• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Any revolver shooters? Show em

Travis224

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2010
Council Bluffs, Iowa
I currently shoot a S&W 686 7 shot and compete against semi autos in my clubs matches. I been winning it in both the limit10 and high capacity classes. Its cut for moons so that speeds up reloads. I like it because its usually 4stages and unlimited shots with 24-28 hits required. You can declare a miss but there is a time penalty.

I run a 686+ in a IDPA club match. Shot it once last year, and didn't place last. Hopefully going to go out again in August of this year. The only change I made was the switch from HKS to 5star loaders. The HKS were sensitive to rim thickness and some rounds would release slowly.

Here is a picture of mine:

Photo Album - Imgur

*edit* Excuse the cobra in the pics, that album was for a post awhile ago comparing my carry pieces.

Last edited:
I enjoy older S&W revolvers. I get a laugh every time I go to the indoor range and while the young crowd is struggling to hit the target with their new blaster... I can shoot clover leaf groups at 7 yards with my snubbie and headshots at 25 yards with old model 10's and K38's. My K22's have introduced many new shooters to the sport.

I still appreciate my Glocks and 1911 but in my heart...Any S&W made before the 1980 moves me.

Bump into me when the weather is approaching 100 degrees. I might have taken off the heavy gear.... But I never leave the house with a J frame in my pocket....

I shoot a Model 64 in most of the matches I shoot, using Comp III speedloaders.

GEDC2143.JPG

Except for Bowling Pins, I use this Model 28 w/357s. This is the service revolver I used for most of my 20 years on the Anchorage Police Dept. The Dept. let me keep the revolver when I retired. You hit those pins with LSWCs going 1300 + fps, you don't have to shoot them twice to get them off the table.

Model%2028.JPG

My constant companion, always in my pocket, my 642.

sandw642.jpg

I'm still a revolver shooter but probably more of a Collector than anything. Still enjoy my SIG X-5 , my suppressed HK Tactical and the EB and Wilson 1911's...But still a revolver Man at heart.

Carried a 4" M-19 in the mid 1970's on my first cop job in NJ. Moved out to MT and the Hwy Patrol issued 4" M-28's. Still have that 28, bought it when we went to Autos.

I carry a 3" M-66-2 as a field gun quite a bit and carried a 3" M-696 .44 Spcl when I guided elk hunters. The .44 with 250 Keith slugs at 950 fps was a great "finisher" on wounded game, plus we were in bear country anyway and I seldom carried a rifle.

My M-66-2 Three inch.

FN in MT

Last edited:
Mississippi enacted an "enhanced" carry law...basically you can carry with the permit almost anywhere except in a courtroom during a trial and in a few federally protected" areas. I took the course with my 66-2 snubbie because I was recovering from hand surgery and wanted to use wadcutters. At the range, the instructor took all the semi drivers off to teach them and allow them to practice clearing drills. He told me to just go shoot all I wanted. The semi guys complained, "Why can he shoot and we have to wait?" He told them that in the event of a stoppage they needed to know how to clear it. "That guy", meaning me, "only has to crook his finger again". End of discussion.

One of my favorite revos. An old 625JM. It has an Apex 4.5 trigger job that has been rock solid for about 20-30K rounds.

Lately I have been shooting my 627s and 617 a lot more.

I only have two revolvers, but I'm a fan. I carry a Ruger LCR pretty much daily as an off-duty gun. No pics.

My other is this thing I just Cerakoted myself a few months ago. I'm happy with how it turned out. Took this thing through the revolver phase of my state's firearms instructor program, and did very well with it. I like it. It's now a nightstand gun for the wife, and was a step in teaching the kids how to shoot pistols.

IMG_0202_zps71a1e3eb.jpg

Gotta have a good wheel gun with the auto-loaders.......

I have been looking into the 625JM..for my range, the 45 would be great for dropping steel poppers, and bowling pin matches. I understand dropping from 7 shot to 6 shot but from what i hear, the 45 loads so much easier. Not to mention, i welcome the challenge of figuring out how to tackle a 27 or 28 target course.

