• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Any Southern NY or TriState Area ppl here?

Firemandivi

Private
Minuteman
May 7, 2010
NY...at least it ain't California
I know there are members in the area but what I'm really interested in is where do you practice your 1k shots? The longest range I can find is Camp Smith which is 500-600 yds and they have matches there once a month or so I'm told, everything else is 100-300 yds. I know of one range up by Albany that is 1k but thats a little far. So to the NY, CT, and NJ people here where do you guys shoot if you want to try and hit 1k?

Re: Any Southern NY or TriState Area ppl here?

Thanks for the info. Reade Range is over 4 hours from my house. I've heard of a range up by Troy NY that would be around 2 hours.
I guess from the number of replies there may not be that many tri state people here. I'm curios though, with the 1k ranges so far away how often do people actually get to practice at those distances?

There are an abundance of shooters--but a dearth of 1000 yard ranges in the area.

You have to go to Central Pennsylvania for 1000 yards. I try to make 4-6 trips per year. 200 miles one way.

300 yard range is 20 miles away.

Thanks for the info guys. Does anyone target shoot in the state forests? I've talked to the NYSDEC rangers and they said it depends on what your shooting and in which forests but it is allowed as long as you clean up your brass and don't leave a mess.

I'm located just north of West Point. I've seen info on Reade range and Forbes range and was just wondering if there are any ranges or places closer to shoot with distances over 300 yards. I know 2 hours isn't that far but with a family, house, work, etc. I find myself having less and less free time.

I think you can only shoot 1k on wed or tues at forbes

I live in Manhattan, along with a few other guys on some of these gun forums (actually we all first met at the Westside Gun Range on 20th street).

We go to Ft. Dix in NJ to shoot 200 yard with our .308's. Staten Island for trap. I have land in Sullivan county. I'm applying to Colonial Range in Staten Island so I can shoot 200 yards much closer to home instead of a 70 mile drive...

I used to be a member at ANJRPC's Cherry Ridge Range, but bringing a guest there was too expensive ($25 per person).

me and my dad go to penn. to shoot long range with our .338lm s
and for 100yds we go to high rock in naugatauck (were members)

Seems very interesting. I am in Long Island and NYC, and looking for 200 yards or more. I guess Colonial is the only choice? Does anyone know anything better?

As a future resident of the area, I am going to keep an eye on this thread. I will hopefully be teaching at USMA in the future but I have been dreading NY gun laws and what seems to be a chronic shortage of good ranges.

As per Magua
There are also private clubs that permit shooting to 200yds.

If you're going to be working at the USMA, look up Camp Smith.

Closer to NYC is Cherry Ridge Range, in Highland Lakes NJ.

I know this doesn't really help, but my range is 300 yards because it is damn near impossible to stretch it farther. I have 768 acres in Sullivan County.

I'm from long island. I go to calverton as Brookhaven is to strict for my taste. You can only shoot from the bench there and they watch you like a hawk.

How far is Sullivan county from long island? I'd take the trip up there for a day of shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FSRbikr98</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm from long island. <span style="font-weight: bold">I go to calverton as Brookhaven is to strict for my taste. You can only shoot from the bench there and they watch you like a hawk. </span>

How far is Sullivan county from long island? I'd take the trip up there for a day of shooting. </div></div>

Does Calverton let you shoot prone off a bipod? Or did you mean something else by this? I'm not too far and might have to check it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FSRbikr98</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm from long island. <span style="font-weight: bold">I go to calverton as Brookhaven is to strict for my taste. You can only shoot from the bench there and they watch you like a hawk. </span>

How far is Sullivan county from long island? I'd take the trip up there for a day of shooting. </div></div>

Does Calverton let you shoot prone off a bipod? Or did you mean something else by this? I'm not too far and might have to check it out. </div></div>

As stated above Brookhaven is very strict with Range officers and ceasefires every 15 minutes. I like the fact that it is a safe place but not being able to shoot prone sucks and the benches are narrower then an ironing board.

Calverton is the total opposite when it comes to safety...some real scary people there. You can shoot prone at Calverton and if you do expect too be covered in sand dust
laugh.gif

They let you shoot off a bipod there, prone, kneeling, whatever. As the above poster stated, it can get kind of scary sometimes, as 19 year old kids with a single shotgun wrapped in a towel like to show off their gangster skills there. But overall its not to bad. And if anyone is acting like a jackass, people will usually let them know that they can either follow the rules or leave.

I wish we had something better though, as you cannot shoot steel at Calverton.

Thanks for the info on Calverton. Sounds like it might be worth a weekday trip when it hopefully won't be as busy.

I go to Calverton alot. As a quick note there closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.Its $15.00 for the day to shoot. On weekends gates open at 9am and weekdays it's 10am. Hope this helps.