• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any reason to Choose Remington 700p over 5r?

Re: Any reason to Choose Remington 700p over 5r?

The 5R has 5R rifling, thus the name. Generally speaking, the 5R rifles are one of the best buys out there for a rifle that performs very well, usually 1/2-moa or better. I would only consider a 700P if I couldn't spend the extra $200 to get the 5R, or you have to have it in black. I had my first 5R (308) Bearcoated in FBI flat black, so there's another option.

If you must have it in black, order a can of AlumaHyde-II from Brownells and coat the 5R. It's an easy spray job and there's plenty in a $13 can to do at least 3 rifles.

Alumahyde is generally very resistant to oils, solvents, etc and very tough. It is known to be completely useless against "Wipeout" though, so keep that in mind when you're cleaning with it.

I'd put the money into the 5R over the 700P

Well it depends if you just want the action for the platform or not.

If i had no other choice, i'd get a SPS or P, and put a rock creek 5r barrel on. (assuming i had to go the 5r route)

Remington isnt known for their mirror smooth barrels....

Been reading off this forum for some time; just joined.

I purchased my 5R back in Feb. Absolutely wonderful gun. Last weekend I shot a .264moa 3-shot group. My buddy has a 700P and cant quite keep up. Its still a great gun though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Remington isnt known for their mirror smooth barrels.... </div></div>

The 5R comes with a hammer forged barrel, the finish is significantly nicer in this than the bored/buttoned barrels.

hey guys maybe a dumb question here but probably a decent place to ask it but where do you get a 5r 700 cause I checked remington.com and didnt get anything there?

theres a guy that did a big write up on the 5R's.Scot something if I'm right.he went on to who he tested the 5R and how great it shoot with little testing even with reloads.told all that he and a friend did while testing the rifel.but all in all he even said it OUT SHOT his 700P rifel.so if this helps you out with picking a rifel great.

but will add saying mine shoots like a charm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dick G.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey guys maybe a dumb question here but probably a decent place to ask it but where do you get a 5r 700 cause I checked remington.com and didnt get anything there? </div></div>

Remington has a law enforcement website where you can find their tactical rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rogers0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for a Rifle in 300 Win Mag. Other then the difference in price, is there any reason to choose a Remington 700P over the 5r? </div></div>

IMHO, the differences don't justify the extra cost.

5r, stainless action and barrel. To me, that justifies the added cost.

Aren't all Remington barrels hammer forged? They do it as a cost savings and if properly done can result in excellent barrels. If properly done.

Most of them get painted anyway, so definitely not worth twice the price to me.

Especially sense the factory barrel would get changed eventually too.

Dick, the 5R's are made to spec for one distributor only. The name excapes me right now. There are only a limited number produced each year. You wont find any info on the 5R on any Remington site.

My 2 cents. 5R for the barrel and stainless, paint is cheap.

-T

I have both the P in 223 and the 5R in 308. I would pay the extra and get the 5R too. Shooting wise, they both shoot great. I had a helluva time finding a load for my 5R. I was almost to the point of cutting the throat when I hit a load it loved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tlsmith22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both the P in 223 and the 5R in 308. I would pay the extra and get the 5R too. Shooting wise, they both shoot great. I had a helluva time finding a load for my 5R. I was almost to the point of cutting the throat when I hit a load it loved. </div></div>

+1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5R milspec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">theres a guy that did a big write up on the 5R's.Scot something if I'm right.he went on to who he tested the 5R and how great it shoot with little testing even with reloads.told all that he and a friend did while testing the rifel.but all in all he even said it OUT SHOT his 700P rifel.so if this helps you out with picking a rifel great.

but will add saying mine shoots like a charm. </div></div>
Scott Powers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neo223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tlsmith22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both the P in 223 and the 5R in 308. I would pay the extra and get the 5R too. Shooting wise, they both shoot great. I had a helluva time finding a load for my 5R. I was almost to the point of cutting the throat when I hit a load it loved. </div></div>

+1. </div></div>

+100 Mine has been a pain also. I wonder why the 5Rs are like this? I have heard of many being finicky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tangodown911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

+100 Mine has been a pain also. I wonder why the 5Rs are like this? I have heard of many being finicky.</div></div>

What load ended up working for you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iggy.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tangodown911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

+100 Mine has been a pain also. I wonder why the 5Rs are like this? I have heard of many being finicky.</div></div>

What load ended up working for you? </div></div>

Knew you'd find this thread.
Tagged.

Mmmmm as long as it works it doesnt matter

My 700P with its factory barrel and tuned loads can shoot 0.5 or less out to 400 yards if i do my part.

For a factory barrel i think thats fantastic. When the time comes I will invest in a match grade barrel and would hope that it would shoot just as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iggy.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tangodown911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What load ended up working for you? </div></div>

FC necksized .337 bushing
RL15 43.2 or same weight in IMR 4064
BR2

PM me for more loads

Hijack over...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrtoyz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dick, the 5R's are made to spec for one distributor only. The name excapes me right now. There are only a limited number produced each year. You wont find any info on the 5R on any Remington site.

-T </div></div>

As you said, they are not on any Rem website. So where do you get them if you are not in LE?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c1steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrtoyz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dick, the 5R's are made to spec for one distributor only. The name excapes me right now. There are only a limited number produced each year. You wont find any info on the 5R on any Remington site.

-T </div></div>

As you said, they are not on any Rem website. So where do you get them if you are not in LE? </div></div>

Google shows this:

http://www.snipercountrypx.com/

I bought mine on GunBroker and there are always some for sale there, a friend of mine just bought one yesterday from a dealer.

CT Firearms and Tactical is a Hide sponsor, and they had one in stock the last time I was in the store. If you're looking for one, give Rob or Darin a call at 203-298-4343.