• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report Anybody have 300 grain bergers coming apart? Pic included

Mod Adahy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2010
East Helena, Mt
Went out on Friday to find powder charge for my new edge and had trouble getting the gun on paper at 300. So moved target to 25 yards when I found out why I was having no consistency. Paper target was in front of the cardboard backer and was destroyed with first round, total of 3 rounds seen in picture. This is with the hunting bullet and the tactical bullet seems ok, so I am gonna work with them to see what manifests. How fast have you guys run the 300's? My extreme loves the 285 rocky mountains, so I have not tried in that gun but surely somebody else has.

Thats crazy. The only thing I can think is you got a bad batch of bullets. I would send some to Berger and have them test them. Second thing is whats the twist on your rifle? The reason I ask is maybe your twist is spinning them too fast and causing them to come apart. Third thing is maybe its a velocity issue but I can't imagine you can shoot those heavy bullets fast enough to have them breaking up without excessive signs of pressure. Keep us updated interesting situation.

When they first came out, they were known to come apart. Then Berger changed something with them. I still have a box of the first generation bullets.

These were recently purchased and sent Berger an email asking about bullets coming apart. Velocity is 3300 ish and 9.5 twist tight bore, OTM's stay together and no problems.

Not 300's, but...

I've got the exact same thing happening with 7mm 180's.. the target hybrids specifically, of all bullets* Puffs of smoke and pieces just like that splatter on your cardboard. I for one would be curious to hear what Berger says. Mine seem to be an anomoly in the 7mm class :confused:

...shelfed them in the end