• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody Jump Rope For Fitnes?

bmt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2010
Skinner's Mudhole, Oregon
I just got started again. I did this a LOT when Reagan was president and I was playing football.

I jumped 1,000 skips today.

Anybody have a handle on a good Rope Jumping workout?

BMT

Re: Anybody Jump Rope For Fitnes?

I usually jump rope as part of my warm-up or cool down. There's some routines on crossfit.com and plenty on youtube. Some of the better ones I've found were boxing related.

Here you go bro....get after it!
grin.gif

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lt5LK896ZUw&feature=player_embedded"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lt5LK896ZUw&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jIghSaBKpkg&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jIghSaBKpkg&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

SWEET. . .

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TqI7cGM9mWs"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TqI7cGM9mWs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Crossfit gold standard is two minutes of consecutive double unders. If you can do that, you win. </div></div>

OK, That's hard.

I did 1,000 skips, hten attempted a 3+2 (three single unders then one double). I got 11 (55 unders).

Total for today, 1,100.

BMT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SWEET. . .

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TqI7cGM9mWs"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TqI7cGM9mWs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
</div></div>
Thanks for posting that vid, I REALLY enjoyed it. Truely amazing performance.

Been reading about the Tabata Protocal a bit and thinking about using rope to do it with, anybody have any input?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: akmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been reading about the Tabata Protocal a bit and thinking about using rope to do it with, anybody have any input? </div></div>

Sadly, no experience.

Monday: 1400 Skips

Wed: 1600 Skips

Friday: 2000 skips.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: akmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been reading about the Tabata Protocal a bit and thinking about using rope to do it with, anybody have any input? </div></div>

Sadly, no experience.

Monday: 1400 Skips

Wed: 1600 Skips

Friday: 2000 skips. </div></div>

Thanks, I found I need to work on regular rope skills and more endurance to start, then maybe try the intervals.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: akmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been reading about the Tabata Protocal a bit and thinking about using rope to do it with, anybody have any input? </div></div>

i do it all the time!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brutus1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: akmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been reading about the Tabata Protocal a bit and thinking about using rope to do it with, anybody have any input? </div></div>

i do it all the time! </div></div>

Brutus, are you doing the 8 minute routine I've read about, 3 minute warm up, 20 sec interevals with 10 sec rest? I tried on Saturday and got so tired I kept tripping over the rope. I ended up getting on my bike on a trainer to start trying to build some endurance.

i generally do a slow/moderate warmup for a couple min. not sure on time...depends on how im feeling that day. then do 4 mins of 20 sec/10 sec rest.
i can only do it with alternating high steps/sprint, not hops with both feet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brutus1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i generally do a slow/moderate warmup for a couple min. not sure on time...depends on how im feeling that day. then do 4 mins of 20 sec/10 sec rest.
i can only do it with alternating high steps/sprint, not hops with both feet </div></div>

Thanks for the info. Mike

Monday 2400 skips.

Wednesday 2500 skips.

Sets of 100, 200, 6 sets at 300 and 1 set at 100.

I minute rest between sets.

BMT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Crossfit gold standard is two minutes of consecutive double unders. If you can do that, you win. </div></div>

Double unders are a MFer until you finally figure out how to do them. Did 70lb. kettle bell swings 12 times and 40 double unders for 5 rounds for time. Serious Ass kicker.
Look into this rope here:
http://www.againfaster.com/jump-ropes/

Started today with 100 to get a feel for the timing for intervals,short break,then 120 at a little higher RPM, rest, 180, rest 200, rest, 150, rest and 150 for last set. Been a number of years since I trained with a rope, forgot how it gets to the arms!

Gonna try and get to where I'm keeping up with bmt!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: akmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Started today with 100 to get a feel for the timing for intervals,short break,then 120 at a little higher RPM, rest, 180, rest 200, rest, 150, rest and 150 for last set. Been a number of years since I trained with a rope, forgot how it gets to the arms!

Gonna try and get to where I'm keeping up with bmt! </div></div>

If your arms are hurting I think you are doing it wrong, your wrists should be the only thing moving if you do it right...

Maybe forearms from holding the rope down (?)..

I boxed in high school and had to learn, I looked like a girl when I first started, it was HILARIOUS.
But, wow what it does for your footwork - I carried it through to Karate and I use a jumprope about once a week, quick 5 minute thing to get the feet moving.

I think it's just from holding my arms in one position, feels like I'm only using wrists but I'll try and focus on it and see how it goes. Thanks for the input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: akmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gonna try and get to where I'm keeping up with a <span style="font-weight: bold">48 year old man with reconstructed knees, worn out shoulders, and 7 working fingers</span>! </div></div>

Fixed it for ya'
grin.gif

BMT

I've been thinking about starting it up again. I used to do it a lot back in my muay thai/boxing days. It's inexpensive and can be pretty good for cardio.

I usually go for 30 mins. and it can be boring as hell so you have to find a way to stick with it.

It can get pretty easy so you need to push yourself sometimes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: akmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gonna try and get to where I'm keeping up with a <span style="font-weight: bold">48 year old man with reconstructed knees, worn out shoulders, and 7 working fingers</span>! </div></div>

Fixed it for ya'
grin.gif

BMT

Maybe I'll have a chance, 48 too, not quite as badly beat up but been a couch potatoe for the last 20 years
grin.gif

</div></div>

This tread reminds me of this one Marine up at Stone bay Rifle range. The man would sprint up and down the main rd jumping rope the whole time. It looked like he was throwing down a 16 min 3 mile pace too.

THREE THOUSAND SKIPS!

Five sets: 100, (minute rest) 200, (minute rest) 300 jumps (minute rest). Repeat.

Took 52 minutes.

BMT

Went jump rope crazy in basic training. Traumatized my foot. Great exercise, but it is boring.

Got back with the rope last night, 4 sets of 300, last two sets of 150 with about 45 secs. rest between sets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: akmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got back with the rope last night, 4 sets of 300, last two sets of 150 with about 45 secs. rest between sets. </div></div>

Sweet! I find it builds different aspects of my calves compared to sunning or cycling.

One nice thing about using a rope, not to expensive when they break. You done worn yours out!

Did 1800 today, 300 to warm up, 6 sets of 200 at a faster pace than before and 300 to end it out. Resting 45-60 seconds between sets and trying to monitor my heart rate at the end of each set.