• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Any suggestions for new sights ?

Cserv

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
wherever I may roam...
Looking for suggestions from some of you guys in the know. Am wanting to upgrade the factory sights on my G22. This is my/my wife's home/personal defense pistol.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Eric

Re: Any suggestions for new sights ?

I personally like Trijicon night sights. BUT. . . only you and her know what her vision is like. For me, a red fiber optic is essentially lost. I like the bright green, with yellow after that.

I think the sights Jason mentioned above are the glow-in-dark fiber optics, which is a nice combo of hi-viz plus nightsights.

Some people like just iron in back with the bright sight up front to funnel their vision towards front sight. I would see if you two can't go to a range/gunstore/your armory/a friends armory and see what sights seem to make her go "WOW. . .that sight picture was fast!" and then get the closest thing that fits on her Glock like the sights that worked for her.

Best of luck!!

-G45

Have a look at the Trijicon HD Night Sights. Rear sight goes essentially black in daylight, but has two tritium dots for low light conditions. Front sight has both tritium and a phosphorescent surround in either yellow or orange.

Rear sight channel is a bit wide and U shaped although captures the larger outline of the phosphorescent surround pretty well.

The front sight surround glows in the dark for several minutes after being exposed to bright light for a few minutes. Trijicon indicates that the yellow continues to glow for about twice as long as the orange. I am trying to imagine how this works well for most of us as front sights tend to be holstered, or covered, or in a drawer ? prior to use. I suppose if you were going in and out of buildings, weapon drawn, it would help as your eyes adjusted to lower light.

Anyhow, I like em. I went with the orange as it was less intense than the yellow.

10-8 sights for me on all my glocks. Brass bead or tritium. Simple and rugged.

take a look at the xs express big dot sights. I carried them for years and while I couldn't quite get the hang of them for longer ranges (25 yds or so) they were easy and fast up close.

I am a fan of the 10-8 blacked out rear and a fiber optic front. But I also run a weapon light at all times. I find that night sights dont work as well for me with a weapon light as the fiber optic does, the light seems to flood out the tritium but it lights the fiber optic up like a red dot.

The meprolight tru dots are the brightest sights I am aware of, and among "traditional" style pistol sights, are my favorite. Optics planet sells them for ~$75 for Glocks.

My favorite sights hands down though, is an XS Big dot in front with a Novaks "ghost" sight in the rear. The rear sight is a 1/2 circle and not the more typical square bottomed "U". This combo sights FAST and accurately. It's expensive though, at about $175.

I bought a G34 that had Ameriglo Pro Operator sights on it and I ended up putting them on all my Glocks.

Don't overlook the AmeriGlo, specifically style "Hack" (as in Hackathorn). Very quick and easy acquisition, especially for older or sleepy eyes.

Kevin

I put Heine straight eight night sights on mt G22 and loved them so much they are now on two other Glocks I own

ameriglo operators

I currently use two of the sights mentioned above. The Tru-Glo TFO, and the Trijicon HD night Sights. There are advantages to each, and as you figured, disadvantages as well. It all depends on what you are planning to do with them. The first set of pictures below are the Tru-Glo Tfo's on my G19.
DSC03083.jpg

DSC03084.jpg

DSC03085.jpg

The advantages are they are bright in any condition. I opted for the dual color for contrast as my eyes lock onto a green or yellow front sight faster than any other color, your usage may vary. Great sights for up close and personal, fast, and built solidly. The disadvantage is evident in the side profile picture. Because the Fiber Optic is placed in-line and behind the Tritium vial, the sights are extremely long, which shortens the sight radius. In my usage, it has become evident that my eye is drawn to the "dot" instead of the top plane of the sight for longer distance shots. Once again, your usage may vary.

The second pair of sights are the Trijicon HD Nightsights. I have personally found these to be extremely versatile, extremely fast, and better for a more intricate style of handgun shooting. I use them on my G26, and the G17 EXO shown below wears the yellow flavor. The orange I have found is a distraction to my eyes and it takes a moment to correct my vision on the sight, which outside of IDPA and USPSA may be the difference between victory and defeat in the ultimate game of "life".

DSC02779.jpg

DSC02783.jpg

DSC02782.jpg

Using both of these sights as EDC as well as in competition, I have found that they both have their place. Try to find physical examples if you can. I learned the hard way by going thru who knows how many types of sights before I found some that I am truly comfortable with. And if both of you are going to use it for home defense or carry; Practice, Practice, Practice!!!

Hope it helped.

Appreciate all the suggestions, the photo's help quite a bit. Is it possible to hybridize some of these sights? Like some rears but not the front or viseversa.
Thanks,
Eric

I love my Meprolight contrasting color sights (orange rear & green front). That's what I put on my bedside G22. The wife and I both agree it was a great improvement, even in broad daylight...much crisper sight picture. Mine are going on 8 years old and they are still quite bright.

I ordered a set of the TFO Truglows last night for 69.95, w/free shipping. They got a confirmation this morning, they are in the mail. Super deal, they go for $130 here at the local gun shops.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadlift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like Aero-Tek ghost rings, very fast!! Or MMC, if you can find them. </div></div>

A quick google of MMC shows that they're a bunch of crooks and thieves, so...

I'm used to the standard Trijicon/Meprolight 3-dot style sights, and find them to give me the best accuracy in slow fire shooting. For speed, a Big Dot may be slightly faster, but it's an impairment when you try to take your time.

I recently picked up a set of the Trijicon HDs for my Glock, and the jury is still out. One thing I've distinctly noted is that the rear notch is cut wider than a traditional Trijicon tritium sight, thus making it harder to gain an utterly precise sight alignment. It could be perception, but it seems as though this is also slowing me down during rapid fire drills as I wind up with the front sight off to one side of the notch and have to reacquire. Having played with both yellow and orange I stuck with the latter, but they seem to have strengths and weaknesses. If properly charged with a flashlight, the orange dot makes for the single most impressive nighttime sight picture you'll ever see on a pistol; you simply cannot help but focus onto the front sight. The yellow isn't nearly as strong. Unfortunately there's a catch, namely the extremely short glow duration for the photoluminescent outer ring. Realistically you've got 15-30 seconds, one minute tops, before it fades to uselessness.

I'm still eager for the VTAC sights to become available for something other than the M&P so I can give them a try. Some people seem to really like the concept, and it certainly has merit - whether or not it's too complex to work under stress remains to be determined.

Cserv, does your wife shoot allot? I ask because the idea that someone actually takes the time to aim in the household, especially in dark situations is statistically pretty remote. If she already shoots and is capable, perhaps she is pretty much there and a laser might be a useful aid. My wife's house gun is laser equipped and she trains with sights and beam. Just a thought.

Another vote for the Ameriglo Pro Operators, but those Trijicon HD sights look excellent as well.

RT,
I have kicked around the thought of adding a laser or laser/light combo. I just wonder, how does this effect the balance or feel of the pistol?
Eric

Serious stuff this as your wife can be at great risk when she gets armed.

Remove all doubts.

Is it loaded?
I cut a rear panel for my wife for her rig.

IMG_0029.jpg

Where will it hit?
Ameriglo Hi Stack and laser. The laser must lite up on the grab. That alone will be an aid to her and a deterrent to her adversary.

and then makes sure they train, train, train. If they are not willing to train, do NOT give them a gun.