• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody else hate the gym?

Gyms do suck and stink.
Get some used home gear. Found all mine used. Only have 1600 invested including all the weights.
It's so Much more efficient to spend time with the dog, cook dinner and do shit between sets.
I sure miss seeing the spandex outfits on the Tmills though.

Attachments

• 20211115_195402.jpg
    20211115_195402.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 39
I used it In high school, I was 6'2" and tipped the scales at 135#, wore 32x32 Levis. Dispute my demunitive stature, I built a lot of strength, I could curl my body weight sitting on a bench. I met my 1st wife at 19 and she could cook! (A lot of steaks from daddy's freezer) Started working building swimming pools for her father. In 1 year went from a medium to 2xl (horrible growing pains in my shoulders) levis went to 36x32.
I worked/played hard all my life, strong as an ox. No gym for me, those are for guys that are forced to sit all day at work. And I'll throw in, my family trips to the beach didn't include me sitting around in the sun 🌞.

with a fitness rep bench, rogue rack, and a good bar there’s zero reason to need a gym. I went from 247 to 195 in 9months and shredded out. Not once did I go to a gym. 30min workouts 4x a week. Zero cardio
This.

Rogue R-3 rack and a B&R bar with about 600lbs of various plates.

If you lift heavy, it's not long before you're burning more calories than you can easily consume. Honestly, at some point, eating enough protein and carbs is the biggest challenge. It can be pretty uncomfortable trying to eat that much meat and potatoes, at which point "eating your way to recovery" just doesn't work anymore. But make no mistake, lifting heavy (with good form) is the easiest way to burn calories and fat. Most people don't realize that, because most never push themselves hard enough. Probably why so few (a small percentage) can actually complete a true Novice Linear Progression; towards the end, it truly sucks and requires pushing past fatigue and fear before breaking through the other side of that....

This.

Rogue R-3 rack and a B&R bar with about 600lbs of various plates.

If you lift heavy, it's not long before you're burning more calories than you can easily consume. Honestly, at some point, eating enough protein and carbs is the biggest challenge. It can be pretty uncomfortable trying to eat that much meat and potatoes, at which point "eating your way to recovery" just doesn't work anymore. But make no mistake, lifting heavy (with good form) is the easiest way to burn calories and fat. Most people don't realize that, because most never push themselves hard enough. Probably why so few (a small percentage) can actually complete a true Novice Linear Progression; towards the end, it truly sucks and requires pushing past fatigue and fear before breaking through the other side of that....
I think this is generally right, at least in the beginning, but that wanes as you go on. You can certainly put a lot of weight on your squat by squatting a lot if you are starting at 195 and getting to 325 or whatever, but if you are already squatting in the 500s, you can't squat enough volume at a high weight to progress well unless you are superhuman or super enhanced, so you need to do other things. Assuming you are normal weight, like 180-220ish. Also, each body is different. I know that if I want to raise my bench, flat benching a lot is not going to do it, but I can raise my bench faster by doing heavy dumbbell benches.

I guess that is to say that I think the traditional Rippetoe method is great for the beginning, though I think more people than not tend to get fatter than they ought to be on it. That's fine my Mark, he likes guys around 20% body fat. But after that you need to be able to listen to your body to progress, and to figure out your weak spots and how to bring them up, whether that is specialty bars or just assistance exercises that get to the point for you.

I'm not sure it is true that lifting heavy is the best way to burn fat, but it certainly is part of what is necessary.

I think this is generally right, at least in the beginning, but that wanes as you go on. You can certainly put a lot of weight on your squat by squatting a lot if you are starting at 195 and getting to 325 or whatever, but if you are already squatting in the 500s, you can't squat enough volume at a high weight to progress well unless you are superhuman or super enhanced, so you need to do other things. Assuming you are normal weight, like 180-220ish. Also, each body is different. I know that if I want to raise my bench, flat benching a lot is not going to do it, but I can raise my bench faster by doing heavy dumbbell benches.

