• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any solar power folks?

hukset402

Weld On!
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2020
nebraska
TL;DR thinking about putting a solar set up on the chicken coop.

Poking around with putting a small solar set up on our coop to run somthing ti keep the water from freezing and a vent fan. Maybe a light bulb. Anyone have any luck with any solar set ups for simaler tasks?

FYI I'm electricaly dumb as hell.

No, but bilge pumps seem to be the way to keep water open vs. heating elements.

There was a video on YouTube where a farmer tried it with his livestock tank vs. the normal heating element livestock heater and the difference in cost was insane, the bilge pump was cheap. Looked it up after thinking about going with a bilge and moving water vs. a heating element and it seemed that would be the way.

Though if you're talking about a small water system for just a few chickens... may even be able to use a tiny aquarium pump.

Be interesting to see how well solar would run something like that as they should take very little power.

Reactions: MtnGhost and lash
We only have 10 chickens. (Just started) probably going to go the aquarium aerator route. Didn't think about that.

Reactions: lash
It's not hard or expensive to get a solar setup going. Older house solar panels still have TONS of life in them. Most likely the expensive part will be the MPPT controller. Batteries and cables aren't too expensive, but it can add up.

I got two house sized panels for $80 they were like 5-10 years old, they still output close to the label specs. Even better they are still under warranty for their rating.

As example:

Reactions: camocorvette
I've played with it quite a bit including hooking up some limited power to our off-grid deer cabin. I've had up to 6 large batteries and a huge inverter at times but it's down to a small inverter and single battery now to run a few lights and fans and a generator does most of the work. I have a fridge in my 4Runner connected to a 50ah Lifepo4 battery and a 100w solar panel on the roof. The fridge runs 24/7 on nothing but the sun. The easy button for you would be to get a pre-built "solar generator" such as a Bluetti EB70 and hook up a 100 watt panel to it. It will be ready to plug the panel straight in and provide 12v and 120v with multiple outputs. Bonus is that you can take it into the house in a power outage and run some things including a fridge. Downside to Lifepo4 batteries is that they will destroy themselves if you try to charge them below freezing and most of the cheaper ones don't have that built in so if that's something you need, make sure it's got that. Look up "Jasonoid" "DIY Solar with Will Prowse" and "Hobotech" on YouTube, you'll learn a lot quickly. It's become a bit of a hobby. PM me if you want more specific info.

-Dan

I'm building a large system , but have a small one up at the land for my wife's she-shed. It'll run a fan, lights and a cpap machine all night when we camp up there. Am going up tomorrow...I'll try to remember to get some pics of it.

I have a jackery solar system I tried to use to keep the bass boat batteries charged in storage. Never quite worked the way I wanted.

The jackery pack was always off when I got there. Not sure if the panel charged it to full and then it turned off or if it topped the batteries off and than sat idle long enough it turned off. Built a slick bracket to mount the panel on that used the storage unit door to secure it.
20220501_150344.jpg
20220511_083355.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: HeavyAssault
@hukset402 : That's a pretty slick setup. Did the pack end up draining down or it just stopped operating/charging?? I'm not familiar with the brand or functions.

god knows I need it on most days I am dragging on any day except range days I laugh and think I save my energy up for those days at the range , but in fact I have no energy so solar might be the answer . lol

god knows I need it on most days I am dragging on any day except range days I laugh and think I save my energy up for those days at the range , but in fact I have no energy so solar might be the answer . lol
Low-T is a real thing bro

I think I have a thread around here somewhere. A very "home made" system with off the shelf stuff. Mine started with 2 100ah batteries and 4 100W panels. Now it is at 4 batteries and 6 panels with two more to be setup. It will run everything in my shop but the 220 and high amp things, jump starter, welder..... for roughly 4 hours. That is ball park a 60A load running for 4 hours-give or take depending on what the sun is doing outside.

I have an off-grid setup on my barn...bigger than you need but as a datapoint:

1.2kw of panels, Renogy Rover 40A charge controller, 24V system, 2kw inverter. I've had it five years I think, works GREAT. Two years ago I switched from four 6V GC2 lead acid golf cart batteries to two 12V/206AH LiFePO4 batteries in series. I can run an air compressor with this, but generally it is used for lights, ceiling fans, pond aerator and battery charger.

Here's an older pic of my system:

B3NhPEJ.jpg

If I had it to do all over again today, I'd go with a 48V "all in one" system and server rack batteries...availability and cost is really improving and there are benefits to going higher voltage.

What you're asking for in a small system can be done relatively inexpensively.

@hukset402 : That's a pretty slick setup. Did the pack end up draining down or it just stopped operating/charging?? I'm not familiar with the brand or functions.
Not really sure. The pack was always full, but would turn off and not charge the boat. Tried plugging in a drop light on a timer to keep a draw on it all the time but it didn't seem to work.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
Yesterday, I was in the shop all morning, 7 to 11. Everything ran in there off of "battery". There are currently 7 100aH batteries and ~7 panels....I don't feel like counting. Battery bank dropped to 12v when I turned everything off but the AC for lunch, cutoff is IIRC 11.6v So a little ways to go.

Added 4 panels this weekend....thinking about it there has to be more then 7 of them.

Last month and the system was quite smaller I used 100Kwh less then the same month last year. I was not quite moving well till fall of last year so I don't think I was out there all that much, but some. That is at least a little something.

