• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Any reason to choose 700p over 700 SPS?

BugInJim

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2011
OH
Couple of local deals on these. Both are the current production .308 models.

Keeping in mind that I will be swapping the barreled action into a new sausage finger friendly stock (AICS)... Is there any reason to choose the 700p over the 700 SPS? Difference is about $300 which I'm assuming is mostly the stock on the 700p.

Thanks,

@BugInJim

Re: Any reason to choose 700p over 700 SPS?

Save yourself the money and get the SPS, if you are going to drop it into an AICS. They are the same Action and barrel. The only difference is the stock, metal finish and barrel length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogonzalez13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Save yourself the money and get the SPS, if you are going to drop it into an AICS. They are the same Action and barrel. The only difference is the stock, metal finish and barrel length.</div></div>

+1, unless you want the longer barrel.

Ok that's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure they weren't doing something additional to the police model like better trigger or action truing.

Thanks,

@BugInJim

Counting the stock out from the get-go the only difference between a 700SPS Varmint and a 700P is the finish on the metal. A 700P is parkerized, while all of the SPS series is bead blast blued.

I am aware of three different variants of the SPS, and this comes in to play for your purposes.

The SPS Varmint has a 26" heavy contour barrel, and the only difference in that and a 700P is the metal finish and stock. (I got this, and added an HS Precision stock... So my rifle is basically a 700P, except with the wrong metal finish.)

The SPS Tactical has a 20" heavy contour barrel, which is shorter than the 700P's 26" barrel. The stock is a Hogue and the finish is the same as the other SPS rifles.

The SPS has a thin profile barrel, of the hunting variety. I am not sure on barrel length, I believe it is 26". The stock and metal finish are the same as the SPS Varmint.

Bought a .308 Rem. 700-V ADL from Dicks Sporting Goods for a build. The exact same action. $449.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bought a .308 Rem. 700-V ADL from Dicks Sporting Goods for a build. The exact same action. $449. </div></div>

The 700-V ADL at the local Dicks here was $549
frown.gif

I have the SPS and love it. But if I could I would go with the 700P. Not sure why because I couldnt ask for better accuracy out of my sps, but something about the 700P just catches me...

The 700 SPS .308 is a 24" barrel. Other than that, ColtTX nailed it. I'd go with the SPS Varmint or the SPS "tactical". Personally, I hate the stupid "tactical" stamped on a rifle. Its retarded mall-ninja BS. I'd go with the SPS Varmint and let the smith rechamber it with a nice tight match-reamer and throat it to the bullet you plan to use, and cut/recrown the barrel at 20". You'll end up with a tack-driver.

I'd spend the extra on the P. You can sell the HS Precision stock and make up most of the difference in the price, and then you have a parkerized 700p barreled action for similar money to a SPS. Then, if you ever sell it, it will be worth more, as a 700p in an AICS is worth more than a SPS Tactical in an AICS.

I have both a sps-v .308 and a 700p .300wm. the only differences in my rifles are the 700p has a h s precision stock a 40x trigger and had a different looking crown. The bottom metals seem to be the same. The finishes also looked the same Plus both of them started rusting on me after getting damp.

My sps-v has shot under .5" at 100 yards with hand loads and also shot a 6.5"@ 806 yards with military ball ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd spend the extra on the P. You can sell the HS Precision stock and make up most of the difference in the price, and then you have a parkerized 700p barreled action for similar money to a SPS. Then, if you ever sell it, it will be worth more, as a 700p in an AICS is worth more than a SPS Tactical in an AICS. </div></div>
I think this is a exelent way to look at this.

One interesting difference is that the 700p does not have the child safety lock built into the bolt. I am not sure if that makes the bolt more robust.

To the people saying talking about how the 700P has a parkerized finish. What does that have to do with accuracy ? Besides the stock I don't see why you would want to spend extra dollars when you can save some. My SPS Tac shoots some super accurate groups if I do my part in reloads and shooting.

Aron-