• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

any opinions inthe choate stocks?

champ198

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2010
got this rem 700 7mm mag a few nights ago and working up a parts list of stuff I'll need
this is going to be my first magnum caliber gun for some longer range shooting but is also going to double as a hunting rifle as well.
most if the parts I have figured out other than a stock. I'm not planning at this time on changeling out the barrel, and I know most of you would say it does need changed. it has a factory contour 26" barrel on it now. and the problem I'm finding is most stocks call for a varmint contour which mine is not
so was looking at the choate stocks and was going to see what you all thought of them
i know they are not a Mcmillian but building this on a budget

Re: any opinions inthe choate stocks?

I have owned two choate stocks.

They have performed very well but they are heavy.

They are also intended for heavy barrel rifles (even more so than other stocks). The extra room around your barrel won't hurt anything..

Since you want a hunting rifle, I highly suggest the Bell and Carlson M40 style long action stock. They are significantly lighter, are very well made and only run about 230 bucks. They also sport a full length aluminum bedding block.

First try out of the box was a choate... Save you pennies, eat some extra ramen, and get a B&C YMMV

I have several Choate stock and I like them their tactical stock is mot that heavy. Anyway I like the heavier stocks but I don't hunt anymore. For me they where all on a budget builds but that's what happens sometimes all that counts that you have fun and are safe.

I seen a choat sniper at the Tulsa gun show last weekend. I was impressed by the stock, that was until I looked at the bedding block. One thing I noticed right off was the room that it had for the recoil lug. Now this may have been an older stock and they have changed things. But it would take a tremendous amount of bedding material to fill this area. I am not even sure, by the way it looked, that it is even designed to bed. Not sure, don't know enough about them to say for certain if the Choat will allow you to bed the action and recoil lug.

I know you are on a budget and if this is what you like than get it. But from what I seen when I picked it up, Choat would not be my first budget option. Bell & Carlson for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rezmedic54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have several Choate stock and I like them their tactical stock is mot that heavy. Anyway I like the heavier stocks but I don't hunt anymore. For me they where all on a budget builds but that's what happens sometimes all that counts that you have fun and are safe. </div></div>

+1 Right on about that! It all comes down to enjoyment in the end anyway.

thank you all for the info I have some time to work on this thig so not in a huge hurry just always like to have some kind of plan on something like this
i have a few things that will go in the gun first but this gives me some ideas thanks again

My frankenstevens consistently shoots in the 1/2 moa range (5rds prone in the grass with a Harris bipod @ 100 yds) in my Choate stock. That being said the damn thing is heavy but I still carry it 5-6 miles a day when hunting and I'm not a big guy. I have found the accuracy potential to be excellent but do wish it was a bit lighter.