• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Any recommendations for a gun vise?

dlouie87

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2010
CA
Hello,

I'm looking for some type of gun vise to help secure my rifles so I can run a guide rod through them and not damage the barrel. Last time I cleaned my barrel or tried to do maintenance on the rifles, it was a pain in the A** so I would like to invest in one now.

I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg on some of them that I have found. Budget is around 75-100 bucks. Or if someone can make one, that'll be nice too!

Do any of you have homemade ones that I can see?

If this is in the wrong section, let me know... I'll move it to the rifle section.

Re: Any recommendations for a gun vise?

Just for cleaning, I use a Tipton Gun Vise. Cheap and works good enough for me. Runs about $50.

Got my BIL one of the MTM shooting/ rifle maintenance center deals for Christmas. Messed with it a little before I wrapped it and it seems like it will hold up. I have an older version and have used it for 15+ years. Holds a rifle securely enough to clean, mount a scope, etc. I got his for $30 at Academy.

I've put pictures up before, of the one that I'd built. I used less than a sheet of plywood for it, and made the hinges myself out of 81X chain link. I had a buddy spin me off a few pivot bushings for the vice-clamp.

Then padded all the contact points and vice jaws, and covered said padding with a chamois for polishing cars. If that leather is good enough to 'rub off' a car, then it'll do nicely to both grip and protect any fancy wood/fiberglass that may be put in there.

Lastly, I picked up a used ironing board from some garbage-sale or Sally-Ann (I can't remember where) and attached it to the bottom of the cradle base. This way, it is both height-adjustable AND collapsible for transport and/or clearing out of the way.

Putting a few height-adjustments in both the grip support and fore-end support is the last thing I'm doing, for even more 'universatility'.

Point is, with your own time, patience, and minimal materials, you can make exactly what you want, that covers your needs, and is as strong and stable as you require.

I use a "Tipton's best", from which I removed the feet and screwed it down to my bench. Works well for everything from bolt guns to ARs to SxS shotguns.

i wanted the Tipton "BestGun" vise but my brother got me the Lyman for my birthday and i'm happy with it. like all the least expensive models it is made mostly of plastic.
you can lock your weapon in it securely and it can be rotated about 45* one way or the other.
overall i think it works out pretty good for what it costs.
Midway and Midsouth both have it. Midsouth has them for $9 less right now! here's what it looks like, Midways ad.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/751993/lyman-revolution-gun-vise

I have one of the MTM Gun Vises that I've used for quite a few years for cleaning rifles. Holds the rifle pretty securely, has trays for your solvents, brushs etc and has held up well. They cost less than $50.00.