• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody shooting a carbon wrapped Proof barrel

RedRyder

Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
Looking to make a significant weight reduction in my heavy barrel hunting rifle and I'm considering a Proof barrel for my 260. Anybody using one now? Have you noticed improvement or worsening of groups? thanks in advance.

This is my third one and they have all been extremely accurate! This is my latest LRI build in 6.5 cm.

Todd

Attachments

• photo58078.jpg
    photo58078.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 17
I have a 18" 308 PM a gas gun and love it..... it prints tight groups and stays nice and cool. I have not tried the Christian Arms carbon barrel yet.

I'm on my second Proof barrel the first was a 7mag that was outstanding. My current Proof is a LRI built 6.5 Creed that is lights out. Recently settled on a load running 140gr Hybrids at 2850. Cold bore consistency with these tubes has been spot on for me and they handle heavy strings of fire with ease. Last Saturday I thumped a marmot at 856 yards cold bore, cold shooter first round of the morning. They balance out a heavier match type build nicely.

28" 6.5 SAUM here on my Mausingfield. Shoots just like any other Bartlein, Rock Creek, etc.. I've had. Sub 1/2 MOA, no issues with heat that I've noticed so far. POI shift with a can is a little more than what I noticed with my 22" .260 barrel, but it is 6" longer so I'd expect a little more deflection from strapping a pound on the end of it.

I had GAP turn one for my AIAW in 65 creed and it shoots under 1/2 MOA with factory Ammunition consistently. This is my second barrel and I had the exact same results with the first one.

I just got one for my MRAD in 338 Lapua. The jury is still out, I've only shot 50 rounds down range. The load was for my old Savage FCP-HS. I loaded another 50 of Amax I had sitting around before I start developing a 285 ELD-M load for it with new brass. Back to the barrel. I'd say it cuts a lot of weight off the MRAD. Like a 1.5 Lbs. in a similar profile. The rifle balances nice when standing and it doesn't feel like the weight is hanging out there in front of you. I only plan on shooting prone of course, but I'd almost wished I bought a 26" heavy steel profile so I wouldn't feel the recoil of this round. I do plan on buying a 22" carbon proof 308 win because of the barrel life. I just bought a 260 fluted 24" steel barrel for that reason of barrel life. They do say that the proof carbon barrel last longer than traditional ones? If you have money to burn than buy a 6.5 carbon proof or 260 Rem.... I just think of it in a different fashion!

I have had a few of the Proof carbon. They are extremely accurate and very tough. I use their steel barrels along with Bartlein and they are fantastic. I love the 5/8" shank on the end of their barrels since that fits perfect in a collet on my lathe. When between centers, there's little to no runout when indicating the outside of the shank. Every other barrel I've measured that way has .003-.005". Proof barrels are my favorite.

Backcountry- Did you eat the Marmot? I know the Mongolians do. Sorry about the thread drift.

I have 533 through it so far. I have used Hornady 140gr ELD-M and the Prime 130gr HPBT. Both group about 1/2 MOA at 100yds. I have DOPE on the Prime out to 1400yds so far, and have been very pleased with it.