• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Any metal detecting enthusiasts here?

rather-b-huntin

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2012
winfield, wv usa
I've gotten hooked on metal detecting over the past year or so. Are there any other enthusiasts here? If so, what equipment are you using?

I'm currently running a Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, and Garrett ProPointer. I use digging tools by Lesche.

*tag*

Ive always been interested in it, and wanted to try it, but never had the opportunity to do it. Would really like to try before i buy....how do you like it?

*tag*

Ive always been interested in it, and wanted to try it, but never had the opportunity to do it. Would really like to try before i buy....how do you like it?

I find it very relaxing and even downright exhilarating when a nice find is uncovered. I'm primarily a coin hunter and have found some nice coins this year. My best to date is a 1909 S Wheat cent. Even in it's environmentally damaged condition it's still worth about $50.
It's nice to have a hobby that will eventually pay for itself. With a couple of good finds it can do so very quickly!

I enjoy it but I really only do it to find nails and junk like that. My detector is old and the stickers have fallen off so I have no idea what model and name it is. Lol even the serial number sticker has fallen off . Made in china is stamped in. Go figure.

I enjoy it but I really only do it to find nails and junk like that. My detector is old and the stickers have fallen off so I have no idea what model and name it is. Lol even the serial number sticker has fallen off . Made in china is stamped in. Go figure.

I have as much invested in my detectors as a lot of guys have in their higher end shooting rigs. But just like a lot of Savage shooters know, you don't necessarily have to spend a fortune to get great results.
My son has a $200 detector that will do 80% of what either of my $2K detectors will do. That last 20% where the extra money comes into play.

My ex girlfriend was very good at locating precious metals, f-in gold digger in fact....

229457_390136254392848_1817182080_n1.jpg

I'm more of a metal projecting enthusiast but I have a good friend that really digs detecting. He's found some neat stuff.

Been detecting for over 30 years.
I have found just about every piece of junk you can thing of.
I mostly look for gold and I have done well over the years.
I'm running a minelab 5000 and the whites gmt about 6 months a year when it gets hot I switch to hard rock mining and I do run the detectors underground sometimes.
It can get old if your not finding any but when you do it makes up for the time you don't.
Keep swinging something good will be under your coil sooner or later.

I have a cheapie, and an older Whites. Both run well. My most important find was finding the corner post on my property when a neighbor was disputing the line. It was right where I thought it was. That saved a trip to court.
I want to learn to use the White's. Seems a bit more complicated.
Watched an older man on the beach on Padre Island find about 20 bucks in coins near our hotel. Took him about half an hour, and he and I got to enjoy watching the honeys on the beach at the same time.

A buddy of mine has been a Civil War relic hunter for probably 50 years. I've dug lots and lots of dropped minnie balls in the Chattanooga area. He has quite a collection, including lots of rare buckles, plates, and a few live artillery shells. I think he still uses a 30 year old White and a WWII surplus E-tool.

I've gotten hooked on metal detecting over the past year or so. Are there any other enthusiasts here? If so, what equipment are you using?

I'm currently running a Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, and Garrett ProPointer. I use digging tools by Lesche.

Yep, I'm seriously into it, and I did the Minelab thing and spent $0000 and in the end I went over to Whites and Boosted my finds. in the first week, But like shooting we always change our gear or just add more,

Blessin's John

My 9 year old daughter wanted one for her birthday and I got her a highly rated $60 model for kids and we are both having a blast.

She comes in one afternoon and shows me the Wolf steel 223 case she found in the bushes by my garage.

I could see myself getting into this.

I bought a really nice Whites metal/gold detector used it twice. Then I have several major surgeries on my feet, now I just look at it in the closet.

My 9 year old daughter wanted one for her birthday and I got her a highly rated $60 model for kids and we are both having a blast.

She comes in one afternoon and shows me the Wolf steel 223 case she found in the bushes by my garage.

I could see myself getting into this.

Well I have found Roman Coins and Medievil Coins and gold rings and my Last find was a 1881 Morgan Silver Dollar in all but Perfect condition,

John

I bought a really nice Whites metal/gold detector used it twice. Then I have several major surgeries on my feet, now I just look at it in the closet.

Would that be a Whites MXT ?? they are about the best all rounder.

john

well that machine will do it and it has found more gold in Alaska than any other detector and some nuggets down almost 2 feet

John

Are you going to get back into using it again, or are you looking to part with it? If so, send me a PM, if you're interested.

Two feet with a MXT! That must of been one big chunk.
I'm wondering what facts have you found to make a statement that the MXT has found more gold in Alaska than any other detector?
All the guys I know in Alaska run Minelabs or the Whites GMT.

Loner

Two feet with a MXT! That must of been one big chunk.
I'm wondering what facts have you found to make a statement that the MXT has found more gold in Alaska than any other detector?
All the guys I know in Alaska run Minelabs or the Whites GMT.

