• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any problems with "tipped" match bullets in mags

pawprint

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2009
Are any of you shooting bullets that have been run through a Hooover tipping die? I know the BC goes up, but does your OAL change? If so are you having any problems with feeding. I'm amazed at how high the BC on the Tipped Sierra 155 Palma's is! Now that Sierra is offering both the 155Palma and the 155Palma (tipped) you'll have to be careful noting which you loading in your load data! According to Sierra, the 155 "tipped" has almost the same BC as the 175 Sierra Match King!

Re: Any problems with "tipped" match bullets in mags

No change it only swages the tip so it has a closed tip, It does not lengthen it.

Re: Any problems with "tipped" match bullets in mags

In all the photos I've seen it appears that the "tipped" bullets are just a tiny bit longer than the "untipped", before and after if you will. I guess if your trimming is done with OAL in mind the final product wouldn't have any difference in average OAL. Isn't it amazing how just changing the shape, rather than the weight of a projectile has such a dramatic effect on a bullet? I'm sure this is why Sierra couldn't resist tipping their very fine 155 Palma's.