• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody using rice to tumble?

Jesus. This is as Chicom as it gets. I thought the Arken threads were controversial. 🤣🤣🤣
Just order an Asian hooker to polish your brass. 😘🍻

I leave the primers in because it can get stuck in the flash holes and that just annoys me. But rice works great. Pretty sure I started doing it after reading Orkans article on it. 🤙🏻🤙🏻🤙🏻

EDC5019B-890A-44BB-97B3-2CFCA8614033.jpeg

Reactions: parshal
Since my original article was published, I've heard from all manner of people that have tried it. Basically, the ones that claim rice doesn't work... can't follow instructions well enough to unwrap a piece of gum without injuring themselves or someone else.

Why people think they are so smart that they can deviate from what is instructed, and then think there is something wrong with what was instructed, is without any shred of logic. I'm sad for them, truly... because someone like that really struggles in life.

Reactions: rydah
@orkan and @spife7980 are laughing at me so may as well let everybody in on it.

I like my brass shinney and with a hard coat of car wax on it.

The car wax stops tarnish for longer storage, bullets seat smoothly and no problems with cold weld in samples 1 1/2 years old.

I was compelled to try this with the rice. It did not work, the starch in the rice leached out and made concrete.

So run the rice dry like orkan says or expect a mess.

Mixing methods is not always a good plan.

How does car wax affect bolt thrust, when the brass can’t grab the chamber wall?

Anneal brass, lube with lanolin/Ethel alcohol mix, resize/deprime, and tumble in Nishiki medium grain rice for about an hour to get remove the lube.

No problems found for several years now in gas or bolt .

I think the manufacturers coat their brass as well.

This is not a new practice and was taken from posts here on the hide.

If you have test equipment that can measure the excess bolt thrust I can get you some sample brass.

I switched from wet tumbling to sushi rice after reading the Primal Rights article. The peened necks photos from wet tumbling is what did it for me. The sushi rice got used up so I switched to lizard bedding, nu finish, mineral spirits combo and it seems to work great.

@orkan have you seen the same peening from the ss chips that you saw from the pins?

Reactions: Snuby642
I switched from wet tumbling to sushi rice after reading the Primal Rights article. The peened necks photos from wet tumbling is what did it for me. The sushi rice got used up so I switched to lizard bedding, nu finish, mineral spirits combo and it seems to work great.

@orkan have you seen the same peening from the ss chips that you saw from the pins?

No pins of any kind in my wet tumbler

I stopped using all media. Its a waste of time.

Corncob - Mess and PITA to clean out
Walnut - Mess and a PITA to clean out
Russian Groats - Mess and a PITA to clean out
Rice - Mess and a PITA to clean out
Wet Tumble with SS pins - Great way to peen your necks and beat up your brass, Have to make sure you flush every one out or you gona trash a barrel.

Wet Tumble with No media and some lemishine & Dawn is all you need.

Gets them clean enough without tearing up brass or wasting god knows how much time trying dick around with media and getting shit out of the cases.
simply hold the case against the tumbler ridge and let the vibrations empty the case.

What I normally do, is dry tumble then decap. Then after resizing I will put in the ultrasonic for 3 minutes or so to remove the case lube and clean primer pockets.

used to do the SS media and wet tumble. Switched to just hot water, Dawn, and Lemishine and never looked back. Does just fine without having to fuck around with shit getting stuck in the cases / primer pockets / flash holes

I use rice in a Lyman tumbler, works just fine. Same rice that @orkan recommends.

I don't clean primer pockets or flasholes, spent primers are still in the brass when I tumble. So no issues with getting rice stuck in flasholes, and can't say I see any degradation in performance with this method.

How long do you run the tumbler ? 4hrs?

It works, but not as good as the cob or walnut. I am sure it is more expensive than the 20/40 cob from drillspot.com ($26 for 40 pounds, shipped.) But if you get that you better have something to put it in. Needed 3 plastic 5 gal. buckets. It comes in a paper bag, and I am sure the mice would be into it almost immediately.

It works, but not as good as the cob or walnut. I am sure it is more expensive than the 20/40 cob from drillspot.com ($26 for 40 pounds, shipped.) But if you get that you better have something to put it in. Needed 3 plastic 5 gal. buckets. It comes in a paper bag, and I am sure the mice would be into it almost immediately.
Why does everyone have mice in their house? lol

Maybe I'm weird... but don't you want to, like... solve... that problem?

When I tumble rifle brass, which is rare, I use a Dillon vibratory tumbler. I use lizard bedding (ground walnut shells) for media and add a cap full of Nu Finish car polish to the media. Tumble for 90 to 120 minutes and the brass is clean.

I use corncob, tumble with primers in, and wipe down each case afterward with a pink shop cloth and 90% rubbing alcohol to remove dust and reduce die erosion. I lube with RCBS liquid lube for resizing/decapping, and remove that with a pink cloth and 90% rubbing alcohol. By handing every case exterior, I can locate most case damage before actually getting into case prep.

I resize, then clean/ream flash holes, reloading itself begins with repriming. Each completed round gets another wipedown with 90% Alcohol.

1588, I may try to find that lizard bedding.

Greg

Last edited:
If you use the fine wallnut, wax and mineral spirits there is no wiping and you can deprime separately first if you wish.

20220103_180801.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jefe's Dope