• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody use an Er shaw Barrel

Curnow26

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hi
I have been considering purchasing an er shaw sniper (straight) taper 416 stainless barrel for my rem 700 .308.

Has any body used these before? They are very affordable.

Also this will be for a rifle that will go from 100-1000 yds. And will primarly shoot 168 or 175 grain match ammo or hand loads as well as the occasional 150 grain load.

Should i go with a 1-10 or 1-12 barrel twist for max accuracy.

any imput is appreciated Thanks

Re: Anybody use an Er shaw Barrel

I had them rebarrel an M-1903 Springfield in .280 AI. Haven't shot it yet because the stock is being fitted. ER Shaw also did some action work to it: trued the action, added a new bolt handle, then refinished the barreled action. Looks like great work and the turn around time was reasonable. I am looking forward to shooting it once the stock is done.

Wish I could report more concrete facts right now.

Semper fidelis,

I know people used to bitch about their tooling. I have seen some pretty nasty bores from them in the past, but I heard their quality has drastically improved in the past few years.

i have a shaw 24" heavy barrel on my ar and it shoots like a barn on fire. ymmv

I have a 16" M4 Shaw(Model 1 sales) on my AR15, shoots well so very happy with it. The only negative thing I have to say is there is a tiny white/light grey spot on the parkerizing, it means absolutely nothing but sucks that there is something to say
laugh.gif

I have a 24" shaw barrel (older one from 4yrs ago). It's leaning up against my fireplace. It has made a nice fire poker handle, cause it sure as hell didnt make a good barrel. Lots of mixed reviews, some people love them, some people wouldn't let them oil a pellet gun.

Ok thanks for the feed back ill have to think about it cause i was also going to have them true the action and so on.

i have a 24" 308 and love it. It does foul fast (around 150 rounds and I have to clean) but ill shoot that right out of it. LOL

I have a 24" heavy barrel on an AR that I built and it's THE most accurate AR I own. It's about 2 years old hope that helps you.

I just finished a build with a Stevens 200 action and a 24" SS varmint profile ER Shaw barrel in 308 Win with 1-10 twist. I went through the break in procedure and so far I am extremely pleased with the results. The rifle shoots 1/2 MOA with about three handloads so far (1 with 167 gr. Scenar and 2 with 175 SMK) and shoots just under 1/2" MOA with FGMM 175 grain. After finishing the break in, groups began to deteriorate after ~40 rounds or so depending on the load. The decline seems to be from carbon build up and not copper though so I don't blame the barrel for that. After cleaning (wich was quite easy) the groups tighten right back up.
I picked up the barrel as a kit from Midway for $199.

Godd luck.

tater

I ordered a 26" 1-10,.87 at the muzzle 308 barrel for an old F-Class rifle I love but never seemed to shoot for around 150 bucks a couple of years ago. It has done remarkably well. I beleive there was a change of leadership at ER Shaw like there was at Premier Reticle a few years ago.

The are many new choices to each caliber. Years ago I bought a barrel and the twist rates were very limited. These days I've heard from AR owners the ER Shaw barrel is a steal.

If I was to build someone a rifle and they were on a budget I would recommend the ER Shaw line.