• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody still using 6.5 Creedmoor in prs?

Huxtable_hurt_me28

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2020
Found a great deal on a low round count 6.5 Creedmoor barreled action. Wonder if it’s worth running the 6.5 Bartlein or just start fresh with a 6mm.

Uh tons of people? Probably half or maybe more. Just cause ethe top 5% dont doesnt mean it's not the most popular.

If you have to ask. You're probably not ready to burn through a 6creed just yet
Uh tons of people? Probably half or maybe more. Just cause ethe top 5% dont doesnt mean it's not the most popular.

Totally new to the sport. Currently shoot f class. Tryin

thank you

Yep. I tried 6mm Creedmoor this year and I'm not sold on the idea. I like my 147gr splashes and 3000 round barrel life. Pulled the 6mm barrel and I'm back to the 6.5. More recoil, yes, but with a sufficiently heavy rifle I'm still watching trace & impacts. There were stages this spring that if the target didn't have a flasher on it, nobody would've known I hit the plate with the 6mm. 147's move the plate and have a plume of lead splash.

I may try 130-135gr bullets later this summer to see if there's a happy middle ground. It's probably called ".25 caliber"... lol we'll see.

If you’re new to the sport, it won’t hold you back; getting stable and making hits on the clock will.

Go to local, one-day matches with regular folks and I’ll bet that caliber is being used more than any other.

Reactions: Campguy308
Tons of people still use it. Unless you're routinely in the top 20 at big national 2-day matches, a 6.5 won't hold you back (and even then, just barely).

If you post the " good deal" it will be sold quick! You should buy it ,run it, and enjoy!

If you’re new to the sport, it won’t hold you back; getting stable and making hits on the clock will.

Go to local, one-day matches with regular folks and I’ll bet that caliber is being used more than any other.
Awesome thanks, yea definitely me to the sport . Been shooting f class and going to give prs a try.

Reactions: JC0352
Yep. I tried 6mm Creedmoor this year and I'm not sold on the idea. I like my 147gr splashes and 3000 round barrel life. Pulled the 6mm barrel and I'm back to the 6.5. More recoil, yes, but with a sufficiently heavy rifle I'm still watching trace & impacts. There were stages this spring that if the target didn't have a flasher on it, nobody would've known I hit the plate with the 6mm. 147's move the plate and have a plume of lead splash.

I may try 130-135gr bullets later this summer to see if there's a happy middle ground. It's probably called ".25 caliber"... lol we'll see.
Awesome thanks for the info

@Huxtable_hurt_me28
First of all, whatever he did to you is not your fault.

You'll be happy with 6.5 creed for sure. It's used by the majority of shooters at local and prs matches I've been to.

Shoot it out and if you think you would do better with a 6mm, go for it.

It's just money...

@Huxtable_hurt_me28
First of all, whatever he did to you is not your fault.

You'll be happy with 6.5 creed for sure. It's used by the majority of shooters at local and prs matches I've been to.

Shoot it out and if you think you would do better with a 6mm, go for it.

It's just money...
Huxtable has hurt many... I’m just getting into the sport. Building a rifle and gathering up equipment. I found a right up on PRB.com that shows all the pros using primarily 6mm mainly 6 dasher. Going with a kelblys atlas Action and a 6.5 creed 26” Bartlein 1-8 5r I found used. Apparently it only has 50 rounds through it from load development.

What projectile should I use?
Any of the 130’s.
I’m shooting the 130 ELD’s now because a got a great deal on them but the Berger and Sierra are good and I think The RDF is worth a try.
I ran 140-147’s for years but if you’re not pushing the way out there (1500 and in) the 130 makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:
What projectile should I use?

In the cheaper end, Hornady 140bthp, 140 eld, 147 eld.

Berger 140's are going to cost a little more, but tend to be more consistent.

Lapua scenars are still a decent bullet too, but will cost a little more than Hornady.

Any of the 130’s.
I’m shooting the 130 ELD’s now because a got a great deal on them but the Berger and Sierra are good and I think The RDF is worth a try.
I ran 140-147’s for years but if you’re not pushing the way out there (1500 and in) the 130 makes a lot of sense.
How do the 130 elds shoot? Been thinking about switching from berger because of cost but the berger are lights out and I hate load development

Reactions: Stoweit
How do the 130 elds shoot? Been thinking about switching from berger because of cost but the berger are lights out and I hate load development
Excellent but in all honesty I’m shooing less and less Hornandy’s because of problems
Bergers definitely tend to be more consistent

Reactions: moosemeat
That's my exact load. How much are you jumping them?
This was my exact load for all of last year as well. Started noticing some pressure signs in humid and wet weather though so backed it down to 42.4.
I was only jumping 0.010"

Varget is excellent in 6.5 x47.
I may try that too. I'm getting around 2850 fps with 40.1 gr H4350 and 140 Bergers Hybrids .

The Hybrids are great by the way. I was looking at the new Sierra 130s as well. There was another thread that said they were just as consistent as the 130 Berger Hybrids, but are a bit cheaper. The OP may want to check those out too.

The 140 Hybrids need 1.5 mils of windage in 10mph 90 degree wind at 1000 yards.

Last edited:
43gr of h4350 with Berger 130gr targets. Perfect balance of speed and BC for a 6.5 creedmoor with minimal recoil.

View attachment 7359729
In my 260 I’m running 44 grains of H4350 @2.93 and getting 2975 with 130ELDm’s.
Last time I chrony’d it it was an SD of 8 for 15 shots.
I have a bunch of R16 I want to try next.
Really enjoyable to shoot.

I jump them 70 thou and run starline srp brass with cci br4 primers.
I'm jumping .020, I have been thinking about going to 60ish after reading the results from the Mark Gordon experiments on precision rifle blog.

Reactions: rydah
Lots of shooters still using 6.5Creedmoor in our club matches. I’m currently running 147eld at 2840fps.