• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any suggestions for a $500 budget spotting scope?

Mongoose67

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2021
Colorado
I have a Redfield Renegade I paid $150 and it just doesn't cut it for me. It seems like spotting scopes are either supper chain or $800+.

Reactions: Alienta
I like my bushy legend T
Certainly not alpha glass or build quality but I’ve spotted impacts quite far with it and the reticle is simple and functional.

The bushnell Legend T is what you need to look for.

I've never been behind one but a lot of people say it's close to a Leupold MK4 (which I have).

It's gonna be your best bet and is the only spotter in that price range that has a reticle.

It also has rail options from the factory which at some point if you stay in this game long enough will pay dividends when you start playing at night etc.

Cameraland is having a big sale this weekend....check them out.

@gr8fuldoug
don't suppose you have any spotting scopes with a reticle that are on sale this weekend?

Any opinions on the Maven CS1 or the Athlon Ares G2? Cameraland doesn't carry Bushnell Legend T.

@gr8fuldoug
don't suppose you have any spotting scopes with a reticle that are on sale this weekend?
Absolutely. Take a look at the Athlon Ares 15-45x65 UHD Spotters

• UHD Glass: Extra-low dispersion glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings an ultimate clearest and sharpest image to your eyes
  • Interchangeable: Eyepiece Interchangeable Eyepiece allows you to swap the standard variable power eyepiece with a fixed 24 power eyepiece with a MIL ranging reticle in it.
  • ESP Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.
  • Aluminum Alloy Chassis: Aluminum alloy chassis offers you the strength of a metal chassis and the life time durability.
  • XPL Coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
  • Bak4 Prism: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes thus will give you brighter and sharper image.
  • Advanced Fully Multi-Coated: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses bring you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Argon Purged: Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
  • Rotating Ring: Rotating Ring allows you to rotate the scope around tripod supporting ring into the most comfortable and convenient angle for observation

Reactions: ZY100
Athlon ares is a great little spotter. One of my favorite spotters i had. I liked it more then the Leopold mark 4. Ive had a few spotters top like kowa to vortex hd ect and my overall favorite spotter was the ares. I waited 12 years for my antelope tag my buddy had a top end swaro and when we were judging the buck i ended up using mine not sure why maybe my eyes but a killer deal for money.

I went to Cabelas this morning and looked at the Cabela's (Meopta), several vortex and Leupold. I picked up the Leupold SX-2 Alpine HD in 20-60x80. It was substantially brighter that the Vortex Viper and the Cabela's. I even compared it side by side with the $1700 Vortex Razor. At $499 its the right budget point and quality. Plus the Leupold lifetime warranty. Did you know the Cabelas Meopta has zero warranty? Just the standard exchange policy. I took it out to the range this morning and was able to easily put eyes on steel at 1200 and 2000 yards.

First Look: SX-2 Alpine HD Spotting Scope Line | Gun Digest

I went to Cabelas this morning and looked at the Cabela's (Meopta), several vortex and Leupold. I picked up the Leupold SX-2 Alpine HD in 20-60x80. It was substantially brighter that the Vortex Viper and the Cabela's. I even compared it side by side with the $1700 Vortex Razor. At $499 its the right budget point and quality. Plus the Leupold lifetime warranty. Did you know the Cabelas Meopta has zero warranty? Just the standard exchange policy. I took it out to the range this morning and was able to easily put eyes on steel at 1200 and 2000 yards.

First Look: SX-2 Alpine HD Spotting Scope Line | Gun Digest
My experience has been that even though I can “put eyes on steel” with cheap glass, all I see is the steel. I want to see hits on the steel. Can you see hits with the Alpine?

My experience has been that even though I can “put eyes on steel” with cheap glass, all I see is the steel. I want to see hits on the steel. Can you see hits with the Alpine?
Haven't had a chance to find out yet.

Just for a point of reference and comparison I can see hits at 1100 yards on full torso steel with Leupold MK4.

Not bragging just giving info in case others chime in and someone is on fence about what spotter to get

FWIW I got my Athlon Ares referenced above today. Initial impression is very good.

I have been using a Sig Oscar 7 for about 4 years and enjoy the eye box and clarity. I do very well with trace and impacts at distance. But I have really been wanting a Mil reticle with .2 hash marks. For $675, including the additional 24 fixed mil eye piece, I decided to give the Athlon a try.

Side by side not a lot of difference in clarity in good light, focus is crisp, colors decent. Depth of field seems a little tight on the Athlon. The mil reticle is exactly what I was looking for.

Two semi minor wish list items. More eye relief on the Athlon....can't look through my glasses, I need to get my eye closer. And, move the horizontal stadia to the bottom third.

All in all a very solid optic for the price! To the range next week and a match at the end of the month. I am interested to see how it does. If it disappoints, there is always the Swaro STR-80....

ZY

Last edited:
Reactions: westsidecamper
I bought the ares g2 last summer from Cameraland after seeing it in person. It is awesome BUT you have to buy the reticle eyepiece separate and it is fixed power. it also does not have a rail for attachments, if you need that. Edit: just saw the guy above say he got a package for $675. That is a great deal. The ranging reticle hadn't come out when I bought mine so I had to buy the ranging reticle separate.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZY100
Crazy how this shit works, I had the exact same question as the op, with one addition. Is there a pair of binos, same price range that will do the job?

I was looking on camera land's website and there is a pair of Burriss 12x binos for about that price, they have a tan skin.

If its a decent spotting scope or 3 grand, spotting scope it is!

Last edited: