• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

any one use a fn a3g?

dark_mirror

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2009
Columbia falls, Montana
really interested in the fn a3g these rifles, (in the event i can find one thats actually available) just wanted to know if any one has used one and impressions of the rifle left

thanks

Re: any one use a fn a3g?

I have owned one of these in the past ,along with the FN A2.I think its a hit or miss with the FN precision rifles.The barrels are chrome lined,I could not get mine to shoot with factory ammo.The reason i started to reload was becuase if that rifle,i did eventually get it to shoot tight groups but the bullets were to be seated way out there.The thraot was very long and fatory ammo would not group less than 4" at 100 yds.The Fn a3 shot good with 168smks seated to 2.890 if i remember correctly.The rifle is a solid stick, the bedding was outstanding in it.Bedding for all A3 gs are done by GAP .I guess for $2900, i would rather build one from scratch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have owned one of these in the past ,along with the FN A2.I think its a hit or miss with the FN precision rifles.The barrels are chrome lined,I could not get mine to shoot with factory ammo.The reason i started to reload was becuase if that rifle,i did eventually get it to shoot tight groups but the bullets were to be seated way out there.The thraot was very long and fatory ammo would not group less than 4" at 100 yds.The Fn a3 shot good with 168smks seated to 2.890 if i remember correctly.The rifle is a solid stick, the bedding was outstanding in it.Bedding for all A3 gs are done by GAP .I guess for $2900, i would rather build one from scratch.
</div></div>

Woah! What did your factory groups look like?

I have an SPR A1a, and it shoots very well; about 0.75 with factory, 0.5 or less with my hand loads. Aries64 had an A3 not too long ago, so he would have some good input here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mkv_89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">really interested in the fn a3g these rifles, (in the event i can find one thats actually available) just wanted to know if any one has used one and impressions of the rifle left

thanks </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an SPR A1a, and it shoots very well; about 0.75 with factory, 0.5 or less with my hand loads. Aries64 had an A3 not too long ago, so he would have some good input here. </div></div>
I had an A3 G for about a year and a half. I know that some people have had issues with their FN rifles, including some A3 G owners. Luckily for me, my A3 G was flawlessly built and shot very well with factory ammo (Black Hills 175s'), easily 1/2 MOA on paper. With a spotter watching I repeatedly hit small rocks (<5") at a Swarovski-ranged 942 yards. Not everytime, but that is not to be expected anyway.

Not that it matters, but the A3 G is the only SPR that comes with a 1/2 MOA guarantee from the factory - my factory test target was .400". I think that the bedding is primarily accountable for this, although the A3 Gs' also had a bit of massaging from the factory than standard SPRs'.

I had even gotten a good deal on my A3 G ($2,039.00 brand-new), so I had a hard time selling it, as I really like the Pre-64 / Classic M70 action. For the money it was a hell of a good deal - phosphated FN SPR action, molded-in O.D. Green McMillan A3 w/saddle cheekpiece, MarineTex bedding by GAP, and 1/2 MOA guaranteed from the factory.

However, I sold my A3 G to help fund my <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Tac Ops X-Ray 51</span></span>, so I upgraded to a far superior rifle. I also sold my A3 G to a cop on disability, so I felt good about helping out a good guy.

Keith

Keep in mind that there were at least 2 releases of the SPR. The first batch made in the early 2000s were quite problematic; I heard multiple accounts from different sources about this. The new batch was released a few years ago with some dramatic changes, such as a new stock and base. I haven't heard anything negative about the new rifles like I did with the older models. The one thing that FN really shit the bed on was their rendition of the DBM bottom metal. Their factory magazines are crappy in my opinion. I replaced my OE bottom metal with CDI precision AI mags, and I believe that was the best thing I could have done. AICS mags are awesome.

I have an a-1 with 900 rds down the barrel.

It's stock whit a trigger job. It shoots between .75 and .25 (on a good day) with factory ammo and re-loads. 168 smk's. It was produced sometime in 2006. Don't be afraid.....

I have had an SPR a1 since 03 and it seems to get more accurate everytime I shoot it. I did have it bedded and had a CDI bottom metal fitted. It is a great rifle. Now just about all my rifles have that style action with a couple more in reserve.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep in mind that there were at least 2 releases of the SPR. The first batch made in the early 2000s were quite problematic; I heard multiple accounts from different sources about this. The new batch was released a few years ago with some dramatic changes, such as a new stock and base. I haven't heard anything negative about the new rifles like I did with the older models. The one thing that FN really shit the bed on was their rendition of the DBM bottom metal. Their factory magazines are crappy in my opinion. I replaced my OE bottom metal with CDI precision AI mags, and I believe that was the best thing I could have done. AICS mags are awesome. </div></div>

While you are correct that there were two DRAMATICALLY different generation SPRs, your statement regarding the problems is incorrect. The first Generation SPRs all had HS Precision stocks and Chrome Lined barrels made from M240 blanks. You would be hard-pressed to find a complaint about these.

The Second Gen SPRs all had a McMillan stock of some sort and a chrome lined barrel specifically designed for the SPR---and also now had multiple variations available. These are the ones that had some problems with the barrel lining--and the story goes that those rifles made around the time of the closing of the USRAC plant tend to be the ones with problems.

In any event, the SPR action is stout, dependable, and an extremely capable base on which to build an accurate, robust rifle. Screw the FN barrels.

