• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Anybody played with a NovaTac light?

chainring

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2008
TEXAS
Specifically the "Special Ops LED" or the "Storm" or the "120T" versions? Got a nice, ergonomic look to 'em and I appreciate the reversed clip, too.

Might try one as an EDC/Work light. I'm accustomed to Surefire E1B and Streamlight PT1L lights, so that would be the standard against which I am comparing.

Anybody got firsthand experience with them?

Thanks!

Re: Anybody played with a NovaTac light?

HehHeh, yeah I did! Interestingly enough, Amazon has some pretty good deals on 'em, too. Been looking at 'em for awhile, though, after seeing them for sale from the LWRCI webstore. They used to have some paired with the right Larue offset mount, too. Nice looking stuff.

NovaTac is an "okay" product. The way they heatsink the LED is not very good though. Surefire's heatsinking is not very good either, but it's better than NovaTac. If you break or otherwise dispose of lights frequently this will be less of an issue. Running the LED as hot as these designs allow you to (before the battery goes flat) will cause the LED to lose brightness relatively quickly, and/or can cause a sudden failure.

People like LEDs because there's no filament to break, but they are still liable to failure if overheated. They do not handle heat like incandescents and rely on good heatsinking for reliable operation.

My personal preference for a pocket-sized light is the Surefire U2. It is not the brightest in their lineup of pocked LED lights, but it has the best mechanical design: Rugged, GOOD quality switch (others like the LX2 are complete crap), don't have to turn it on to set the brightness/dimness, rugged, and even though it's not the brightest it's still very bright. Also very thrifty on batteries. Surefire updates the LED in the U2 once in a while so the brochure specifications are usually more conservative than actual performance.

I have a Storm I got at a shoot a few months ago. It looks to be well made and puts out a good amount of light for its size. I have a bunch of other lights and haven't used it. If your interested send me a PM and I'll make you a deal.