• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone been any of the front sight courses in NV?

Jeff Given

Private
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2011
Riverside, CA
I'm a member planning on getting out there as often as possible. Loved their hand gun course; I'd love to try their precision rifle courses in the future...

Jeff

Re: Anyone been any of the front sight courses in NV?

Been to their 4-day handgun course. It was a great tune-up. I've recommended it to several new guys in our department because the basic pistol course really starts at ground zero and works up.

Nice facility overall. I can recommend a great Mexican restaurant in Pahrump!

I inquired about the precision rifle course last year and would love to get on that range. It's a gorgeous long-range facility, including some angle shot opportunities. But before you can take PR, you have to graduate their patrol rifle course. That's a bit of a PITA.

For anyone in the LV area or who wants to visit... It's worth it. You can buy 'one-time' course certificates on eBay and other places for cheap. You can end up taking a 4 day course for about $150 which is a bargain.

Cheers,

Sirhr

(Oh and Ignited Pizza or whatever his name is will be leaving you phone messages daily for the next 2 years to sell you a membership...)

i have been to the 4 day handgun and 4 day practical rifle course.
If you are a rank beginner ( which I was ) they are fine.

BUT , several thing I do not like about them.

First off, like you said, you can get a one time trianing certificate for $100 on the net. BUT if you want to take ANY OTHER course there you either pay their $2000 price tag or buy a membership so that you have a 'Lifetime" of free course.

That is fine if you live in the area.

The other thing I hate is something you already mentione. You have to graduate 'expert' in their test they give you at the end of the four day basic course in order to take their precision rifle (sniper) course. Not that easy if it is your first time out.

So now you have a lifetime membership, (which like an idiot I got) and you want to take Precision Rifle. Well since I didnt shoot expert in the AR course I cant take the sniper course.

I see NO corolation to CQB and long range shooting.

BUT this is the way they keep expenses down. Only offer basic courses that are cookie cutter. Then when someone has taken them two or three times and shoot expert then they can come out and take advanced courses. You only have to offer the advanced courses a few time a year as opposed to 3 or 4 times a month for the basic course.

It cost alot to go back and repeat courses to take another one that should have no barring on performance.

there are other quality schools that teach long range shooting without any prerequsits

there's a long thread about them over at Nevada Shooters web site...