• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Any tips for coyote hunting?

slowr1der

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2010
VA
Let me start off by saying I've never been coyote hunting, and I've only seen one coyote in my life and that was while deer hunting. However, we have a hole dug out that we put dear carcasses in, and we've noticed that right away it they start getting torn up by coyotes. They never are there long enough for us to bury them, as they are mostly gone within 2-3 days. So I'm thinking it may be a good time to try to shoot some of them.

Do you all have any tips? I have a call to use, but what are some other tips? How do you all go about it, and when is the best time to hunt them?

Re: Any tips for coyote hunting?

that will work, they work them over here mostly early morning hrs.3-6a.m., but it's a populated area,I have a reclining lawn chair that I have camo'ed with brush downwind and evelated so they dont smell me.They have an incredible range of senses and they are possibly the most wary quarry you can find. especially after they been shot at. don't miss,kill them all, that's what they do to the deer dogs cats and rabbits and skunks around here. Good luck and anything over a .22 rimfire works good,.22"S work with good bullet placement. (between the eyes seens to always work well
smile.gif

Gut piles work great.

All the coyotes around here are pretty call shy though, so I stick to mainly howlers and hand calls.

Pay attention to your wind.
Watch your call volume. Too loud and you'll blow out a yote that may be close by.
Sit on stand atleast 20 min before you give up on the spot after calling.
Be there ready to shoot at first light.
If you get a snow or really cold temps, that's even better.

Camo yourself to your surroundings. Pay attention to wind direction. Scent control. Watch some vids on calling techniques. And expect the un-expected. They are wiley critters and do some weird things when you least expect it.

I use coyote sounds on the call more than anything else pup distress is great... have best luck with bait piles!!!