I believe they made about 750 of the first gen with the HS stock. The first few hundred had some turkeys in the batch with chamber problems and other defects. I had one that had a chamber problem and a crown where the anode for the Chrome lining had touched down and melted the sharp edge. FN replaced it with one that had a good chamber and a different designed crown. The first one had a constant 11 degree (I believe) dish and a sharp edge. The later one had a compound angle, with the final transition to the bore at a 45 degree angle. The replacement is scary accurate and easy as heck to shoot.
I also have an A3G, and it shoots very well also. It may be more mechanically accurate than the first one. The wider fore end of the HS makes that one ride the bags better, off the bipod, I would give the nod to the A3G.
Ones produced around the closing of New Haven (I think they made a big batch to see them through the transition to SC) might be more problematic.
Why they never came out with a decent, higher capacity factory mag is a wonder.

I was told by a couple of police shooters and my gun store buddy, along with an FN rep that the old version SPR was sub par. All of them had either owned, shot, or worked on the rifle, and found issues with the rifle. I never handled one myself, but I deemed the information to be from reliable sources. Like I said, I have had zero issues with my SPR, and I would highly recommend one to anyone looking for a factory precision rifle.

I bought a FN A3G about 2 1/2 years ago.
It never shot as good as I expected it to, so I sent it to GA Precision for a new barrel , pillar bedding, trigger adj. ect.
It shot great when I got it back, but for the overall cost It would have been alot cheaper to go full custom the first time around. Serial # was in the 166-- range which I found out later had issues with the barrel. I still have the fluted A3 take off barrel if someone needs a tomato stake.
Bob

This is a surprising post, I had an SPR A1 that was a .5MOA or better gun w/any quality ammo I fed through it.
The FN A3G, as I understand it, is even better. And ALL of the rifles come w/the factory test target, one I'm looking at showing a .25MOA group (granted it's only 3 shots).

Anyone have any idea of the serial number range of when these rifles had problems? I recently purchased a used SPR-A1 in the FN200xx serial # range. I have put about 300rds. of Black Hills 175's thru it and have had no problems at all. I can get .5moa when I do my part. I really like this rifle.

Yeah you have one of the bad ones..How much you want for it
laugh.gif

Hello to all, I've been lurking for a while and considering picking up an A3G for a starter piece. I was wondering if it the floor plate can be removed and adapted to accept a magazine? And if so which one would it be?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello to all, I've been lurking for a while and considering picking up an A3G for a starter piece. I was wondering if it the floor plate can be removed and adapted to accept a magazine? And if so which one would it be? </div></div>

our own CDI makes such a set up

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/index.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah you have one of the bad ones..How much you want for it
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Damn...OK, give me fifty bucks for it...
laugh.gif

I own an A3G and have shot many other FN bolt rifles. They are held to a much higher production standard than the standard SPR line. Mine came from the factory .25 MOA but have shot as good as .1. You have to remember that the FBI spec'd these out and they have to shoot .5 MOA or better after 10,000 rounds. It's easy to see that these are not on the line next to the other SPR's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike107</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can get .05moa when I do my part.</div></div>
So... you've basically gone from shooting a ragged hole, to shooting in the exact same hole. That's pretty impressive.

And that would be 1/2" at 1,000 yards, right?

Thanks, and the main difference between the A3G and A5M is the hinged floorplate, green stock, and full hand bedded, right?

I had an A1 years ago, and sold it when I was laid off from Sony, I LOVED that rifle, wish I still had it.

I havn't kept up with their nomenclature but they are all essentially the same in the SPRs.Some are fluted some 20" etc but the actions are the same.The A3gs are factory bedded the rest are not.

To be honest the best way to go is buy anction from CDNN.Orde the Mcmillan or Manners the way you want it.Get a Barrel from some one like Rock,Hart,Shillen etc.Then a bottom metal from Jeff at CDI.

Get one of the Hide smiths to screw it all together and you will have a custom stick for about the same bucks.

Action with bm and Near 20 moa base $400
barrel $300
stock $450-750
CDI $210
Gunsmithing bill $7-$900
-$100 sell factory bm
------------------------------
$1960-$2460

I do like your idea, and have already been down that path; but by the time I figure everything I wanted, and had William Roscoe build it for me, I'd have closer to $3K in it.

I like these becuase of the chrome-lined BBL if you can believe it... and if I can find one sub $1750 range, I'm coming out nearly a grand ahead.

I suffer an FN SPR A1,but it is easy to do much better and for less.

I hear that, but all of them I have seen/shot have been sub .5MOA and pleasurable to shoot. They look great, last forever, and have little to no recoil. I'm a fan, sorry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlockandRoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear that, but all of them I have seen/shot have been sub .5MOA and pleasurable to shoot. They look great, last forever, and have little to no recoil. I'm a fan, sorry. </div></div>

"Looks" are subjective and probably the last thing I'd worry about. "Forever" is a long time and too many have puked already,to take such contrived nonsense seriously. I'm unaware of a single 10lb+ 308Win that doesn't shoot soft.

If the FN were the only rifle I've ever shot,perhaps I'd be far more impressed...but due to the fact that it is but one upon a lengthy list,I find them easy to walk past in extrapolation.

If they took full advantage of the 3"+ COAL latitudes inherent that receiver and gave the platform more thought to balance/handling and chamberings,it would be far more sound in contrast.

I'd much rather have an LTR,if only because I have some.

Never had any problems with mine its a FN SPR A5 M an outstanding rifle,much better than any Remington I have owned including my 40x.The Fn is in the 162xx range...