• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Any thoughts on Leupold vs Horus Vision?

MtnManCO

Private
Minuteman
I have always been a Leupold guy, but the Horus Vision scopes look like they have a great reticle. I've never seen a Horus in person, but I figured there are many of you that have used both.

Interested in opinions good and bad.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Any thoughts on Leupold vs Horus Vision?

Yes. Here are my thoughts:

Learn to search the site. There's an active thread on this subject in this very Optics forum.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...525#Post1669525

Here's a few more:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&a...amp;safe=active

And if that's not enough reading, well, there's this:

A Google advanced search input screen is shown below. That search turned up more than 3900 links to posts with mil, moa, and hunting in them. Some of them are <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> related to hunting, but many are. This is just a sample search - be creative with your own search terms.

The Google advanced search, restricted to snipershide.com as shown in the input screen, is by far the best way to search this site. Feel free to click on "Date, Usage Rights,..." to further restrict the search.

http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

hidesearch.jpg

Lindy,
I apologize. I appreciate the Google search app, that will come in handy.

I probably should have been a little more detailed in my post. I did search, but found a million threads and was getting tired of digging through them.

I have a Leupold VX-L 4.5-14x56, it is a great scope. I was planning on either sending this scope in to Leupold for a Mil Dot reticle and M1 turrets, or selling it and getting a VX-III, or Mark 4 in 6.5-20 set up the same way. I have always had Leupolds and have had great luck with them. A friend of mine says that I am wasting my time and money with the Leupolds and says I should sell it and get the Horus Hawk. I am having a hard time swallowing his recommendation, but he is a very knowledgeable guy.

I guess I was more wanting a direct comparison between the two, and like I said, I was having a hard time finding it in the search. I didn't even see the Horus thread that was already on the front page.

Like I said, I'm sorry, I know that you long timers get sick of seeing repeated posts by newbies.

"...long timers..." - yeah, that's me, I'm old...
laugh.gif

That's a better question.

My primary scope for three years was a U.S.O. with a Horus H25 - so I have some experience with the reticle.

I sold that scope. What I realized was that shooting holds was a very fast way to shoot multiple targets at multiple distances, and the need for that is most often at relatively close distances.

I can shoot out to 600 yards with my .308 by holding over on the 5 mils of marks below the crosshairs in a conventional mil reticle, from a 100 yard zero, just like I would do with a Horus reticle.

At longer distances, I can dial elevation, and, if I need speed, hold over and/or under from a longer elevation, using all 10 of the mil marks.

That's easiest in a scope with a mil reticle with mil adjustments, because all your dope is in mils.

I still have some Leupold scopes, but for the kind of shooting I do, I prefer Nightforce. Any mil reticle will work - pick whatever you like.

I think you'd be better off with 0.1 mil adjustments rather than the M1 knobs. Life is just simpler when the reticle and the scope adjustments are in the same system.

Over the years, this site has been thick with horror stories about HorusVision customer service that mirror my own experience with them, which is why I continue to recommend that those who have a burning desire to own a scope with a Horus reticle get it in some other maker's scope.

Just a few more posts and you'll be able to list that leupold for sale, you've had a hard day's work.

I cut and varnished the new birch faceplate for the installation of the new stereo, installed it, and took a hourlong bicycle ride down the beach road after lunch and a nap. Nice day - sunny with a high of 65.

I have three Leupolds with FFP Premier Gen II reticles. None are for sale. Sorry...
laugh.gif

Lindy,
Thanks for the info. It frustrates me that Leupold does not offer an MOA/MOA setup. I'd love to have a Nightforce, but thats just not in the budget right now.

I know that Darrell Holland has the ART system, which I believe has MOA and MIL in the reticle. Do you have any thoughts on his system? He want's $450 for it, but maybe my existing scope with that system would be the ticket. I just really wanted a little more magnification for the 750 plus shots.

That's a bit too complicated for my taste. In your place, I'd probably keep shooting the existing Leupold and saving money, until I had enough money to buy what I really wanted, whether that's MOA/MOA or mil/mil.

Leupold is oriented toward the hunting market rather than the tactical one, and they're late to the tactical ballgame with not much to offer.

Simpler is better.

Elsewhere I posted the Lament of the Precision Rifle Shooter: "Rifles are cheap. Glass and ammo are expensive."

I've setup a thread sorta like this just asking what people thought of the horus hawk and I really didnt get any answers. One of my shootin buddies has one and said it competes with high dollar scopes. I've looked through it once and the glass was clear as could be. Have you looked through one or anything? I'm lookin to buy one with in the next week or so, so i need a little help to lol

EDIT::: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=865260

read this

I read your thread and thought you got some pretty good input. Seems like pretty much everybody says the same thing....reticle is great, glass is decent, company and customer service sucks.

It's nice to know about the customer service thing going in.

Lindy,
I'm a hunter, so I guess that's why Leupy's have always been fine by me. Now that I'm getting more into the long range stuff, I'm looking at other options. Until I built my new rifle, I never had a gun that could exceed the capabilities of the scope, now I do.

Thanks again for all the help.

I love the Horus reticle. I have used it in unknown distance
compititions and I really like the system. I do not like Horus
scopes. They have a 1 year warranty only to the original purchaser. One of my friends really got thrown under the bus
when it comes to CS on a scope he originally bought from them.
They pretty much told him they were in the business to sell new scopes, not repair old ones.

Leupold will not change the reticle in the VXL models, but will change the turrets to the M1's.

I have owned two Horus scopes, the Talon and the Hawk. The glass on both is very clear and the reticles rock. I have had zero issues with them.