• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Any reason *not* to go with Badger DBM?

BigBrother

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2007
New England
Hey all - I'm swapping out my bottom metal here, and I've been only glancingly reading the threads on one DBM vs. another (I was somewhat interested in mag compatibility). I can't remember what the verdict usually is, but if I'm just going with a standard Remington 700 in .308, is there any reason for me *not* to go with the Badger?

Thanks!

Re: Any reason *not* to go with Badger DBM?

I run Badger M5's on all my bolt guns. IMOP it is a good product, I have not had a chance to compare it to any others out there but it serves my purpose just fine.

Only downfall is when at a match the COF calls for a max of 3 rds loaded and only 1 magazine each string.....so that the guys that have blind mags or BDL metal are equalled and you have an extra $400 sitting under your rifle that you can't really use!!!
laugh.gif

Other than that there are no complaints!

Got Badgers DBMs on all my rifles and they work great. No complaints or reasons not to get them.

The Badger mag latch is far too proud for my tastes and pursuits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FreshKills</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Badger mag latch is far too proud for my tastes and pursuits. </div></div>

By proud I understand you mean large. Can you cut/file it to taste?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FreshKills</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Badger mag latch is far too proud for my tastes and pursuits.</div></div>

Yeah and when you need to hit it fast at a match you won't miss it. I have never had it get in the way and catch on anything. I like the design.

Rob, I noticed the mag well is really pronounced on the Surgeons. You ever have any issue loading the Badger quickly or mid-string with its well?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FreshKills</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Badger mag latch is far too proud for my tastes and pursuits.</div></div>

Yeah and when you need to hit it fast at a match you won't miss it. I have never had it get in the way and catch on anything. I like the design. </div></div>

I'll greedily take an unobtrusive push button release over a ghastly protruding lever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FreshKills</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FreshKills</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Badger mag latch is far too proud for my tastes and pursuits.</div></div>

Yeah and when you need to hit it fast at a match you won't miss it. I have never had it get in the way and catch on anything. I like the design. </div></div>

I'll greedily take an unobtrusive push button release over a ghastly protruding lever.</div></div>

Have at it then. Your money.

Bigbrother, nope have never had any troubles loading.

Money isn't an object,but that protrusion assuredly is.

To some but not all.

Should someone require the merits of a non obtrusive release explained to them,all bets are off anyhow.

I've owned both. No reason not to go with Badger... but I prefer Surgeon DBM.

Never seen the Badger latch present a problem no matter where it has been run or how...

AI is pretty much the same and its a non-issue there as well.

Should someone require the merits of a larger lever when needing speed and fine motor skills are lost in the stress situation of an action sport then I guess I can explain that as well. Little buttons are lost. Not everyone is taking one or two shots on game Nobody. Some need to drop mags fast and reload.

LL and Nobody in the same thread...As for the Badger DBM, it is a nice piece of equipment and you could always trim the latch if it was too large for you. Doubt you will know the difference.

Josh

ETA: I just took a look at the Surgeon DBM and it has a release that closely resembles the one on my TRG-22, which I love. Having just looked at and not played with the Surgeon, I would give it the nod due to the mag release.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should someone require the merits of a larger lever when needing speed and fine motor skills are lost in the stress situation of an action sport then I guess I can explain that as well. Little buttons are lost. Not everyone is taking one or two shots on game Nobody. Some need to drop mags fast and reload. </div></div>

I'd happily put on display,the pile of primers I shoot in a year's time as quantification.

Next it will be a protruding lever release on 1911's,because somebody galloping around on a Golf Course thought it "novel"? Or perhaps a pole vault cylinder latch for wheelguns,along similar lines? Nawwwww.

There's much to be said for ergonomic simplicity and a protruding lever is an "answer" to none of that. Less is very often more.

I have only seen the protruding latch present a problem one time. A competitor was shooting off a concrete block using his bipod legs at the very front edge of the block. It just so happened that the M5 latch was resting directly on the concrete at the rear. First shot and his mag was released with the recoil. If he had used a bag or his support hand under the grip of his stock it wouldn't have been an issue.

I like the badger - like Rob, never had a problem. I use the AI stock mostly and mag changes are quick and easy.

Good Luck,
JamieD

You see, Lowlight, even on my best behavior, divisive postings seem to follow me around.

I'm no good, I tell ya
wink.gif

Uh, I think everyone knows that FreshKills is NOBODY already. It's really not that hard to figure out.

