• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Any tips for hunting

Re: Any tips for hunting

You should really find someone to go with for awhile. The best experience will be hands on. Surf the net, watch movies, read magazines etc. Join some of the hunting forums. Oh, and fill out your profile!

Definately read up, get ya a couple of good hunting mag subscriptions. Maybe make a couple hunting friends who could show you the ropes. Start out with something easy, like varmints and work your way up to the big stuff. Maybe if you told us where you were at, someone near you might take you underwing.

Check out the DNR website for your state. Learn the regs. You might have to take a hunters education course before you are allowed to hunt anything. Tell us where you are located cause there are guys on here from coast to coast that can give you good advice. Good luck.

Be still and don't shit where you plan to hunt.

"Be still and don't shit where you plan to hunt."

Awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you want to hunt? </div></div>
i have no idea i was thinking just deer i thought that would be good for me

If you have some friends or family that hunt, ask if you can tag along and observe them....

Also important: get your hunters safety card, get good equipment and know how to use it, know your own limitations, and most importantly - be safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't get married or have kids.</div></div>
a big +1

first do alot of reading, video watching, and talking / going with experienced hunters

go to a hunter ed class and get a license.
check out these links, they are apart of the hunter ed classes, and actually provide good tips for beginners and seasoned hunters alike:
http://www.hunter-ed.com/pa/ click on the drop downs on the right for better explainations

read up and understand your "Quarry" better http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=596812&mode=2

once you KNOW that you will be confident going hunting (and that you can be a safe, legal and ethical hunter), do so. start with small game (squirrels), you'll learn the fundamentals and get most of your gear squared away.

Start small and learn to shoot first, get yourself a good .22 and get some practice. Most guys at ranges will give you some help if you ask. Get very comfortable shooting first, then take on live targets. Shooting and safety are first, everything else will follow with time and practice.

make sure you know what you're hunting and what it looks like. Don't go shoot some dudes alpaca and then throw you're elk tag on em.

make sure you know what you're hunting and what it looks like. Don't go shoot some dudes alpaca and then throw you're elk tag on em.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T.C.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have some friends or family that hunt, ask if you can tag along and observe them....

Also important: get your hunters safety card, get good equipment and know how to use it, know your own limitations, and most importantly - be safe.</div></div>
how old do you have to be to get a hunters safety card?

Every state is different. Contact your Fish and Game dept.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-THEFRIDGE-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T.C.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have some friends or family that hunt, ask if you can tag along and observe them....

Also important: get your hunters safety card, get good equipment and know how to use it, know your own limitations, and most importantly - be safe.</div></div>
how old do you have to be to get a hunters safety card? </div></div>

You're old enough. Most people get them when they're 7-8.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be still and don't shit where you plan to hunt. </div></div>

Umm, I was taking a dump right before I shot my last moose,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be still and don't shit where you plan to hunt. </div></div>

Umm, I was taking a dump right before I shot my last moose, </div></div>

Ive been in KS all week deer hunting and have yet to see a shooter. Maybe I should shit below my stand in the morning-about the only thing I havent tried!

Exercise before you go. Nothing is worse than sucking wind walking up a hill.

i would recommend geting your hunting license and a rifle first....then learn to shoot and to be comfortable with it...then get the rest of the gear you need and read up on as much info as you can...then find a freind and family member who knows what there doing and who can take you out hunting...if you cant find someone get a guide service who offers there services to beginers and wont mind taking there time explaining things to you while your on your first hunt. Good luck and your going to love it.

Scout a lot. Good hygiene is a must. Spray down with a scent killer. Practice with your choice of weapon a lot. You will get different opinions about the best places to hunt but I try to hunt about 250 to 300 yards off a bedding area between the deer and their food. Carry a flashlight with you at all times. Read and obey all rules and regs. Sometimes the smallest rule is the one they nail you on. For example in ohio you must have a functional writing utensil. I know of guys that got hit with a ticket because their pencil was broke or their pen wouldn't work due to the weather conditions. And what I would consider the most important... DO NOT EVER FIRE IN A DIRECTION JUST BECAUSE YOU HEAR SOMETHING TRAMPLING THROUGH THE WOODS. This may sound stupid, but it happens more that you would think.

Depending on the part of Illinois you live in, I bet a lot of guys here would come up and take you free of charge , if you have property
laugh.gif