• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any tools for dry firing rimfire.

Prebanpaul

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Akron Ohio Summit
I just got a new Anschutz and the trigger is 3oz. I need to get lots of trigger time in on this trigger. I was hoping something was out there for dry firing. I was wondering if I could use a spent piece of brass and just rotate it around. Any Ideas.

Google " Snap Caps for Rimfire "

This times 100. When dry firing, make sure the whole snap cap comes out though. I just had one break. The entire head came off the cap, but the body was stuck inside the chamber. I had to use a cleaning rod from the breach to get it out. That's not something I wanted to do with my 54.18.....

4-6-8 × 7/8 drywall anchor..feeds from mags. Been using them for quite some time never had one break off yet. Just rotate the anchors so they are not hitting the same place.

s3lVaWO.jpg

Edit for pic

Last edited:
Reactions: davidb187
^^^^ Thats what I use as well. Take a black sharpie to mark the striker hit and rotate them around when loading. That way you're not hitting the same area over and over

I just got a new Anschutz and the trigger is 3oz. I need to get lots of trigger time in on this trigger. I was hoping something was out there for dry firing. I was wondering if I could use a spent piece of brass and just rotate it around. Any Ideas.

Empty brass works fine
As buffalowinter said, empty brass works fine. I put a shooting mat or towel where my empties land to keep them clean, then put them in a ziplock to use when I want to play with the trigger at home.

which anschutz did you get?....im pretty sure all of their newer models are able to be dry fired without needing a snap cap

Hmmm... are we sure they are all safe to dry fire?

In talking with CC a while back I was lead to believe the sporters were "probably safe" (their term) to dry fire, but match rifles are not.

The fact that Anschutz makes a special dry fire pin for the 54.30, 1800's, 1900's and 2000's, but not the 1400's, 1500's or 1700's seems to support this theory.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Very few if any rimfires are safe for dry fire , a flimsy off center firing pin is hard hitting the barrel and in case you have a cone breech cut on the barrel actualy dinging the chamber , but you pays your money

You can use empty case but put some paper in them as you are hitting lose some very abrasive and toxic material with each hit that is not good for your barrel.

Hmmm... are we sure they are all safe to dry fire?

In talking with CC a while back I was lead to believe the sporters were "probably safe" (their term) to dry fire, but match rifles are not.

The fact that Anschutz makes a special dry fire pin for the 54.30, 1800's, 1900's and 2000's, but not the 1400's, 1500's or 1700's seems to support this theory.

All anschutz match rifles are safe to dry fire.

back when i was shooting NCAA our team was shooting annies from ad far back as the 70s.......hundreds of tbousands of dry fires later we never had an issue

most if not all rimfire rifles on the market today are safe to dry fire

im guessing anschutz makes a "dry fire pin"....so that you cannot accidentally chamber and fire a round while doing dry fire practice(good for youth teams).......im guessing its nothing more than a bobbed standard firing pin

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ALL is wrong^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have a match 54 that has been damaged due to dry firing before I purchased it. There is a small depression on the edge of the chamber where the firing pin hits. Every 1000 rounds or so I have to use a chamber iron to straighten it back out. Still shoots awesome, but dry firing caused this damage for sure!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ALL is wrong^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have a match 54 that has been damaged due to dry firing before I purchased it. There is a small depression on the edge of the chamber where the firing pin hits. Every 1000 rounds or so I have to use a chamber iron to straighten it back out. Still shoots awesome, but dry firing caused this damage for sure!
When was your 54 made?

Imma guess sometime in the 60s?

i can gurantee you its not a recent production gun

4-6-8 × 7/8 drywall anchor..feeds from mags. Been using them for quite some time never had one break off yet. Just rotate the anchors so they are not hitting the same place.

s3lVaWO.jpg

Edit for pic

This is a very cool idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The manual for my two Anschutz rifles states that it can safely be dry fired. One is a 1958 model M54 Super Match and the other is a 70's era Mod 1451. That said, I still do not dry fire them, ever. Am I being overly cautious? Yes, I am. The other advice about snap caps and dry wall anchors is good advice. But, I too have had the little plastic snap caps break in the chamber and become tough to remove. If all you need is trigger time with your rifle, why not buy a few bricks of ammo and go shoot it?

Irish

Update: On my Anschutz 64, you can very quickly and easily remove the firing pin. Once the pin is out, you can dry fire away! Just don't lose it or forget to re-install it before you head to the range.

Not sure photo works/readability(?), but the manual that came with my 54MSR clearly states it is NOT safe to dry fire...
363fd26b9b10db1b38605e097dd231de.jpg
1404beb6d250a53d119682e3daa54476.jpg

FYI: I have a Anshutz 64-R Biathlon I purchased used. As soon as I received it, i found it would not eject spent cartridges. The spent cartridges would remain stuck in the barrel chamber and would not extract. I tried everything rectify this to no avail (cleaning, etc). I ended up taking it to a gunsmith. He advised me the barrel chamber edge had been peened from dry firing. He used a chamber iron on it and it has been cooking like Betty Crocker ever since. This has reinforced the warning about dry firing a 22lr.

I too use the yellow drywall anchors. Use them in my Anschutz 1416HB and my Ruger 22/45. Fit's all the magazines and can be rotated to use all parts of the "rim" of the anchor to get max use out of each one (does that mean I'm cheap...maybe...). Got mine at Lowe's.