I guess that is to say that I think the traditional Rippetoe method is great for the beginning, though I think more people than not tend to get fatter than they ought to be on it. That's fine my Mark, he likes guys around 20% body fat. But after that you need to be able to listen to your body to progress, and to figure out your weak spots and how to bring them up, whether that is specialty bars or just assistance exercises that get to the point for you.

I'm not sure it is true that lifting heavy is the best way to burn fat, but it certainly is part of what is necessary.
I think a lot of people make similar comments about Rippetoe's methods, which at face value seems true. But he also has a second book about effective programming that addresses most of what you said. People just don't read it, ands prefer to fall in one camp or the other.

I think a lot of people make similar comments about Rippetoe's methods, which at face value seems true. But he also has a second book about effective programming that addresses most of what you said. People just don't read it, ands prefer to fall in one camp or the other.
He has several books, but in my opinion, where he shines is in getting people started out on the right path and understanding how to lift and how to gain strength. I didn't find his follow on books as compelling. But clearly what works for one person might not be what works for everybody, which is key. Except for starting out, which is where pretty much the same thing works for everybody.

Sports nutrition is the only thing I wouldn't say I liked when I was training. The disadvantages include the need for frequent training, which is quite difficult for beginners, and high financial costs for natural products with high protein content. In addition, this weight loss method is not recommended for women during breastfeeding and maternity periods and for those who have chronic pathologies. I sometimes skipped workouts at the gym, replacing them with peloton weights. In the evening, I lifted weights, which was enough for me.

Last edited:
I spent quite a bit of time this fall hiking around the mountains with a decently heavy pack on. I ended up losing a bunch of weight, too much for my liking. I went from about 205, which I consider my "fighting weight", to the low to mid 180s. I was actually pretty shocked at how much weight I lost. I was never in a state where I was ever gasping for air or fully exhausted (except for maybe once or twice) just constantly moving around all day long. My nutrition basically subsisted of getting enough energy to make it through the day, in the lightest form possible. Lots of oatmeal packets and jerky. It also really took a toll on my knees, ankles, hips, etc. I was beat to shit by the end of my time in the mountains, but had some pretty impressive endurance. Really made me realize that training in all different forms is good, and too much of one thing is bad. I am still working on getting my muscle mass back, which I am finding is much more difficult to do in my 40s than it was in my 30s.

I spent quite a bit of time this fall hiking around the mountains with a decently heavy pack on. I ended up losing a bunch of weight, too much for my liking. I went from about 205, which I consider my "fighting weight", to the low to mid 180s. I was actually pretty shocked at how much weight I lost. I was never in a state where I was ever gasping for air or fully exhausted (except for maybe once or twice) just constantly moving around all day long. My nutrition basically subsisted of getting enough energy to make it through the day, in the lightest form possible. Lots of oatmeal packets and jerky. It also really took a toll on my knees, ankles, hips, etc. I was beat to shit by the end of my time in the mountains, but had some pretty impressive endurance. Really made me realize that training in all different forms is good, and too much of one thing is bad. I am still working on getting my muscle mass back, which I am finding is much more difficult to do in my 40s than it was in my 30s.
My dad lost a bunch of weight "going outside" for a walk, and I followed in his footsteps. Its a underestimated form of exercise. Plus you get to see stuff.

Bonus: Don't go with a phone/headphones. Just enjoy the sounds--even if its your neighborhood. During Covid the best sound was children playing and laughing outside. It just made things better.

My dad lost a bunch of weight "going outside" for a walk, and I followed in his footsteps. Its a underestimated form of exercise. Plus you get to see stuff.

Bonus: Don't go with a phone/headphones. Just enjoy the sounds--even if its your neighborhood. During Covid the best sound was children playing and laughing outside. It just made things better.

Dogs are great for this. My wife and I will walk two times a day.

We both also ride bikes to work/school. I ride about 20 miles a day or so.

My wife would always sign us up for family gym memberships (wouldn't cost any more than just her and my older daughter) and I went once or twice in 7-8 years. Just enough to know that I hate gyms and didn't want to be in them

I walk now and have for years, mountain hikes, just a walk in the neighborhood, walk to a store etc. Years ago I would mountain bike, but I gave up on that.

Anyone that doesn't think walking/hiking isn't exercise isn't doing it right. I lost 90lbs (about 20 years ago now) just with some diet changes and adding walking into my weekly routine (2-3 days a week). More powerful than you think. I gained a little weight back over 20 years, literally maybe 20 lbs, but for the most part kept the weight off.

So, I stopped getting stronger working out in my home powerlifting gym by myself. Bench 490ish, squat 700, deadlift 740.

I go to a a local hardcore powerlifting gym in town now and work with a good group who’s pushing me..those numbers are quickly on the rise without any changes other than the intensity of the training..even using the same damn equipment

So, I stopped getting stronger working out in my home powerlifting gym by myself. Bench 490ish, squat 700, deadlift 740.

I go to a a local hardcore powerlifting gym in town now and work with a good group who’s pushing me..those numbers are quickly on the rise without any changes other than the intensity of the training..even using the same damn equipment

100%! That's the added benefit of lifting with a community of the same goal-oriented people. You push each other to get stronger and feed off of each others energy, particularly when someone else sets a PR/PB.

As far as diet goes in this thread....It's really f***ing simple. Look at it from a cave mans perspective. If you can't kill it, grow it or catch it.....Don't eat it! Stay off the carbs, eat more veggies than you think you should; with little fruit on the side. Six pack abs start in the kitchen, not the gym. You cant "out work" a shitty diet. Kill it, grow it, catch it and eat it. ;) (y)

100%! That's the added benefit of lifting with a community of the same goal-oriented people. You push each other to get stronger and feed off of each others energy, particularly when someone else sets a PR/PB.

As far as diet goes in this thread....It's really f***ing simple. Look at it from a cave mans perspective. If you can't kill it, grow it or catch it.....Don't eat it! Stay off the carbs, eat more veggies than you think you should; with little fruit on the side. Six pack abs start in the kitchen, not the gym. You cant "out work" a shitty diet. Kill it, grow it, catch it and eat it. ;) (y)
Damn, good advice. If it comes in a box don't eat it. Processed food is bad food.

Damn, good advice. If it comes in a box don't eat it. Processed food is bad food.
It’s ok advice if you live for this. Eventually this shit wears on you. I don’t know how many people here are over 40 with less than 10% body fat, but it takes a lot of discipline to maintain that. It’s not unhealthy or super difficult to be 12-14% if you wish to maintain yourself, but “no carbs” “don’t eat it if it comes in a box” etc is not feasible long term, for most who have kids, a wife, and don’t show up to social events with a meal prep.

My point is, there’s a limitation to how are you stay on a perfectly disciplined diet. Even professional body builders have a off season.

Last edited:
It’s ok advice if you live for this. Eventually this shit wears on you. I don’t know how many people here are over 40 with less than 10% body fat, but it takes a lot of discipline to maintain that. It’s not unhealthy or super difficult to be 12-14% if you wish to maintain yourself, but “no carbs” “don’t eat it if it comes in a box” etc is not feasible long term, for most who have kids, a wife, and show up to social events with a meal prep.

My point is, there’s a limitation to how are you stay on a perfect disciplined diet. Even professional body builders have a off season.
It comes down to what is more important. There are villages of people in Africa and South America that eat only meat. Physically its totally doable. Its a mental game, as are all endeavors. The same discipline to go the gym when you don't want to is the same discipline to eat what is required when you want a pizza. We all miss the mark at times, but that doesn't mean it is unattainable. It means we were weak at that point in time. Consistency is key. Not letting others dictate what we want is also fundamental.

Reactions: PusherX11
It’s ok advice if you live for this. Eventually this shit wears on you. I don’t know how many people here are over 40 with less than 10% body fat, but it takes a lot of discipline to maintain that. It’s not unhealthy or super difficult to be 12-14% if you wish to maintain yourself, but “no carbs” “don’t eat it if it comes in a box” etc is not feasible long term, for most who have kids, a wife, and show up to social events with a meal prep.

My point is, there’s a limitation to how are you stay on a perfect disciplined diet. Even professional body builders have a off season.
Never, said it was for everybody. I am well over 40 and still have low body fat. I have maintained my body weight at 160 for most of my life.
I do intermittent fasting and limit processed food and sugar. I still lift weights and do martial arts . I was a long time Moto Cross racer and bicycle rider.
Have the joint issues to live with from my passions . I miss moto cross everyday.

I know lots of people who struggle with weight issues. I also know not everybody has discipline or the drive to work out. Or control their diets.
I don't belittle or put those people down . I sure as hell don't offer unsolicited advice . I do get people that I socialize with, ask me about fitness.
Then I offer any help they ask for .

I do eat carbs , just not a lot. I most definitely avoid food from boxes. I tell people all the time , not every diet works for everybody. My usual
advice is to , start by picking a few things that you know are bad for you to eat. Cut a couple of them from your diet . Replace them with something good.
It takes time to built a diet that works for your personal goals.
I also tell them . You have to do you and I will do me.
Just like in martial arts . There are many paths up the mountain . Choose the one that suits you best .

It’s ok advice if you live for this. Eventually this shit wears on you. I don’t know how many people here are over 40 with less than 10% body fat, but it takes a lot of discipline to maintain that. It’s not unhealthy or super difficult to be 12-14% if you wish to maintain yourself, but “no carbs” “don’t eat it if it comes in a box” etc is not feasible long term, for most who have kids, a wife, and don’t show up to social events with a meal prep.

My point is, there’s a limitation to how are you stay on a perfectly disciplined diet. Even professional body builders have a off season.
You mention the key factor throughout your post........Discipline. If you want to stay healthy, take some ownership of it and maintain discipline. If you do it repeatedly, it becomes a habit right? :) Sure, there's nothing wrong with indulging on a snack or desert. But, I hope we can all agree that carbs and processed food isn't good for you and sugar does far more harm than good.

By strictly eating by my "kill it, grow it or catch it" mindset, i feel like absolute shit after eating carb or sugar heavy food. Even the next day after drinking a 3rd beer of 3rd glass of wine, I feel so much worse. So, I don't eat that way. It's been a habit for years. To each their own. :)

You mention the key factor throughout your post........Discipline. If you want to stay healthy, take some ownership of it and maintain discipline. If you do it repeatedly, it becomes a habit right? :) Sure, there's nothing wrong with indulging on a snack or desert. But, I hope we can all agree that carbs and processed food isn't good for you and sugar does far more harm than good.

By strictly eating by my "kill it, grow it or catch it" mindset, i feel like absolute shit after eating carb or sugar heavy food. Even the next day after drinking a 3rd beer of 3rd glass of wine, I feel so much worse. So, I don't eat that way. It's been a habit for years. To each their own. :)
I’m not confused about fitness. What I’m saying comes from experience, hence why I know it requires discipline. You don’t need to explain that to me. What I’m saying is you’re over confident by saying it’s “easy.”

Further more, eating to maintain a certain percentage under “average” is not “easy”, for the general population, and it’s certainly not as simple socially to keep up with a specific nutrition regimen. Just because.

The average family is NOT going to want to come home from a 2 hour work out 6 days a week to count/log/project every macro, calorie and completely give up:
Alcohol
Deserts
Over indulgence
Fast foods
Fatty meats
Etc.

