• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody have an Axiom/ Vector in 223?

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2018
Montana
I just got a WTO switchlug installed on my 6.5CM CC Axiom and had a 223 barrel spun up.

Went to go zero it and ~70% of the ammo I tried were FTF. should have took took pictures, but it looked like it was light primer strikes.
On top of that, about 95% of the rounds (fired or not) didn't eject. They either "limped " out if the election port, hung up not getting extracted from the chamber at all, or didn't eject.

The extractor spring seems weak so I'm going to replace that with one I have laying around to see if that helps. But looking at the ejector it seems much more recessed then the one on my standard bolt face for the 6.5. I'm thinking this might be an issue as well.

I cleaned the hell out of the bolt, inside, firing pin hole, extractor lip, ECT. All with no luck. Headspace checks out also. Only thing I haven't check is firing pin protrusion / fall. That will be tonight when I get home.

Can anybody that doesn't have these problems with their 223 bolt for their axiom / vector please snap a photo of the bolt face so I can compare the ejector.

And does anybody know if the firing control system is the same for standard / 223 ? It seems like all they sell is ones for short and long action, but looking at the two I have (both for SA) they look different ?

Calls and emails aren't doing much good, trying to stay positive and chalking it up to technical difficulties.

If anybody has any help or experience is appreciate it. Thanks.

I don't have a .223 bolt face or I would send you a pic, but do run a Vector and the firing control is the same for all (.223/Valk./.308/Mag).

Swap out the firing control from the 6.5 and see if that changes anything.

Reactions: 4066.5
I don't have a .223 bolt face or I would send you a pic, but do run a Vector and the firing control is the same for all (.223/Valk./.308/Mag).

Swap out the firing control from the 6.5 and see if that changes anything.
Thanks!
Maybe that will do it. Both pins protrude 0.055" but spring that came on the firing control looks a little beefier and the pin is significantly smoother .

For anybody else that might run into a problem with extraction. Looks like the spring for the extractor was weak. Went in a pulled it out to stretch it out a bit and it kicks out spent cases like a champ.

See this thread:

One guy in there stretched his spring and said it worked as a temporary fix. After awhile the spring takes a set and the extraction/ejection problems came back.

I also had issues with my 223 bolt face. Seems like the bolt cut/channel they use puts the extractor at too much of an angle and doesn't put any pressure on the spring. I ordered a replacement ejector spring kit for an AR and put the o-ring that came with it down in the cut to take up space. That put pressure on the spring (I don't think it was compressed at all before) and has solved most of my issues.

Reactions: 4066.5
LOL frickin "custom" action with poor lug contact...

But it's what the Pros use!

Don't get me wrong, not knockin Cal's articles just saying what I've always said... It doesn't tell the whole story.

First Curtis action I saw in real life at a match, went down. Busted ejector spring or may have been the extractor spring. Either way, it boned the shooter who was doing well till his gun stopped cycling.

I'm sure plenty of people have one with no issues. Though I suspect a case of safequeenitis may be responsible.

One of the first reasons I got into competing, and still keeps me doing it, is because it's the ultimate proving ground for your gear.

You don't pick the place, the weather, or how the stage is shot and if there's any gear problems lurking that haven't presented themselves, I promise they'll rear their ugly heads when it's least convenient at a match.

Reactions: kthomas
See this thread:

One guy in there stretched his spring and said it worked as a temporary fix. After awhile the spring takes a set and the extraction/ejection problems came back.

I also had issues with my 223 bolt face. Seems like the bolt cut/channel they use puts the extractor at too much of an angle and doesn't put any pressure on the spring. I ordered a replacement ejector spring kit for an AR and put the o-ring that came with it down in the cut to take up space. That put pressure on the spring (I don't think it was compressed at all before) and has solved most of my issues.
I'll definitely pick one up and try that. My standard faced bolt had ejection issues when I first bought it and had to stretch the spring out like the link you posted. I run into the same problems like he has and have to stretch it out every once in a while. I thought it was one off deal, but that has proven to be false.

Hopefully your fix solves it in both. Going to run out to the range after work and swap firing control systems to see if the reliable one I have in the standard ignites more reliable.

I know in my vudoo the TT special has problems that are only solved with swapping to a diamond. If the firing control doesn't work I might swap my diamond over to it and see if that does anything

Well....it is a curtis. I got rid of mine cause it tries to destroy brass and had one lug with zero contact when in battery.
I feel ya, it's going in the classifieds as soon as this shit is sorted out. What did you replace it with?

Don't get me wrong, not knockin Cal's articles just saying what I've always said... It doesn't tell the whole story.

First Curtis action I saw in real life at a match, went down. Busted ejector spring or may have been the extractor spring. Either way, it boned the shooter who was doing well till his gun stopped cycling.

I'm sure plenty of people have one with no issues. Though I suspect a case of safequeenitis may be responsible.

One of the first reasons I got into competing, and still keeps me doing it, is because it's the ultimate proving ground for your gear.

You don't pick the place, the weather, or how the stage is shot and if there's any gear problems lurking that haven't presented themselves, I promise they'll rear their ugly heads when it's least convenient at a match.