Currently I still need to switch off some load if I use my "big" things. If all the lights are on I can't have the belt sander on the inverter, beep, and the world goes black. Oops too much, flick that circuit back to "grid power". Same with the welder.

Grouped the batteries and ran the groups to the busbar get a little more even this way.

It has been interesting, and I have learned quite a bit. Really would like a 240v inverter, my panel will support it, then I could run the AC.

There are also mini splits that run on DC. I just started looking at that now. If I can run it straight off DC I can skip the inverter and the loss that happens there. The efficiency loss that happens there. From what I understand you want to run them around 80% of their rated output, this is their "sweet spot". Mine is around 90% as it is now.

It is quite nice thinking I can have all that on, and I already paid for what I need to have it on. I have yet to figure out what I am going to do this winter. The batteries I have are not heated, and I am not sure what I am going to do there yet. Few months to figure it out.

Reactions: MadDuner
I have 2-100 watt panels on my hunting cabin and charges 6 deep cycle batteries. It takes quite a while to charge but I dont use much when I am there so it never loses full charge.

Other extreme here...
4300sqft home, pool, 28 panels, 23Kwh batteries and my power bill last month was -$60
(Thanks Texas wholesale power scam.)

Other extreme here...
4300sqft home, pool, 28 panels, 23Kwh batteries and my power bill last month was -$60
Do they split up the size of your home setups into different classes. I looked into this and in some places if you cross X Kwh you move from a house to.......something else.......and your home owners insurance will no longer cover you. It also stops being a "house".

Only thing my little tin foil hat could make of that is, they want you on the leash, so they can yank you back when they want.

I will try to find the thing I saw on this.

This is not it, but I just don't want to dig right now.

Seems to me I remember somewhere there was a limit to the size of the system before it moves into "industrial" size. They might still carry you, but at a much higher rate. The thing I saw also talked about "iffy" installers and not quite doing things the correct way.

1692620081953.png

I recall something about our state power company limiting rebates to home system under a certain size (20kw?) , but mine is actually small at 11.5kw

I have 40 295 Trina panels on my shop that feed to my home , grid tied, no batteries yet , but looking to add soon , got a quote for Tesla battery, way too much , and having difficulty finding a contractor to install the battery back up system, just don't think it's something I can do myself and I'm fairly good at electrical stuff ,wired my shop and other out buildings but this is something I think I need to leave to the pros.

Other extreme here...
What did the entire solar array/equipment cost?

After rebates, I'm at around $15K. I traded some work with a solar co to mount the panels as my roof is steep. Battery is 48v system which is easy to install. I have another 13KWh of batteries I need to assemble as well to bring it to 36KWh total. Several style inverters work with LIFEPO4 batteries so it's much cheaper than those Tesla, solar edge proprietary ones.
I'm using Deye which is imported Sol-Ark at 1/3 the cost.

I have 40 295 Trina panels on my shop that feed to my home , grid tied, no batteries yet , but looking to add soon , got a quote for Tesla battery, way too much , and having difficulty finding a contractor to install the battery back up system, just don't think it's something I can do myself and I'm fairly good at electrical stuff ,wired my shop and other out buildings but this is something I think I need to leave to the pros.

The thing with me doing it myself is I am learning as I go. Generally this has been event free. I did blow up one little part, but that was pure stupid on my part. Red is + black is -, the magic gets out if you mix them up, and I popped this guy.

1692699738659.png

Not really "important" just a fun little doo dad that shows me what is going in and out. Currently I am not even using this thing as I took a big step forward and upgraded to this:

1692699810247.png

Yes everything is a bit of a mess, I snapped this right after I got it working. Cool, little needles.....so much cooler then digital numbers.

As you might have guessed I am really playing with this thing. It is running the shop, but I am fiddling with it minimum weekly. Not because I have to to keep it going, I fiddle with it because it is just fun to tinker with. Wires are everywhere, but nothing stays put, I keep changing stuff. Adding more stuff this week, and added 4 more solar panels last weekend. I also have a 3 axis auto sun tracking gizmo that I need to get off my tail and pour concrete for and get mounted, that is not going to happen when it is 98f and 99% humidity outside.....nope.

Really it is basically very easy, so easy even I can make it work. Where it gets "fuzzy" is when you move from your solar DC stuff and onto the AC stuff, then up one more level when you want a "grid" tie in.

It sounds like you are in my same ballpark. I wired up my shop and barn, sub panel in my barn, and it is all still standing and I don't get shocked when I touch the walls, so I must at least be lucky.

When you start getting IMHO into the transfer panels this is when it gets crazy. For me, I have an automatic transfer panel on the house, if the house looses power the gen will auto start and power what it is to power. When the "grid" comes back on, it switches back on its own. Most are setup this way. When you toss solar in there as well is when it goes over my head. Doing it all on its own, and giving the batteries time to "recover" is all crazy.

Right now I am very happy with where I am. I know in my last electric bill, when the system was still much smaller I used 100Kwh less over last year and the temps are about the same. Provided I was out there as much as I am this year that is something.

Bottom line, I think I am learning much more doing it myself. It is really quite fun and my brain really likes figuring this out.

I should update my thread. Perhaps after the next batch of new parts come in.