^ Exactly. So far he has been on his best behavior. We'll see what happens

Josh

To answer the original question. There is no reason at all to NOT go with the badger. I have badger on several of my rifles and like it alot. I've got surgeon on one rifle and like it better. Like many others have posted there is no problem with the big release lever on the badger. I do like that the surgeon bottom metal is beveled and easier to get a mag in under pressure.

Why no suggestions for Seekins or CDI?
Both are great companies and both Jeff and Glenn are active on the hide.
Just saying, Keithr41

Maybe his next screen name will be "The Riddler." Yeah we'll see how it goes.

As far as the DBMs...I elected Surgeon. I'm sure both are excellent though.

1) surgeon for ergonomics, quality, asthetics
2) cdi for price
3) seekins for cool factor, novelty
4) badger to me it is cdi but way more expensive

I have a sample of all but the seekins to compare. Surgeon I will definitely do again. If I was on a budget cdi would fit the bill. The others. I dont know

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why no suggestions for Seekins or CDI?
Both are great companies and both Jeff and Glenn are active on the hide.
Just saying, Keithr41 </div></div>

I would also like some feedback on the Seekins.

dms.gif

I'm running the Surgeon on my GAP. I really like it. It's well made and easy to use with both my trigger finger, to drop the mag quickly, or use my thumb while grasping the magazine. It's a great system.

Funny thing though, I called GAP to have them install it for me and they wouldn't touch it. Said they would only do Badger. Ended up doing it myself. Turned out great!!

I run a Seekins.

I like the push button release, but the mags are 5 rounds only and temperamental at best. The follower has a tendency to stick to the sides letting the bolt slide over the top of the next round.

I find the lever to work awesome actually.

Dump mag. Push lever with thumb. Mag falls out. Slam in another.

I also like the ergos of the Badger, mostly the large trigger guard. It is easy to slip your finger in when under timed/stress match.

Badger +1

GG

PS I do not have any experience with the surgeon though.

Seekins uses their own mags, I would be interested in others opinions on the Seekins DBM especially mag problems, sticky followers.

I think Glen may be coming out with a new design that will take the AI mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drmarc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FreshKills writing style seems awfully familliar....
smile.gif
</div></div>

Don't get too used to it as it seems it will go the way it always does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Glen may be coming out with a new design that will take the AI mags. </div></div>

yeah, I just got off the phone with a gunsmith friend of mine and the unofficial word is that Seekins is going to release a new DBM that is AISC compatible. When? Soon (maybe). I think (but maybe not).

I've had nothig but problems with my Seekins DBM system. I thought it was just the fact my mag was a "older" unit. When I FINALLY got them to sell me two more mags, they exibit the same faults. Stick with a system that uses AICS mags. You'll be MUCH happier In the long run.

My bolt slides right over the rounds In the mag and there is absolutly no way you'll do a fast mag change. It takes a perfect position of the mag to get it In the mag well.

I have Badger gear on 2 different rifles. It works fine for me.

Badger on most of mine and have no complaints.

Also have Seekins and CDI....no problems with either of them.

Just comes down to taste and options you prefer, in my opinion, they all make top notch gear.

Yeah, I don't need another problematic system, that's for sure. I went with HS-P despite the generally negative rep - exhibited all the problems I'm hearing now with Seekins.

He has never shot a match so how would he know?
He is only good at shooting one thing off.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FreshKills</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Badger mag latch is far too proud for my tastes and pursuits.</div></div>

Not soon enough....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drmarc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FreshKills writing style seems awfully familliar....
smile.gif
</div></div>

Don't get too used to it as it seems it will go the way it always does. </div></div>

I would only use a Badger or a Surgeon , and of those in SA , I like the Surgeon more , as I would run it with std AW mags and cut down AW mags , and as such would like the lower profile catch when used with a chopped AW mag .

I like the extra support & protection offerd by the Surgeon design , and I like the looks .

Later Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ECH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have only seen the protruding latch present a problem one time. A competitor was shooting off a concrete block using his bipod legs at the very front edge of the block. It just so happened that the M5 latch was resting directly on the concrete at the rear. First shot and his mag was released with the recoil. If he had used a bag or his support hand under the grip of his stock it wouldn't have been an issue.
</div></div>

If the release wasn't a foot long,there'd be no if.

Personally,I like those kind of "odds".