• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Anybody have Schmidt-Bender-1-8x24-Short-Dot?

thefitter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2010
I have been out of the scope shopping mode for awhile, have these made it into peoples hands? Thoughts and opinions?

Thanks

It was a few years ago.

Mike CST

Mike....I'm really leaning towards a 1-8 (maybe a 1-6), who has the best out there? USO, Swaro, Vortex, Bushy??

I want/need an optic for 10-600 yard coyote killin'. Most likely on a .223 platform.

Thanks for any comments......sorry to hijack the thread, but we'll never see an S&B 1-8!

Take care.

I have not used the USO 1-8x I have heard good thinks about it.

I have used the Vortex 1-6x, Swarovski 1-6x, Leupold 1-6x, and the Leupold 1.1-8x. I really like them all.

• Vortex 1-6x really nice glass, very bright RED DOT, rock solid construction, 30mm tube, great price, and SFP holdover reticle. (Heavy scope)

• Leupold Mk6 1-6x really nice glass, very bright RED DOT, rock solid construction, 34mm, exposed locking turrets (love these turrets), power rings very easy to use without a through lever, light weight, and an FFP reticle that work at low power without illumination. Little pricey but with it.

• Swarovski 1-6x amazing glass, very bright RED DOT (illumination system rocks), rock solid construction, 30mm tube, very light weight, and SFP holdover reticle. Very pricey but is a Swarovski.

You pay for what you get. Hope this helps.

Mike @ CST

I'm sure they could have said it is a 1x and most and I mean most shooters would not be able to tell. I maybe do to engineering aspects but the main thing it works.

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

Not to take focus away from the great products cstactical sells but the SWFA 1-6 HD should be included in your list of contenders. Its an amazing scope and the price point is solid and competitive.

Excellent turrets, FFP, built like a tank, illumination is very easy to work with on all powers.

There are a very limited quantity available to the public. I considered buying a used one from a forum classifieds ad but the guy was asking more than list price.

<BS>It would have been a good scope to go along with my Premier 1-8x and BEAST.</BS>

Eh, not so typical. The Ultra Short and High Power scopes were announced last year and are starting to make their way onto dealer shelves. The 1-8x is just an anomaly I think as it had some major design/engineering issues IIRC.

I'm looking for a 1-6 or 1-8 power scope that would work like a red dot on 1x but still be able to be turned up. Which is the best at 1x with both eyes open, will it work with out batteries.

Eh, not so typical. The Ultra Short and High Power scopes were announced last year and are starting to make their way onto dealer shelves. The 1-8x is just an anomaly I think as it had some major design/engineering issues IIRC.

I remember reading about the 1-8 short dot in 2011.

Yeah, exactly why I say it's an anomaly in that it's taking so long to get to people whereas the other scopes have been available within a year of announcement a SHOT.

It could be so that the scope is not even needed any longer. Minox's new 1-8x24 tactical is nothing but a piece of art. The optics are really good with a fantastic clarity as well no tunneling. The eye box is very generous and the clicks work perfectly. After looking at that scope I want it.

Last edited:
Well, even though S&B is late to the 1-8x game, the general consensus as of last year is that USO won that fight.

Yeah, exactly why I say it's an anomaly in that it's taking so long to get to people whereas the other scopes have been available within a year of announcement a SHOT.

Didn't the S&B 3-20 take forever too?

If the 1-8x Short Dot is anything like it's predecessor, then the dot will be plenty visible in daylight. That was one of the original selling points of the first Short Dot back in 2004ish. At the time there wasn't another tactical scope that was both variable low power with a daytime visible dot.

As for USO 1-8x winning the race, here's the thread from last year where that conclusion was drawn:
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-rifle-scopes/205521-uso-sr8-1-8-reddot;-worth.html

It could be so that the scope is not even needed any longer. Minox's new 1-8x24 tactical is nothing but a piece of art. The optics are really good with a fantastic clarity as well no tunneling. The eye box is very generous and the clicks work perfectly. After looking at that scope I want it.

Yes, that scope looks to be everything the S&B could have been. I'll definitely keep an eye out for reviews.

Minox? Aren't those the ones that chew up power cables?

Bumping again almost 7 months later...anyone get one?

Review?

Thanks

I would buy a couple Schmidt & Bender 1-8's in a heart beat if anyone actually had them...I couldn't find any when I was looking so I settled for the Leupold Mark 8 1.1-8X and it's pretty decent for a Leupold. I have one on my SR25 and it works well with that rifle. Another scope to look at for AR style platforms would be the Kahles K16i 1-6x...no finger adjustable turrets but they light and fast with excellent glass, they have a huge eye box and a very large field of view as well. They are excellent CQB optics with true 1X and daylight visible illumination and great at 6x for the longer precision stuff.

A scope in 1-8 variable would give up a lot of terms of FOV vs a 1-6 that I'm not sure that extra 2x power us truly worth it. But I guess some might like it. I will stick with my Z6i.