• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Any Point to a 20 MOA Mount on 223/556?

gunsandgear

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2018
I have an old 20 MOA mount I am debating recycling onto a SPR type build with either a 14.5" or 18" high-end barrel. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to running a 20 MOA mount on a 223/556 platform? Seems kind of pointless to me since I probably won't need the extra adjustment range with that platform but I'm a newbie so you guys tell me. Thanks.

What range are you intending to shoot it at? If you're wanting to push the limits of the .223/5.56, then you'll probably want it. If memory serves, it would have taken me 13.7mil to reach 1,000y with an 18" SPR build when I was considering one. I decided to just stick with .308 for now, but I do want an SPR eventually and will definitely be using a one piece mount with 20MOA built in so I'm using less of the scope's elevation and preserving the optical quality a bit more. That, and I was going to use a S&B 4-16x42 single turn (12mil) turret scope at the time.

Until I found my 2.5-10x24NXS I ran a 22MOA Badger Riser with the 3.5-10M3 and the 2.5-10x32NXS. (I don't care for the ARMS
QD rings) It allowed me flexibility with my ring height choice, as well as netting me the extra elevation. Furthest I shoot my mk12 is 750y. I wouldn't have needed the extra 22moa so it's not technically necessary but it doesn't hurt either. If I was buying a riser or an extended rail I'd buy one with 20-30 MOA taper unless I was running a fixed 10X M3.

Got a 20 inch Bartlein being spun up for an AR as we speak. Guess time will tell if the 0 MOA Badger uni mount is a range limiter paired with a Bushnell HDMR II

Since you already have it I don't think there is really any downside as long as it provides you the eye relief and height you want. You get the added elevation for that just in case scenario you weren't planning on as well.

Only disadvantage I can see is if you could use it on another build in the future and have a 0 MOA you could use on this rig. If you aren't shooting past 500, I wouldn't bother.

Reactions: gunsnjeeps
This will be shot at 50-1,000 yards max but I think most shooting will be within 600 yards.

This will be shot at 50-1,000 yards max but I think most shooting will be within 600 yards.

Depending on how much elevation your scope has, it may be needed for 1k if you run a shorter barrel. If it is not needed, it still will not have any negative effects. I would just run it and if you need it elsewhere later then snag a new mount at that point.

I've been wrong before but with a shorter barrel I'd say probably not. For a 20 inch barrel 1K is a challenge. Light bullets, even 85's, and lots of wind.

I also did it with iron sights, so crank the front sight down and use a high rear sight, not sure how far with a scope.

A few posts between typing and posting.

Thank you for all the info guys. I think I'm going to run with the 20 MOA mount for now since I already have it and if I need to in the future I will repurpose that mount and replace it with one that has no cant.