• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody using Hornady 140gr 6.5mm BTHP?

Thor2j

Kriger
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2012
CO
Just about to start loading 260. Ordered 4 different bullets to play with one being this hornady. Initially heard good things about them but have now been reading that the BC is inflated and they don't buck the wind that well. Anybody got any true data compared to the Amax, smk, or bergers? Or just any real world data.

Thanks

Re: Anybody using Hornady 140gr 6.5mm BTHP?

I've got a box but haven't tried them yet. Bump for continued interest.

John

I've shot several hundred of them, just as accurate as the AMAX's in my rifle but real world BC is more around .55 G1 from what I've observed. So that equates to a little more drop and just a little more drift compared to the AMAX. Unless you are going to be consistently shooting at 1000+ I wouldn't worry much about what you're losing to the AMAX or other bullets.
Even then, you probably won't notice a difference in wind drift since at those distances you're going to miss due to errors in firing or wind calls.

I've found ~.58 (G1BC) works great for those bullets in my 260, tested out to 1000 yards.

Reactions: Bravo6

I have had good luck with 140gr Amax and their Match bullet. However I have also used Bergers with equal or better results. As for BC values, I have always relied on the numbers in my software. It has served me well to this point.

Reactions: unisuit56

Litz G7 for the 105gr AMAX and 107gr SMK are .252 and .262, respectively.

Research reveals the 105gr Hornady BTHP to be .242.

Hornady likes to grossly overstate their G1 BC's. It's possible that they're using max BC's, while most other companies use average BC's.

O<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Hornady likes to grossly overstate their G1 BC's..</div></div>

Not true. Every Hornady bullet I use I have used the listed G1 BC and have been right on to 1000 and further.

I'm not going to argue, because it's obvious you have much more experience and knowledge than I do. However, when I compare bullets, Hornady's published BC's always seem to in the upper range, while, Litz's data puts them more in line with SMK's, Nosler CC, etc. Then again, I mostly only look at .224 and .243.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">O<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Hornady likes to grossly overstate their G1 BC's..</div></div>

Not true. Every Hornady bullet I use I have used the listed G1 BC and have been right on to 1000 and further. </div></div>

What ballistics program gives you accurate dope with Hornady's advertised G1 BC's?

-Bryan

I use JBM and put in the data. Has always worked near perfect for me. Never been off more than a couple tenths of a mil at 1000 yards. Use chrono data from a Oehler 35. I only have a 400 yard range at home so I can't get data before matches so I have found JBM works.

Not saying your data is wrong but I have to trust my real world experiences shooting Hornady bullets in matches for the past 7 years.

I am NO ONE when it comes to this stuff, especially compared to Rob or Litz but I ve used the G1 for the 178bthp and it was spot on to 800 (multpile occasions) and when I called wind right, 970.

We've been using the Hornady 140BTHP match all summer or our 1000 yard matches in both our 260 rifles and also the LR 260 pistol and couldn't be happier. The Amax does carry a very tiny bit better but at $22.00 shipped and the scores we've been shooting with the BTHP match bullet I've no complaints at all. If I had to in a pinch we could switch between them and the 139 Scenars and still be on target at any of the distances.

So far JBM has never let us down if we enter all data correctly. Been quite a few other shooters asking what bullet we're using and they seem surprised when we say the BTHP match since they are so cheap but after trying them quite a few are switching over. At the end of the day scores don't lie and performance counts so it don't matter what something costs if it works then you can't argue with that.

On second thought I should say they don't shoot at all, that makes it easier to find and buy. I guess I better get busy and get stocked up for next season before the big rush to the "new" super cool have to have undiscovered magic bullet becomes the new fad.

Topstrap

I wouldn't think you would notice much difference between G1 and G7 BC's at 1000yds for a bullet that maintains velocity like a 140gr 6.5mm. It is only when the G1 and G7 drag curves start to diverge that you will start to see major differences in the dopes. Drag curves start to diverge at ~1.3 mach (1400-1500 fps), which is out at 1100-1300yds for these bullets.

I think one item often not discuss is how consistent each manufacturer's bullets are, piece to piece and lot to lot over time. Sure it is nice to have a high BC, but if the BC is changing due to inconsistency, you are getting a lot of error that will take a long time to figure out. I just don't have enough experience to say "Hornady's consistency is good (or bad)" whereas I do feel like I can say Berger's consistency is very good.

See Bryan's new book for examples of error resulting from as little as a 3% variation in BC. It makes me feel that bullets from a manufacturer that can produce consistent BCs are as important, if not more important, than simply identifying the highest absolute BC (where it is G1 or G7).

Thanks for all the good information. The only difference I see in hornadys g1 vs g7 is at 1000 yards, if u switch it to g7 the BCs are pretty good.

Now I just wait for my 260 barrel to get here!

When I had a 6.5 I used those for practice and then used 140ELDM for matches. I used the same load and they shot just fine for a more affordable practice projectile.

Reactions: unisuit56