• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any one reload for the .40 S&W

Iron Worker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2005
Nevada
I've been reloading since the Jurassic age.But not for my .40 S&W. Now tired of high cost of even FMJ ammo. Might as well start loading for it. My gun is a Sig P-229 4"bbl... Any suggestions on some good loads. Yes I have many loading books. I know some out there has experience with best powder bullet combination. I'm thinking 155 or 165 gr bullets

Re: Any one reload for the .40 S&W

That high pressure round still scares me, My 229 is the only thing
I own that I don't reload for........guess I'll have to one day.

What pistol powder do you currently have?

W231, AA5, Unique, PowerPistol, WAP, etc.. all will work very well. Just about any faster to medium rate pistol powders will work.

I use 4.0 Tightgroup with 180 flat noses, this is a good load in my Glock 35, none of my brass is Glocked, recoil is light, not 9mm but very light compared to factory loads I have run, BrianEnos forums is a great resource for pistol shooting.

Like Brian (427Cobra), I use Titegroup for all my 40 cal loads with 135, 155, 165, and 180 grain loads. I do a load work-up just like you would a rifle, and see what sweet spot is there for the pistol. I've got easily over 10K rounds down my G35 without cleaning it with Titegroup and bullet of choice.

I have both W-231 and titegroup. I think I'll try both. Has anyone tried the Redding push through die?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coues7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both W-231 and titegroup. I think I'll try both. Has anyone tried the Redding push through die? </div></div>

Just be careful with Titegroup. It's a very fast powder and you're only going to use 4.0-4.5grs, which leave a lot of empty space. It's VERY easy to not notice a double charge. W231 is a bit slower and fills the case a bit more.

I'm using 6.9gr of HS6 under a 165gr Rainier. Very happy with it in my Glock 27 & 22! It performs decently but not quite as good in a Kel-tec sub-gun also. (in all fairness the sub-gun really should have it's own load worked up, but off the shelf my standard load above works just fine in it so I haven't gone any further in it's development)

You don't need the push through die unless you are reloading range brass that might have been shot through a Glock. They have unsupported chambers, unlike your 229 and it causes the bases to bulge.

I shoot Ramshot Zip with 180 grain round nose Raniers. They feed great in my 239.

I used a similar setup as the Redding die with a .32. If you use it, is it a carbide collar die or do you have to lube the cases? If lube is necessary that obviates the convenience. If your brass don't need the push through...i.e., not an unsupported chamber, just use a standard carbide set. JMHO

I've used 5.8gr of Winchester WSF for 10+years loading for IPSC shooting. Made major both the old and new way (power factor).

Plenty accurate in a variety of STI & SVI pistols. Always goes bang and a bullet comes out. After all, that's all that matters with a pistol isn't it?

No need to over think a pistol load if it's safe and reliable.

With a fully supported chamber and in a hot handload work up, the 40 S&W will outperform the 10mm with a fully supported chamber in a hot handload work up.

For the max power, I use 800X, 200 gr bullets and double compression to get that much powder to fit.

But 800x meters poorly, and the full power produced is way more recoil than can be dealt with in the spring volume available in any semi auto I have seen. So Power Pistol will more conveniently get all the power that can be handled with any recoil springs that will fit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">With a fully supported chamber and in a hot handload work up, the 40 S&W will outperform the 10mm with a fully supported chamber in a hot handload work up.</span>

For the max power, I use 800X, 200 gr bullets and double compression to get that much powder to fit.

But 800x meters poorly, and the full power produced is way more recoil than can be dealt with in the spring volume available in any semi auto I have seen. So Power Pistol will more conveniently get all the power that can be handled with any recoil springs that will fit. </div></div>
How do you figure that? Any numbers to go with it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="color: #FF0000">With a fully supported chamber and in a hot handload work up, the 40 S&W will outperform the 10mm with a fully supported chamber in a hot handload work up.</span>
How do you figure that? Any numbers to go with it? </div></div>

GlockDSCF0042WeldFeedRamp3s.jpg
Glock22BarrelWeldedrampandchamberre.jpg

40sw:
Book load:
800X IMR load [current web site]: "Hi-Shokr"800-X 6.3 gr. 925 fps, 2610 psi, 4" barrel, 1.125" OAL, Speer 200 gr. FMJ

Me working up max load Glock 22 stock barrel with a welded up and re cut feed ramp for more case support:
12.5 gr. and more requires double compression, 15.5 gr. the OAL springs out to 1.171", 15.5 gr. is ok, intense recoil
+146% extra powder
--------------------------------
10mm
Book load:
"Hi-Skor" 800-X 7.8gr 1130fps 32500 psi

Me working up max load Glock 20 Bar Sto barrel:
800X, 200 gr. .658", 14.2 gr., small case bulge at web, must stop, 82% extra powder
---------------------
What does it all mean?
The small primer pocket adds more strength to the 40sw case.
The longer OAL of the 10mm makes the cartridge larger.
I this comparison, the case strength is more important than the OAL.

Clark that was alot of work just to run a hot load, I would rather buy a KKM barrel instead

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmAM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4.3gr Tightgroup and 180 montana golds in our Glock 35's </div></div>

+2 on this load for my G35 and STI Trojan.

Kinda what I was thinkin'.

Would this mess with the metalurgy of the barrel, as in the hardness ?

FWIW I am running a Lone Wolf barrel in a 23 with 4.6 gr of tightgroup and nothing gets pregnant because of the supported chamber.

The 27 with the factory barrel gets factory ammo only.

Clark that is INTENSE!!!

You might want to put some sort of disclaimer on that thing.

3.2 grains of Clays behind a 180gr. CMJ is a super soft minor load for IDPA out of my G35.

To get major power factor, I switch to 4.7 grains of TG behind the same 180gr. CMJ. Tightgroup burns very hot...

Note: Clays CANNOT be used for major loads in 40 S&W.

For a 165gr. bullet I have used 4.2 grains of AA#2 (minor PF). A little "snappier" than the 180gr. bullet but still soft to shoot.

A good substitute for the "push through" die (takes a LOT of extra time) is the EGW "U-die" for glocked brass. This is used in place of the regular FL die.

3.7 gr of E3 under a 175 LSWC, OAL 1.147
This load makes major power factor out of a 5" STI
Soft recoil and burns very very clean, W231 is a good powder but man is it dirty