• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anybody have a short magnum gas gun?

Re: anybody have a short magnum gas gun?

RND has a great line of magnum gas guns. I wouldn't be surprised if you could get an RND1000 in 7mm SAUM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RND has a great line of magnum gas guns. I wouldn't be surprised if you could get an RND1000 in 7mm SAUM.</div></div>

That is interesting. I have talked to many gunsmiths and nobody thought you could get a WSM to feed reliably. RND does it as well as Accuracy Systems......I dunno. I'd love to have one in 7mm.
I may try and build one. I wonder how long a Lothar Walther barrel would last in 7wsm.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blasst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking of building a 7 SAUM gas gun. I was wondering if anyone had done a 7 or 300 saum in a gas gun specifically. </div></div>

I own a DPMS LR-30S rifle. That's a 300 SAUM factory rifle with a 20"10T barrel. They were a factory offering a few years ago but discontinued by DPMS.

It shoots reliably but I like the 6.5 Creedmoor better. The 300 SAUM gives more terminal energy but the LR-65CM gives lower wind deflection and less recoil. They have about the same supersonic range.

Armalite also offered a 300 SAUM rifle in about the same time period. Apparently it's discontinued too.

Accuracy Systems still offers AR-10 uppers in 300 SAUM
http://www.ar-10-rifles.com/index.php

If you're interested in long range shooting I'd suggest that an AR-10 and similar short actions don't give enough magazine space, only 2.8+ inches. Building on a Browning BAR magnum action would give enough magazine room (3.34") to shoot heavy low drag bullets with the 7mm or 300 SAUM. When limited to SAAMI OAL, neither is a "long range" cartridge in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Not overly reliable but that might be the builders fault
wink.gif
</div></div>

the builder cannot change the geometry that makes a short fat cartridge hard to chamber reliably

I've got ZERO trouble chambering 210 VLD's in my Armalite 300 SAUM and the accuracy, velocity and of course...sex appeal, are top notch in my book.

I bought it as a complete factory upper on gun broker (and modified to my taste) with the intent of rebarreling to a 7mm SAUM if it didn't shoot. WELL IT DID AND DID VERY WELL.
I would say that the 168gr bullets would be your best bet if you choose the 7mm, but you'll have to do the math to see how deep you can seat them (or longer ones if you choose). I did it all myself last year, but no longer have my specs.

Sending 210 VLD's at 2715 (conservatively) is awesome. I've gotten her up as fast ast 2940, but saw damaged brass.
Best groups were with the 190 VLDs using just about any charge I fed it...but the 210's are what I still have, so I'll use up what I've got before I test 190's again for accuracy and speeds.

With a 7mmSAUM and about a 24" pipe (or longer), you could have a real shooter on your hands without question. Get an adjustable gas block...as even with my PRI adjustable completely closed, I still have enough gas to cycle with the suppressor.

First time past 100 yd load development was 3 sub moa rounds at 1105

Here was some load development this spring, confirming velocity via drop.

9593.jpg

I have a rnd in 338 edge great gun! If you have the money and the time to wait the loooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggg loooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggg
time it takes lloyd to make the guns. You can not go wrong.