• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Any videos out there that explain how to read the "christmas tree" optical?

Venomgland

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2019
I searched on youtube but couldn't find anything. If I can't figure out how to use them. I'm just going to avoid buying a scope with it.

It’s a ruler.
Not very difficult to figure out.
Some of the Horus reticles and the Tubb reticle have some features that may need some practice to get used to and there’s a few video on them that aren’t difficult to find.

Pretty common sense if you think about it....

As you drop below the center cross you add distance to the travel path of your bullet. The bore of the rifle is angled up and you are shooting longer ranges.

Because the bullet is travelling farther the effects of wind will allow for more "push" on the round and the required windholds must be increased.

So because you need more wind hold the lower on the vertical stadia you go the horizontal references on the Christmas tree extend further left and right giving you the Christmas tree shape.

There is that and....

You can use the references to determine correction.

If you are holding 4 mils on your christmas tree reticle and take your shot but you see a splash missing center but right of target.......where you see that splash on the horizontal reference of your christmas tree is the hold you want to use to hit on your next shot assuming conditions stay the same.

There are reasons not to go with a Christmas tree but not understanding it is not one of them.

Pretend your broke and your working overtime to save enough coin to buy this new scope, that will give you some time to do your homework. It's not hard, especially if your serious.

Reactions: Steel head
I was looking at the vortex scopes

What reticle?

Pmclaine explained it pretty well. Not overly complicated. The marks are just hold/reference marks. if shooting to 600 yards and you need 5.3 mils of elevation from your 100 yard zero and 1.2 mils of right wind then you just hold over 5.3 mils and 1.2 mils of right wind. Just think of it as holding what you would have dialed. And you can mix it up and dial elevation and hold windage. Or make fast corrections as explained above. I would say get one and practice with it and you will quickly learn the advantages to it.

All I see is explanation of mil dot and moa, but if you say so.

Its the same.

Just consider each branch of the Christmas Tree as a new "crosshair" that will shoot at greater distance.

With teh tree you are getting the advantage of having wind reference marks where a standard crosshair would provide none.

Instead of holding for wind in blank space you will have some scaled marks.

Last edited:
Not sure. Tony's job might be in flux so have to wait and see. That's why we didn't list any classes this year so far. Believe me we definitely want to get back up there.

Not sure. Tony's job might be in flux so have to wait and see. That's why we didn't list any classes this year so far. Believe me we definitely want to get back up there.

Sounds like Granby has soldiered on and the people that were fighting them may be coming to an understanding that the existence of the club is a fait accompli.

I also shoot at the Fort Devens Rifle and Pistol Club.

We get a limited number of days at the mil ranges over there.

Going to shoot you a PM and see if I can check with club about you guys maybe running a PSR class for us.

Same way you read a non tree reticle in mils or moa.

Exact same thing.