Loner

Well If you know Guys in Alaska Then you will be well Aware of the Name Steve Herschbach,Whom of which Is/WAS One of the Leading Prospecting/Dealers Not just in the US but Most of the Prospecting World, The MXT Was The Test Bed and the Platform from which The GMT was Born Back around 1990s and now it is on its fourth version of it

And Steve Him Self Makes That Claim and The GMT is really good on SUB Grain Gold But the GoldBug that Runs at 71khz is better for hunting fine specks,

Yes The Minelabs Are Better and Deeper in Ground with High Mineralization as it is a Pulse Induction Machine and Are Now Made in China but at $6000 puts it out of most peoples reach and because of the Limited Discrimination often puts people off from digging a 3 foot hole just to find a Bean Can,

Where as the Whites MXT or MXT Pro and the V3i are must better suited for the purpose, And Yes there are other Brands Like the Garrett AT Pro and the Garrett AT Gold and many more Garrett Machines along with Fischer Teachnics Just to Name a few,

And if you still have Doubts One thing that A lot of the Machines have in common is DAVE JOHNSON, He has been the lead designing engineer on over 30 different top Brand/Machines in the Last 25/30 Years,

Heres the Link to Steve Herscbach statement and if you do a Search on Steve Then you will find that he is a Formidable Mountain of Knowledge in Prospecting and Metal Detecting, And has Detected all over the World along with writing reviews and has worked along side Testing Many brands,

New Coil Takes MXT to Next Level at Ganes Creek? [Archive] - AMDS Adventure Forum

I know for a Fact that the Whites MXT found a ONE OUNCE Gold Nugget at over 18 inches down and you can read that on Whites Web Site and I have found objects a lot Deeper,

I should say that I did not mean the whole of Alaska as many areas have High Mineralization so Minelab PI or Whites and Garrett PI Machines would do the job better,

If I can help just ask,

John

Last edited:
It is, really was looking forward to finding a jackpot

If you or Anyone needs help with settings etc, Give me a call Via PM and I will give you some links with step by step settings and the whys and wherefores. Ok

Blessin's John

I know Steve and I also know Steve sells detectors. He likes his Vlf's. As for me give me a PI with a big coil and I'll be happy to dig the bean cans for you.

I know Steve and I also know Steve sells detectors. He likes his Vlf's. As for me give me a PI with a big coil and I'll be happy to dig the bean cans for you.

I remember when I first bought A GP3500, man that thing tortured me, I took it to the wrong site, Big Mistake, The PI's have opened up a lot of bad areas not before detectable.

Sometime soon I will be buying another PI, But I would not recommend a PI for a person who is just getting into it or who has been doing it for just A short while, Ground conditions permitting,

John

Been running Minelabs for awhile started with the 17000 went to the 2000 and made a killing on old ground with it. Didn't trade up until the 2200 found some deeper gold with it. Then I got out of the game and went hard rock mining for a few years but still used it under ground. Got back in the game when I traded some gold for a 3500. Whet back to my 2200 didn't do well with the 3500. Then later I traded it off for a 4000 and I made my best finds with it and dug the deepest with it. I now run a 5000 and I'm never going to look back. The threshold is almost not there and I'm confident that I'm not leavening gold in the ground.

As for the Whites detectors I believe they make the best Vlf's on the market.
As for PI's I have run just about everything out there some even homemade and nothing even comes close to Minelab.

Loner

Been running Minelabs for awhile started with the 17000 went to the 2000 and made a killing on old ground with it. Didn't trade up until the 2200 found some deeper gold with it. Then I got out of the game and went hard rock mining for a few years but still used it under ground. Got back in the game when I traded some gold for a 3500. Whet back to my 2200 didn't do well with the 3500. Then later I traded it off for a 4000 and I made my best finds with it and dug the deepest with it. I now run a 5000 and I'm never going to look back. The threshold is almost not there and I'm confident that I'm not leavening gold in the ground.

As for the Whites detectors I believe they make the best Vlf's on the market.
As for PI's I have run just about everything out there some even homemade and nothing even comes close to Minelab.

Loner

So It sounds like you had the same issues with the 3500 as I did, I was never sure if it was telling me the Truth and its depth could be rivalled by my Soverign GT which has found my smallest deepest item,, I kept the 3500 for about 2 or 3 years but it paid for 5% of its cost, It was a beautiful thing but going detecting with it I didn't ever think I would find any thing with it apart from the First day out with it, Mind you that day I found a .303 bullet pointing straight at me at about 10 inches down and a couple of musket balls from the 14th Century and One big coin/Medal which I have never worked out what it is, But apart from that, I dug the Mutha of all holes and found an Iron Fence that had been squashed flat an buried, That was a big hole. Another great little machine was the Minelab Muskateer Advantage, running at 5khz I had the most fun with that one But it replaced the other muskys But I wish they had kept making the Relic Hawk which they replaced which was much like the GP series/Mine Detector and the Golden Hawk.

John

Last edited: