• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody figure this one out?

Tough Guy

Minuteman
Jul 14, 2006
A hole in the ground
Just looked in my little black bag and found 20 rounds of reloads that don't seem right. I loaded them with 168 grain bullet and 45.5 grains of H4895. I'm not finding that load data in my reloading book. Did I get that recipe from this forum? I don't know. This is 308 ammo. If no one here can verify this as a safe load I'm gonna pull em apart and reload with Varget.

Re: Anybody figure this one out?

Sounds high to me, Hodgdon lists 43.5 as max
168 GR. SIE HPBT Hodgdon H4895 .308" 2.800" 41.0 2551 38,300 CUP 43.5 2703 49,500 CUP

You might be... My loads are not labeled incorrectly. Also I wouldn't of loaded them that way without a recipe. Just can't figure out where I got that recipe so it's time to break em down.

anyone ever use a sharpie on the brass? just curious. would that hurt anything? the chamber?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone ever use a sharpie on the brass? just curious. would that hurt anything? the chamber? </div></div>

All the time when I'm doing load testing.

I put the charge weight on the body of the case near the case web. The gas guns tend to knock off most of the writing, but it survives well in bolt guns. You can usually read what comes out of the AR's.

I do this because one time I spilled a carefully sorted box of ammo setup for a ladder test adn had to pull it all down.

I use masking tape to group loads together if they are loose pack in a box. Boxes with partitions, I number the partitions and tape the caseheads together so the like charges won't get separated or mixed with others in a ladder or comparison test.

The "sharpie's" Manufacturer has a "permanent" "most permanent" marker....might want to take a look at that. JMHO

You can also get 20 some colors, and shoot groups till your hearts content.
Kinda like to know no powder.(COL)
Nothing wrong with sharpie on brass.