• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anybody got a civic si?

HSNARC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2010
Central Illinois
Im thinking about buying one from a local dealer, its an 02 56k on the odo its got some scratches and a tweaked bumper which doesent bother me (never really held astetics over function) and i figure it can be fixed very easily. Weigh in on the si if you have any experience with one.

Re: anybody got a civic si?

Check CV joints and boots. Other than that they are bullet proof cars.

the timing belt also concerns me a bit i cannot seem to find a clear answer on when it needs changed

The SI should have a Timing Chain that would need to be replaced at 200k miles I believe? I used to have an 02 Acura RSX-S. I think they were similar in design. Those are LOW miles for an 02. I'd check on the title and look at a carfax report. It might have been sitting in a yard waiting to be repaired for a long time...

I believe they switched from the tried and true "B" engine after 02, so it surely has a proven engine, not to say the newer versions are bad. Takes a hit at the pump with the si version if you are only after MPG's over the other models though. Wifey was after a civic around that time and the difference was 8-10 MPG.

Been in a few and I would surely take one...the 02's are nice.

Who cares about MPG's right....couple B engine vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzP-etuL6Y8&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhghRPqLhP8&feature=related

It seemed to drive ok i couldnt really identify any problems from driving it around for half an hour or so, but that dosent really tell me much. They claim 22-30 mpg but i would think it would do better than that with a 5sp and mostly highway driving?

if it has the i-vtec (which it should) K20 then you have a pretty peppy 2.0L inline 4. I put an HKS turbo on mine and drove the piss out of it all the way to 150k miles. no issues, no problems. that motor is built like a tank.

I had a '98, so my experience may not be relevant. I actually lost the timing belt on it at 125K. Amazingly, no valve damage.

Had problems with the output bearing on the tranny (5spd) and replaced it twice. Both occurred at even higher mileage.

I did springs and struts on mine, lowering it an undetectable amount. After that, it handled like a go-cart. Great car and I miss it.

1.7 Liter has a belt
2.0 has a chain
belt is 60k if vehicle is operated in extreme temperature above 110F or below 20F if not then recommended mileage is 110K miles
As to chain there really is no recommended interval. It is based more on driveability and or failure of components.
Mileage is based on to many things to estimate accurately.
Variables include and are not limited to
1. Type of tire and inflation.
2. Driving area (hills or flatland)
3. Maintenance and oil types
4. Your driving style. Rabbits starts anticipating red lights, speed, use of brakes or coasting, etc.
5. Fuel used. Oxygenated crap? or decent fuel. That does not mean premium. (if your car does not need higher octane you should not use higher octane it will reduce your mileage and decrease dollars in your wallet.
6. I could go on but you are getting very sleepyyyy........

thats one of the most stolen cars out there. for some reason that little 2.0 is very wanted same like the 1.6 dohc.

from what ive read its not all that hard/expensive to go fast in the si as apposed to other similar vehicles

turbo kits are a tad pricey (2.5k-12k) but such is the nature of the beast i guess

Nothing to add as far as maint/issues to look for. I will add the 02' Si is a fun little car. I drove one that was Dad's quite a bit and enjoyed it.

I have the same engine in my outboard and it's very good. Make sure it doesn't have any "upgrades". This means it was driven by a young male and has the shit beat out of it for 50k miles.

+1 for The Mechanic's post. It is probably the best bang for your buck and should last for years to come. Change the oil, keep the brakes done and the timing belt changed 60 to 80k and it should last a lifetime. Mine had close to 400k when I sold it. Good luck and have fun with it. T

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check CV joints and boots. Other than that they are bullet proof cars. </div></div>

Yes, and J-turns tend to accelerate wear... But it is a DIY job. Must have replaced mine 2 or 3 times over the 190,000 miles I put on it. Sold it, and it was still in great running condition. A/C had stopped working, but other than that and DIY tune ups, brakes and a timing belt replacement every 90,000 I had no problems.