Lot's of reports of poor manufacturing quality with that company. I have a shooting buddy that got a Curtis Axiom and then a Vector, both were pretty much unshootable from the factory due to the condition they arrived in. One of them, I believe the Vector, had a concave bolt face. The bolt face apparently looked like a radar dish. This guy has of course since given up on Curtis and is now back to shooting AI's. My shooting buddies that are in Utah (same area as Curtis) stay way clear of that company.

People need to take the "what the pro's use" list with a grain of salt. A lot of these shooters are running equipment because they are sponsored by certain brands, it's not their own money they are spending on equipment. They have a direct line to the company, and can get any issues sorted out pretty quickly. It can be a lot more frustrating and timely process for the regular consumer. I put much more weight on shooters that spend money on their own gear, and aren't influenced by sponsorships, like Matt Brousseau (if he is still doing the #teamme thing).

Just because the "pro's" use it, doesn't mean it's the best gear choice for YOU.

I traded it with an 18" 6.5creed keystone barrel for a new deadline short action with 308&prc bolt heads, action wrench, UP barrel nut and specific wrench. 1400 barreled action for 1700 worth of deadline and parts. I'm extremely happy with the deadline, it is 60° action and maybe not as light bolt lift as the axiom, but it has fired in all conditions and the dual ejectors throw brass like a boss. The other thing I dislike about the curtis is that stupid short barrel thread tenon. Less than .5" of threads, gtfo, lol.

Reactions: 4066.5 and kthomas
Lot's of reports of poor manufacturing quality with that company. I have a shooting buddy that got a Curtis Axiom and then a Vector, both were pretty much unshootable from the factory due to the condition they arrived in. One of them, I believe the Vector, had a concave bolt face. The bolt face apparently looked like a radar dish. This guy has of course since given up on Curtis and is now back to shooting AI's. My shooting buddies that are in Utah (same area as Curtis) stay way clear of that company.

People need to take the "what the pro's use" list with a grain of salt. A lot of these shooters are running equipment because they are sponsored by certain brands, it's not their own money they are spending on equipment. They have a direct line to the company, and can get any issues sorted out pretty quickly. It can be a lot more frustrating and timely process for the regular consumer. I put much more weight on shooters that spend money on their own gear, and aren't influenced by sponsorships, like Matt Brousseau (if he is still doing the #teamme thing).

Just because the "pro's" use it, doesn't mean it's the best gear choice for YOU.
Couldn't agree more. I got a smokin deal on a MPA BA that I couldn't refuse, although in hindsite, I should have. MPA's outstanding customer service resolved my original issue with the the axiom and went out of their way over a holiday weekend. I couldn't have been happier with them. I was fairly positive I was going to be happy with the rifle after that.

I'm wondering if MPA does any work on the action (specifically the bolt/ firing pin/control) because it seems significantly better then the bolt w/ control I received directly from Curtis.

AI is on my bucket list, their reputation is hard to beat. I'll have to see what I can get for this one once the bugs are worked out and go from there.

I traded it with an 18" 6.5creed keystone barrel for a new deadline short action with 308&prc bolt heads, action wrench, UP barrel nut and specific wrench. 1400 barreled action for 1700 worth of deadline and parts. I'm extremely happy with the deadline, it is 60° action and maybe not as light bolt lift as the axiom, but it has fired in all conditions and the dual ejectors throw brass like a boss. The other thing I dislike about the curtis is that stupid short barrel thread tenon. Less than .5" of threads, gtfo, lol.
Never looked into deadline, that sounds like a reasonable compromise and something that will be in the ballpark for what I can sell the CC 223/6.5CM barrel action for.

Just realized you said you traded it. Did you trade it on the hide or through a vendor ?

I really like my axiom. It feels much nicer than the bighorn origin I fingered. Its a shame that guys are having issues with them.

Not going to matter how great it feels if it doesn't get you through a match weekend you traveled to, hotel money, maybe rental car, etc.

I think the "feel" thing is super subjective and highly overrated. Does it work, and work reliably should be the main concern.

Not going to matter how great it feels if it doesn't get you through a match weekend you traveled to, hotel money, maybe rental car, etc.

I think the "feel" thing is super subjective and highly overrated. Does it work, and work reliably should be the main concern.
I agree completely. That’s why I said it’s a shame people are having issues. I will say that if I were traveling and spending money to go to matches, I would have a second rifle. When I go out of town hunting I always take a backup.

I haven’t dealt with any ejection issues with the .308 boltface. Are guys dealing with problems with these as well? There has to be a replacement spring fix if that is what is causing problems.

Idk man, I have 3 of them. I’ve never had an issue even in the worse conditions. That being said I keep the magazines clean, and i cover the action (like everyone should) when the weather is crap like it’s raining or windy dusty conditions. I’ve just never had issues with them. Usually the the issues with most of these actions going down is lack of Maintenance or keeping things clean. We abuse our gear in any competition application, you have to take good care of it.

Reactions: 16 Gauge