Picked these up a couple months ago at my LGS.

The Model 19 was representative of my first police duty handgun after I got out of the Air Force.

The Model 25, 45 Colt was what I carried when on a Warrant squad with the US Marshal's Service.

The original grips also came with each. The consignment prices were crazy low so I had to take them both home with me!

IMG_11336.jpg

I really love these threads. You all have some really nice wheel guns.

A few K22s

Nickel 19-3

Though I had pics of a few more to share but can't find them.

I think those of us who started out with revolvers will always have a love for them. I still have my 40 year old model 67 duty weapon, as well as a number of other older S&W's.

There really weren't many choices in semi autos other than 1911's or hi powers at that time, so revolvers, Smith or Colt, were the go to guns.

S&W Model 29-6
Purchased from a fellow hide member while home with food poisoning, watching Dirty Harry....always wanted one..
I still have the Hogue grips but for display the SB target grips...

SandWModel29.jpg

SandWModel29b.jpg

And of course my VERY TRUSTY S&W 642 airweight.

SW642.jpg

Here are mine S&W Model 66 no dash Pinned and recessed from 1978. A S&W model 60 from the 1982 not pictured a S&W Model 17 also from the early 1980's. I shot the 66 in IDPA and did really good with it. Though I don't compete with pistols any more I simply love that gun.

Last edited:
I mainly shoot/own revolvers. Here are a few of my favorites

S&W Registered Magnum
_MG_3076.jpg

S&W 27-2 with ivory grips
0b01deb9.jpg

S&W K22 with 3 digit serial number
IMG_3057.jpg

My collection of S&W 627's, all pre lock
IMG_3049_crop.jpg

S&W 25-2 with Keith Brown grips
F28A08EC-CBEC-4F94-A87A-DE3BA8B12463-1919-000002FCB82E2195_zps1c950a2e.jpg

Got many but these are some of my favorite smiths, at least
Right= custom 586 ppc, one of the smoothest DA u have felt.
Top = a glen's custom 38 model 10
Bottom= a Fred Schmidt model 10 wadcutter only conversion
1d388bc1.jpg

Get the lead out!- Daily open carry and many years in the woods with this security six, 4" wheel guns feel like a snubby to me now!

Last edited:
I bought my brother a S and W TRR8 as a comissioning present ( he is now a brand spankin new cavalry officer in the Army, just waiting for his post assignment ). What do you all think of the trr8/R8?

I don't know that particular firearm. But, I am a fan of any wheel Gun!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Para, not sure... I got it in pieces from my gunsmith buddy and it has no markings other than serial number. It has .32 S&W stamped in the barrel but a .32-20 cylinder. The bore is nice and bright but the rifling is very faint so I think I'll throw a 4.75" .38 barrel on it and re chamber the cylinder for .38 special. I love old wheelguns, just had the opportunity to reassemble a Colt Lightning made in 1893, working on making it mine.

An early four inch M-57 .41 magnum. Original diamond grips were so nice I removed them and stuck them in a box for storage. Wearing a set of smooth Targets.

A pair of somewhat rare J frames. A two inch and a three inch Model 60 with the Square butt frame. The vast majority sported the Round butt frame.

An early, pre model number .44 magnum. This guy came with the original box and tools, from an Estate sale. Had been fired, but still a "survivor" from fifty plus years ago that went unmolested.

One of the few Colts I own. But one of THE Classic colts for sure....A six inch, blued Python.

Revolver love

My Grandfathers model 10 carry gun, I bought it from him. My S&W .38 Bodyguard.
Ruger .44 magnum SBH

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
I bought my brother a S and W TRR8 as a comissioning present ( he is now a brand spankin new cavalry officer in the Army, just waiting for his post assignment ). What do you all think of the trr8/R8?
I have the M&P R8 and like it tons but I like all wheel guns for the most part

Attachments

• IMG_6817.JPG
    IMG_6817.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
had a gentleman that wanted to part with this 629-1 4" today, so helped him out...not to mention I am quite pleased as well