• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anyone around nw pa want to show a newbie?

jimbob_walker

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2011
Conneaut lake pa
i was woundering if a experienced LR shooter would take me under their wing and teach me to shoot. ive hunted all my life, but never shot like you guys do. no one i know wants to shoot like i want to and spend the money i did on my rig. my buddys dont even want to spend the money on ammo just to shoot at paper.

Re: anyone around nw pa want to show a newbie?

Come down to Thunder Valley Precision. It's worth the drive.

Sometimes Tom takes a bit to get back to you: he's busy. Why not come out, meet other shooters, get your feet wet and shoot a day or weekend of matches? Schedule is here .

There are plenty of good shooters that will jump in and help you out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimbob_walker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i was woundering if a experienced LR shooter would take me under their wing and teach me to shoot. ive hunted all my life, but never shot like you guys do. no one i know wants to shoot like i want to and spend the money i did on my rig. my buddys dont even want to spend the money on ammo just to shoot at paper. </div></div>

I think JW being a novice LR shooter while unclear of his marksmanship ability I think he would benefit a lot more focusing on his mechanics and prep-work while sitting from a solid platform such as shooting benches. There are a lot of good shooters here on this forum that can offer you some good advice if you were a little more specific in what your goals are. You mentioned you typically shoot for hunting purposes, but haven’t mentioned how far. JW could you elaborate more on what kind of gear (IE type of rifle, caliber, optics, etc) you have and if you plan on shooting reloaded ammo or cheap factory ammo or match grade factory ammo. Your ammo is just as important as your rifle in that regard, whether or not you want to shoot out to 600yards or 1600 yards. Your mechanics’ won’t change shooting at 300yards versus 100yards, but your groups certainly will. Just a thought, if your best group at 300yards is 3.0”, what do you think your groups will be at 600yards let along 1000 or further. Quick note, can your rifle configuration even shoot to 1000yds???? Try a rest at 100 then 300 and see what ya think; what are your group sizes, just to get your feet wet. Then go somewhere that you can shoot out to 600 or even 1000 yards and see what you can do with the gear you have. Not everyone here has a $6k dollar rifle or a USO-Schmidt & Bender-Nightforce scope, it’s not needed to hit a 36”x36” plate at 1000yds. My suggestion would be to head to a range that is close to you and see what you can do, then move forward in your quest. I think shooting in a time restricted match at such small targets compounded by a rifle you haven’t shot very far would just be disappointing, plus a long drive just to find that out and expensive. Most sportsmen want to involve others in their hobbies and accomplishments, but others look at that as a way of doing business (IE selling gear)!! Stick with the benches and mechanics’ for the first few outings and see what you can do with what you have. JMO You’ll do fine, take you time and get out and shoot and have fun and be SAFE..