• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Any negatives for having a cleaning rod too long?

SilentStalkr

Wonna Be Badass
Minuteman
  • Oct 8, 2012
    Somewhere in the US
    I am fixing to get me a Lucas bore guide for a TRG22 and am in need of s good rod to go with it. The problem is that they only seem to offer a 36" or a 44". I am not quite sure the 36" will be long enough when you add in the bore guide. It's a 26" barrel. So, would i be wrong for going with a 44"!

Re: Any negatives for having a cleaning rod too long?

Like most things in life...longer is better. The rod should be, at a minimum, the length of your rifle including the stock, unless you have a folding stock. Reason so long? To avoid interference between the rod handle and the cheek area of your stock.

You will be just fine as long as you use the Lucas bore guide. That is the combo that I use on my TRG. The only problem you could get into with an extra long rod is excessive rod flex causing it to ride on the bore. However this is not an issue when using a QUALITY bore guide like a T.K. Noland Barrel Saver or a Lucas.

You should use the shortest cleaning rod you can get away with. The bore guide is just there to keep your cleaning rod in line with the bore of your rifle to stop your cleaning rod from bending and rubbing against your barrel causing damage during the cleaning process. The longer the cleaning rod, the more it can deflect under the same load making it more likely for your rod to rub against your barrel causing damage during cleaning.

If the cheek area of your stock impedes your cleaning rod handle from following the rod straight through the bore of your rifle you should use a longer rod or remove your action from your stock for cleaning.

FAL1123, you are sort of correct. Actually the length of your cleaning rod has nothing to do with the deflection in the barrel (as long as you use a propper fitting bore guide & the 2 I mentioned are the only ones I know of that will do the job of a bore guide properly). Think of it like this if you have a 30" rod and a 44" rod and clean a 20" barrel with one of the bore guides I mentioned you will only ever have 20" of the rod in the bore max so given that you are using the same brand of rod the deflection in the bore will be the same. The idea is to use a bore guide that is just large enough in the ID to fit over the OD of your rod and to match the rod OD to your caliber (dont use a 22 cal rod in a 30 cal bore). This is why the bore guides that have a insert for the cleaning rod are the ONLY ones worth a damn. Its like this if the ID of your bore guide is bore diameter or just under (meaning you can easily slide a jag and patch that fits tight in the bore throught the guide) then you are not going to center anything. With these style of guides the best you can hope for it to prevent any solvent from getting in the action and bedding, thats about it.

The length of the rod does affect the deflection in the bore because the deflection is continuous. The longer the portion of rod sticking out of the bore guide the easier it will be to bend the rod. The farther the handle moves away from the center of the bore the farther the tip will be moved away from the center of the bore. I agree that using the thickest (stiffest) rod you can and a guide like a Lucas or Neil Jones that has two points of support will help reduce the deflection in the bore as much as possible, (hopefully to the point where it won't cause any damage) but it won't make it disappear completely.

Use a quality coated rod and forget about deflection, riding the bore, etc. etc.

Any rod long enough to get her through. Too long? don't use the handle....grab the rod just be sure to let it follow the land through.

P.S. Shoot quality ammo only and don't clean your bore until your groups change. No faster way to screw up a great barrel than to keep cleaning it. Shoot it...shoot it some more...and when that's all done....shoot it....shoot it...then, take your time to shoot it again, four more sessions..then shoot it, twice more...now, take the rod and put it in the back of the closet and....shoot it...again....until....you shoot it. Now look at that target....its just screams shoot it...more.

Some of the best BR guys will tell you that their rigs settle down after the first 100 rounds go through then they run with it until the target says to clean it....then they have to put 100 rounds through the tube again just to get the rifle to run right.

^ this +1.
    I used to scrub my barrels after every range trip, hunt, etc. I now clean "as needed". Can't say I've noticed ANY difference other than I'm not wasting time cleaning guns, spending as much $ buying patches, solvents, or worrying about my rifles. Let the rifle tell you when it NEEDS to be cleaned as stated above.

Ok, my next question then is, if you do not clean it and need to store it again for 6 months do you need to clean and lube it first, just lube and store it, or just plain store it? That is my biggest concern is determining whether leaving crud in the barrel for 6 months with no protection is going to cause rust or anything like that.

I do, I clean then make sure to get ALL the solvent out and follow up with a light coat of a quality oil (I use Butches gun oil).

isn't a problem if you use a coated rod, but it will bow if not aligned well with bore.

pushing it beyond the muzzle and causing damage to the crown

So, you are saying you never push your jag past the crown to retrieve it? That would mean you are pulling it back through with the dirty brush, patch, whateve which most people say is a bad thing. I would you would have to extend it out past the crown. Hmmmm....does someone want to elaborate here?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdr724</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pushing it beyond the muzzle and causing damage to the crown </div></div>

What?

I push mine beyond the muzzle and remove the jag/patch/etc before pulling it back through.

I was on my phone and should have typed more. If it's not long enough when you push it past the muzzle, the patch may be out but patch holder may not be all the way out.