• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Massachusetts FFL's on here?

Drago6

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2017
I didn't see any state specific or dedicated FFL sub forums on here so figured this general sub would be the best option

Potentially selling a rifle locally, in communication with the would-be buyer, he's an FFL in MA and i'm an individual in RI. I cross checked his name, phone number, etc and he is who he claims to be (i.e. not using a burner number, false name, etc).

He stated the following:

"I am the FFL all i need from you is a copy of your Drivers License for our files sent to our store email. I being the FFL owner will come to you and pick the firearm up preventing you from getting in trouble for transferring firearms across state lines without a mass LTC. when I pick the firearms up I will give you a copy of my FFL that you will keep on file that's all we need to do once i put the firearm in my FFL bound book the same day it is legally the stores the copy of the FFL is your receipt"

Would his proposal be legal? Obviously I'd get a copy of his FFL first and verify before actually meeting, am also skeptical of emailing him my license ahead of time, i would assume that a photocopy of it on the bill of sale handed off face to face would be sufficient. I'm not in any particular hurry to sell the gun in question, so if this is going to be more hassle/risk than normal then i'll just decline, however I just wanted to check with those more knowledgeable about the state in question to see if his proposal is a "normal day at the office for MA"

He is playing "Ill show you mine, when you show me yours".

I dont see why it wouldnt be acceptable to say "We whip it out at that same time, face to face, mano a mano, 1, 2, 3, zippppppp"

If you are doing face to face and both are legal in Rhode Island he is making this more difficult than need be.

Is he a member here?

Let him know I said you are great to deal with if that helps.

If it helps I know a great FFL in Lancaster MA that will receive from an individual. You could ship to him and than the other guy can pick up in Lancaster.

Why would you not ship to him? Is there a State law that keeps you from shipping to a FFL?
A FFL can conduct business at their licensed address or in State gun show. Neither seems to apply here.
A FFL willing to send a nonlicensee a copy of their license is not the norm. Most will just give you their license number.
Most want a copy of your DL. Not required, but I get why they want that.

Yeah.

I think I read too much in to it and thought he was refusing to provide his FFL until He was provided something.

My FFL gives me signed copies of his FFL anytime I want someone to ship to me. The item gets sent to my FFL than I pick up from him.

I can understand @Drago6 being concerned because MA has screwy laws, some basically instituted by mere verbiage of the Attorney General.

Being reasonable is that if he positively identifies in RI, MA license and FFL copies, you have done your due diligence in assuring you are selling to a proper person. If he is willing to show you his MA FID or carry permit than you would appear to have done all required to assume you have transferred to someone lawful to possess a firearm.

An FFL can have firearms not permitted to mere citizens of MA. He just can't transfer in state. If it's an item we are not allowed by our masters he can keep it for himself, transfer to another FFL, or transfer out of state.

Yeah.

I think I read too much in to it and thought he was refusing to provide his FFL until He was provided something.

My FFL gives me signed copies of his FFL anytime I want someone to ship to me. The item gets sent to my FFL than I pick up from him.

I can understand @Drago6 being concerned because MA has screwy laws, some basically instituted by mere verbiage of the Attorney General.

Being reasonable is that if he positively identifies in RI, MA license and FFL copies, you have done your due diligence in assuring you are selling to a proper person. If he is willing to show you his MA FID or carry permit than you would appear to have done all required to assume you have transferred to someone lawful to possess a firearm.

An FFL can have firearms not permitted to mere citizens of MA. He just can't transfer in state. If it's an item we are not allowed by our masters he can keep it for himself, transfer to another FFL, or transfer out of state.

Yeah as long as i can confirm he has a valid FFL and i get a bill of sale to document the transfer i cant imagine there being a problem. The whole minutia of tip toeing around a sale is stupid, but i'm not going to make my hill to die on be a long gun transfer. He did offer to meet in a physical gun shop in RI if i wanted to.

Why would you not ship to him? Is there a State law that keeps you from shipping to a FFL?
A FFL can conduct business at their licensed address or in State gun show. Neither seems to apply here.
A FFL willing to send a nonlicensee a copy of their license is not the norm. Most will just give you their license number.
Most want a copy of your DL. Not required, but I get why they want that.

It wouldn't make sense to ship a large and expensive package to a guy who is like a 30 minute drive away. I only wanted a copy of his FFL (or the number) so that i can verify it ahead of time, thus far the only assurance i have that he is actually a licensed FFL is him telling me, and since it would be FTF and not in a gun store i'd need some way of knowing he's legit.

Reactions: pmclaine

I would want the ffl number before meeting.

I don't think he would be following the law by meeting you out of State, but that's on him. If you have a bill of sell listing the business as buyer and his license number that matches, I don't see how you could be in jeopardy. JMHO.

Makes sense now with him being so close.