• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody shooting NRL22/PRS with a lighter weight Vudoo?

10ring1

The Zohan
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2012
Hi guys/gals, Let me start by saying I understand the concept of a heavy 22 is to act as a 'trainer' (in some cases) and I see many folks putting as much weight on their 22 as they can. I also understand weight is supposed to improve handling/stability off barricades but sometimes I would think too much weight would prove a bit of a challenge with some positions. I've asked a few Vudoo owners that have posted pics of their 'light-weight' (under 9-10# total, possibly less) Vudoos if they shoot and NRL22 or positional stuff with their rifles. For instance, the ones with the carbon fiber stocks, Proof carbon barrels, etc. Nobody was able to really say they shot any formal matches with these lighter weight (relatively speaking) to give any first-hand experience yet. Just wondering if there is anyone using one? I know the accuracy is there (simply because it is a Vudoo), that is not the question. Just curious of the handling and balance off barricades, positions, etc. Any first hand insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I've won a lot of matches with a Savage mkii against vudoos. It is easily under 6lbs and has a very short forend. It just takes more effort to "drive" it off the barricades compared to other, more dedicated rigs.

With that said, I did upgrade to a Vudoo and it's much easier to reduce wobble with a 16lb rig.

Reactions: 10ring1
I would think there would be a balancing point where one could say the rifle was not too light and not too heavy. Just right i guess. Fatigue becomes a factor shooting off hand 10 shots in 2 minutes. Or varying unsupported positions in 2 mins, etc

Apply a strap and practice with which ever you choose.
Something to consider, how many areas/stages are benefited by light rifles
and how many are by one with some mass.

R

Reactions: 10ring1
My vudoo in a Ai At chassis with kukri 18" barrel weighs 14.3 lbs. The only time it is a disadvantage is on the unsupported stages. That is usually only one stage at nrl22. I shoot other matches that dont have any unsupported so really not a big deal to me. I would rather the weight.

My Vudoo with 18" MTU barrel in Cadex chassis with PST GEN2 weights about 18#s. It sucks to shoot off hand. Shooting from obstacles is a peach tho

I’m building a vudoo with CF proof barrel for my gf she sure can’t hold up my 16lb rig so gonna get her a flyweight chassis of some sort

The only way to substantially reduce the weight of a Vudoo is with a carbon wrapped barrel. The big question, are the carbons performing at the same level as standard barrels. IDK. I'm just now warming up to the possibility of a Vudoo. LOVE the accuracy, don't love the idea of toting around an F-open class weight fat boy for rimfire.

I have only shot heavy Vudoo rifles, however I have used lighter weight rifles and they definitely have an advantage with unsupported positional shooting. However, as mentioned earlier, there is generally only one unsupported stage per match. For the NRL22 that is still 20% of the points.
Other matches that stage may be only 10% of the points.

The other downside is generally the center of balance is off with lighter rifles. I have taken the weights out of the front of a chassis and placed the bipod as far as I can forward and that did seem to help with balance. I do not think you can go wrong either way. For me bottom I find it best to practice as much as I can with whatever rifle I want to shoot.