spring)
- replaced the buffer (if your rifle has set around for a while like mine, this will have probably disintegrated)

I just ordered a few parts to put a sling on it.

I have not put a scope on it, but with the aperture sights I'm shooting groups of about 3.5 inches at 50yds and 40 of 45 in 6 inches at 100yds. Lot's of work to do. Next up is to try a target that I can better distinguish the target from the front sight post. Black on black is just too hard for me (suggestions?). I also plan to run a number of different rounds through it to see what it likes best. Right now, it's a box of Federal HV (did not like Remington or CCI), but I suspect something in the SV might shoot better.

Another good website is the Marlin Owners Forum.

Always fun with a .22!

I grew up with those rifles. Still have the one I used as a kid. This is the latest one I picked up (I know not a 60). Model M2. Darn near perfect condition.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411773093.439704.jpg

I have one and it's a great rifle. I updated several items on mine to make it even better. I upgraded to a Boyd's Rimfire Hunter stock, MCARBO spring kit, a DIP trigger guard and trigger and Tech sights. Its a blast to load up the tube magazine and just unload as fast as possible. Still one of my favorite rifles to shoot.