• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody running Athlon Helos?

SanPatHogger

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2020
So I have an Athlon Argos BTR gen1 6-24 on my 243 and so far its great. I don't shoot it enough to know what its limits are.
I like it, but I think my next scope will be the Helos gen2, I'll put it on my CZ455 when it gets here. Also I shoot a lot at night so illuminated reticle is a must.
I think I like the .2 mil marks better than the .5 marks on the Argos. I shot a couple 22 matches with a loaner CZ452 and an older Falcon scope and did pretty decent.
With a 30moa mount and the Helos I think with dial and holdovers I can push to 500 yards, that seems like a hell of a long way with 22LR.

I looked at the Arken, Vortex strike eagle, Bushnell Match pro and a few others. For a hair over $500 this seems to be about as much scope as you can get. And a year or so ago they were available for $400......

I only dial the Argos about 8 mils, and only done it a few times, not enough to break it yet.... I don't dial the falcon, just hold over for all stages.
I'd like to dial the Helos, will it hold up?

Anyway, is anybody else running one? Anything bad about them? Should I be looking at or considering any other options?

Reactions: Sc0-
I had a couple 2-12's and a 4-20 (Gen 2), and I really like them for the price. No issues with them, just upgraded since getting them. Thinking about grabbing another 2-12 for a AR-10 308 Upper that needs a scope while I'm waiting on a 6GT barrel for the main upper.

Reactions: st1650
C_DOES just did a detailed review on the 6-24, including a side-by-side with the Arken. I have the 4-20 and can totally agree with his review.

I’ve seen a lot of hunters this year buy the 4-20 since it’s a decent mag range and has illum which I like to have on a hunting build.

I have a Midas 6-24 for my 22lr ELR and it’s fantastic for that task. Extremely good glass for the price point and enough elevation to take me to 450 yards without hold overs.

I have a 2-12 Gen 2 which I really like on my 12.5 300BLK. Works great for close range and allows to to shoot long range subsonic at 450 yards. The 2-12 is also perfect for a 308 SPR style build. It’s a little bit heavy but there’s no other scopes in that niche right now (beside something like a March but that’s $$$).

My view is that if you don’t need illum, and want a 5-25 or 6-24, then get the Midas since it has better glass.
If you want the illum or want a 2-12 or 4-20, get the Helos Gen 2.

The turrets are the same I believe, locking elevation, very sturdy. Has my favourite kind of zero stop where you can set it up exactly where you want it (I like to be able to go 2.5 mils below zero for the Speed Drop Factor technique).

My only complaint is the weight but at least they feel solid unlike the Razor LHT HD. Mines been handled pretty rough and so far so good but I got it this spring. So we’ll see by winter.

I’d definitely go Athlon over the Arken SH4 Gen 2. Don’t know about the EP5, haven’t seen one yet.

Only experience with BTR Gen2 2-12x42, was doing a 42mm evaluation and needed something, went against my general rule of not buying products that fund the CCP. But I have to be honest, that is one impressive optic for the price. Glass, reticle, illumination and even turrets punch far above price class. If the 6-24 is similar I can see it being a very good value, but just because it’s part of the same line doesn’t mean quality is same as optical formula is different.

So after you guys convinced me I made the right choice on a scope the price on Amazon jumped up to $629. Opticsplanet, Cameraland, ebay, all over $600.
I looked everywhere, $629.
Yesterday MidwayUSA had it for $503. I figured they usually charge $$$$ for shipping, Nope, free shipping. Sent the link to my wife to order it, didn't get a chance to last night. Check this morning..... $629

Anybody know where there is one in stock for the old price?

Edit: Found a New/Used demo for $499. Cross my fingers

Last edited:
So after you guys convinced me I made the right choice on a scope the price on Amazon jumped up to $629. Opticsplanet, Cameraland, ebay, all over $600.
Yesterday MidwayUSA had it for $503. I figured they usually charge $$$$ for shipping, Nope, free shipping. Sent the link to my wife to order it, didn't get a chance to last night. Check this morning..... $629

You can call CameraLand and EuroOptic and speak to them directly - almost always have better deals they can give over the phone than can be advertised.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug

Contact @Spartan Precision Arms, he gives great prices on Athlon Optics!

I sent Spartan a message the other day, looks like he's on once a week or so.
Ended up ordering a "used\like new" for $485 with free shipping. Cross my fingers it's good. Lifetime warranty still applies.

I sent Spartan a message the other day, looks like he's on once a week or so.
Ended up ordering a "used\like new" for $485 with free shipping. Cross my fingers it's good. Lifetime warranty still applies.
Warranty is forever 100% no questions asked if something is wrong. They replaced a failed ares etr for me, and even gave me the new upgraded reticle.