• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Any thoughts on SIG 'Skeeter?

Re: Any thoughts on SIG 'Skeeter?

Not if you don't already have a .22 pistol.

I believe the popularity of the Mosquito and the Walther P-22 is due to 3 factors: the tacticool factor they possess, the low price, and the easy adaptability to suppressor use. The P-22 is threaded and needs only an adapter, the Mosquito is also available threaded.

Both of these have cast zinc slides and there are numerous reports of breakage. Add this to the reliability problems exhibited by many of these pistols, and they're not so cool, especially when you could have had a Ruger or Buckmark for the same money.

If you already have a good .22 and have the money to risk, they're fun toys while they run, but they must be considered disposable. Definitely not an heirloom.

If you want a service pistol type .22, a conversion for a 1911, Glock, Browning HP, Sig P-220/226/228/9, Beretta/Taurus 92, or CZ75/85 is a much better pistol than either a Mosquito or P-22.

The Sigs are available as complete .22 pistols (about $500). These have actual Sig centerfire frames and are convertible to the corresponding centerfirecaliber with a $350 "Two Step" kit.

The CZ Kadet is my favorite .22 pistol , after the S&W M-41. Accurate, reliable, available as a complete .22 or a conversion.

I've helped a couple try to unjam one at the range. It wouldn't stop jamming.

That is the only experience I have with them.

I hear alot of guys having trouble, i run mine with a outbackII and silencerco sparrow, anything from remington, to cci, not using hi velocity rounds, and mine works flawless.

i had one a while back. They have lots of problems until you put a couple hundred rnds through it. the slide surfaces are rough and end everything needs to break in on it. After that i didnt have too many problems with it. I ended up trading it for a 22 kit for my sig P220 elite sao.

But like previously posted you can buy 22 fulsize sigs. all it is is a 22 conversion on a frame and they come with a coupon for the centerfire slide for it. the 22s are just so dirty and id rather keep them seperate. that and i dont like the fact that I could forget to take the 22 slide off my 45 and grab it in the morning.

...thanks for all the good input guys...

...you have sucessfully put me off the skeeter...

...I am looking into conversions now...thinking of picking up a leo trade in 19/23 for a donor frame...

Ruger 22/45 5.5" bull. best $275 i've ever spent.

I've actually got two good things to say about the sig.
1. I have run about 7500 rounds through it and nothing has broken.
2. It has taught me how to clear every conceivable pistol malfunction with amazing speed. In that respect it has been a valuable training tool.

I have to agree with everyone here. The trigger isn't great on those skeeters. Get a sig and put a .22 on it!

they are ok at best. I had my threaded model new and while it did shoot well and very rarely have a malfunction it didnt have the aftermarket accessory market or following that the Ruger Mark series does. I picked up a MKIII after selling my Sig and its been flawless and a tackdriver. I threw a tac sol 4.5" barrel with a Checkmate can on it and its also extremely quiet

i have a p22 i put two bricks threw it in one day, no problems what so ever.

It shoots every thing i put in it from agila 60gr to quick shock, voliciter every thing. I have not one bad thing to say, out side of cleaing the bore i dont take it appart and if you read the net book ( i printed it off ) on the p22 mod's it then turns into an even better pistol

my vote is on the walther

If you want an amazing 22 check out the sig trailside.

Junk!!!!! you will get lots of practice with every type jam you can imagine and some you can't. Remington ammo was the worst by far. I have a P220 SAO with a 22 slide it works great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ruger 22/45 5.5" bull. best $275 i've ever spent. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 396chevy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want an amazing 22 check out the sig trailside. </div></div>

That is the truth. Problem is they are getting expensive!

Voting with the ruger guys.

Top it with a threaded Pac Lite from TacSol if going suppressed.