• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any one from around Dallas, TX? Need local advice, schools, locations etc...

Punisher29073

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2012
White Knoll, SC
I am interviewing for a position in Dallas and it appears to be going well. I have only flown through Dallas and would like some local input. I will be bringing my family so am interested in the school systems and locations. I would likely live on the outskirts as I would like to purchase some acreage and a home. I am a blank slate. What should I steer clear of etc.....

Ryan

If you want some acreage and a house, be prepared to either drive a lot each day, or spend a fair bit of money.
There is a big housing boom thanks to all the people fleeing liberal high tax states.

You'll need to see where you are working on the map and then decide from there if you want to be North East, North West or if you want to be down south.

Most of the best school districts are in the suburbs to the north a bit east and then over on the suburbs north and west, both about an hour drive to Dallas depending on traffic.

Traffic and driving will make up a huge part of your daily life going to work, so you kind of want to plan for that, as what looks like a nice easy drive when you are checking it out on the weekends may be soul crushing hell during the daily commute. For most people going over an hour each way on your daily commute is a bit tough.

If you want to PM me the basic location area where you are looking at the job at, I can give you some suggestions on areas and traffic & housing since I'm pretty well versed in that.

Im not there now but spent a good 20 years out in Texas, more down south west toward Corpus, Austin, and Rocksprings. W54 is right on. To have an acreage place youll need to drive. DFW is a big area. What many do is get a place home near work then find a ranch to buy for the weekends and to move toward.

When I bought my 200 acres in Carta Valley south of Rocksprings in 97 it was from a broken up 14 mile/2 ranch. I think I paid $110,000 and it had the ranch house, bunkhouse, barns, water tanks with windmills and the whole nine yards. Beautiful out in the Hill country. The driving will take it out of you.

Good luck with your interview.

hlee - Thanks
sniperwannabee - Blasphemer!
Tunnuh - The locations I will be primarily working at located on the NE side.
Maggot - Thanks. I was thinking more along the lines of 2-10 acres but time will tell.

So, depending on what distance you're willing to drive on a daily basis, and your budget, maybe Rowlett, Royce City, Anna, or Melissa if you want land. I work in Red Oak south of Dallas but live in Saginaw which is near fort worth. I'm at an hour drive in the morning to 1.5 hours in the afternoon. It's pretty sprawled out here, but I'd look at those cities on a map and then look at your price range on realtor.com.

Good to see some locals on here, I’m Up by Sherman, I know lots of folks who commute to Dallas area everyday. look at celina and prosper area, Denton, sanger and Krum. although land is very expensive.

Good to see some locals on here, I’m Up by Sherman, I know lots of folks who commute to Dallas area everyday. look at celina and prosper area, Denton, sanger and Krum. although land is very expensive.

Denton to 75/635 each day will suck the life right out of you even if you take the crazy expensive toll roads on 35/635

Denton to 75/635 each day will suck the life right out of you even if you take the crazy expensive toll roads on 35/635
I hate that drive. I try to stay away from the metroplex area.

Corsicana area is where I'm at drive to Dallas is about an hour hour and a half. Rush hour definitely sucks once you get into the city