So what I’m saying is, grow it, catch it kill or any modified paleo guideline similar to, it is OK advice for those that are ok with modifying their life in that way. Most just try it out and go back to the way they live after 2 weeks.

I see it all the time.
Most people are better off with just eating what they want, and focus on not over eating if you’re going to be average for sustaining a lifelong habit.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColinW

Add rice too…micros are very important but if you are a full blown athlete or strength athlete then you still have to support your macros as well. You aren’t getting a fully digestible carb source from vegetables.

Lots of testosterone as well..maybe tren

I like a lot of the newer garbanzo bean and black bean pastas for carbs. Yeah, they come in a box, but you need carbs if you are going to be strong, and not just skinny.

Reactions: E. Bryant
I like a lot of the newer garbanzo bean and black bean pastas for carbs. Yeah, they come in a box, but you need carbs if you are going to be strong, and not just skinny.
Which is cool..but when you get to a certain level you can’t rely on beans without diminishing returns. Stomach starts to kill you and you still need another 150 carbs for the day..rice is easy on the stomach and works.

Reactions: Matches Malone
Which is cool..but when you get to a certain level you can’t rely on beans without diminishing returns. Stomach starts to kill you and you still need another 150 carbs for the day..rice is easy on the stomach and works.
I can't say I've ever been in that position. lol. What weight class are you lifting in? Those are super impressive numbers.

I can't say I've ever been in that position. lol. What weight class are you lifting in? Those are super impressive numbers.
Haha I’m barely competitive right now..the field is absolutely stacked right now. The guys competing right now are ripping apart old records faster than Bidens smelling children.

I’m thinking 242’s is where it’s at for me at my next and last comp..

Personally, I can't stand gyms.

Anybody else here hate gyms? And if so, what do you do to get your exercise in?

Looking for some ideas on how to get more in shape, but in ways I would actually enjoy. I do enjoy doing bodyweight workouts at home or at the hotel (travel lots), I occasionally do yoga with the wife, and I'm looking at getting a cheap road bike.

Looking to get some motivation and ideas from you guys that also hate gyms.

Gyms are fine. I hate the people in 'em.

@kthomas resurrecting this thread as I have found something I enjoy.

For about the last 2 years I was on a routine of waking up at 0500 and either run 3-4 miles (3 days per week) or going to the HOA gym (2 days per week). The mundaneness was starting to take its toll.

I found F3 (https://f3nation.com/) and I have been doing it for about 2 months. The workouts are free and there is good fellowship and community. The workouts are peer led so they are always different. All the workouts are outside and they don't use any normal gym equipment but a variety of props (bricks, tires, cinder blocks, concrete piers, brake rotors, etc). M/F is cardio/power, T is just power, Wed is cardio/power, Th is running, and Sat is typically cardio/power with a game at the end. It covers all ages from 20-65 and you can modify the workouts up or down.

The variety and comradery get you out of bed every morning and make me excited to workout.

@kthomas resurrecting this thread as I have found something I enjoy.

For about the last 2 years I was on a routine of waking up at 0500 and either run 3-4 miles (3 days per week) or going to the HOA gym (2 days per week). The mundaneness was starting to take its toll.

I found F3 (https://f3nation.com/) and I have been doing it for about 2 months. The workouts are free and there is good fellowship and community. The workouts are peer led so they are always different. All the workouts are outside and they don't use any normal gym equipment but a variety of props (bricks, tires, cinder blocks, concrete piers, brake rotors, etc). M/F is cardio/power, T is just power, Wed is cardio/power, Th is running, and Sat is typically cardio/power with a game at the end. It covers all ages from 20-65 and you can modify the workouts up or down.

The variety and comradery get you out of bed every morning and make me excited to workout.
I'll have to check that out, thanks!

Reactions: blbennett1288
I recently joined a new gym that is alot smaller and its been awesome. I no longer have to deal with stupid people taking up machines and even at what you would call "peak times" it is not busy. Been a game changer in me actually wanting to go to the gym.