• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Anyone besides me using the MCR Meplat trimmer?

JGorski

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2011
Central Wis.
Got mine from Midway, I think it does a pretty good job, pics attached.
IMG_0638_zps34063e33.jpg

IMG_0642_zps6e4edc03.jpg

Re: Anyone besides me using the MCR Meplat trimmer?

Interesting looking tool. Give us a short instructional on just how you are trimming. Are you bullet length sorting sorting first? Is the tool able to consistently trim without doing that? What bullets are you using it on now? How much effect have you seen on accuracy and how much additional drop are you seeing in real application?
Also, I notice they have a power adaptor. Are you using it?

I have and use one of these too.

I sort all my bullets first using a comparator, measuring from base to ogive. The holder for the MCR indexes on the ogive of of the bullet so when I set the trimmer to just clean up the tip, it is actually creating bullets of equal length that will also have the same "jump" when loaded. The little "clean up" tool leaves a nice regular hollow point.

When finished, the bullet certainly looks better. As for performance, I don't really notice any real improvement at ranges less 400 yards or so. The improvement comes at the long ranges where a consistent BC is more in play. Unless you follow up with a pointing die, the BC is reduced by a small percentage but it is uniform. This cuts down the fliers considerably as the range increases.

Just a note for those that have or are considering one. Be sure to keep a small amount of Gear Lube nearby. The collars tend to gall the holder if not lubed with some EP lube fairly regularly.

Also, it helps to have some compressed air handy. If you don't remove the chips after almost every bullet, they tend to get between the bullet and the indexing surface. I have a refillable air can that can be used for cleaning computer keyboards. Trim a few dozen bullets, give the hands a rest, go fill the air can at the compressor, and back to work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting looking tool. Give us a short instructional on just how you are trimming. Are you bullet length sorting sorting first? Is the tool able to consistently trim without doing that? What bullets are you using it on now? How much effect have you seen on accuracy and how much additional drop are you seeing in real application?
Also, I notice they have a power adaptor. Are you using it?
</div></div>

Place a bullet in the small hole, push the end mill cutter in the other side against the bullet nose, take the knurled knob and what I used last night was a Post-it piece of paper or a .005-.007" feeler gauge and put it between the body and the knurled knob, while applying gentle pressure on the bullet tighten the set screw, take out the feeler gauge or paper and give it maybe 4-5 turns, again while applying gentle pressure on the bullet, pull the bullet out and see what you got, you should have a trimmed nose, then take the pointed cutter and run it up the bigger hole with a bullet in the small hole and give it a couple full turns or 4-5 partial turns, while applying gentle pressure on the bullet, if it looks good place the knurled knob on the end of that cutter and tighten the set screw, your all set. Im using this on 105 Hornadys, havent had the chance to shoot them yet since I had to send my barrel back for an adjustment to the chamber,(not the "smiths" fault) Not using anything power, LOL

I notice you mentioned the you follow with a pointing die. You using John Whidden's? How much do you point an SMK after minimum meplat trimming/cleanup?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mypos5mikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I notice you mentioned the you follow with a pointing die. You using John Whidden's? Any info on how much to point the SMK after minimum meplat trimming? </div></div>

Never used the Whidden trimmer, the pointed part of this tool just chamfers if you will the inside of the point.

Seems close enough to this thread - so anyone using a pointing die after meplat trimming, MCR or other? If so, which one and how much? Results on the range?

I ask because I noticed that after meplat trimming you lose a bit of BC, due (I assume) in part to the now slightly mis-shapen point.

Unless he's trying to open the tips back up for expansion purposes (which isn't what he said), I'm not at all sure why he thinks there's a need for the second, smaller drill to "chamfer" the inside of the meplat.

I'd also like to hear one of these guys pronounce "meplat" properly, too, but I suspect that's a lost cause!

Thanks JG for the link, though I've already heard Kevin discuss his tool. No dispute on the capability of his tool, happen to own one.

The question still is, is anyone using a pointing die to re-shape the nose after using a meplat trimmer (or uniforming tool, if you like - MCR or other), and if so what results have you had?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mypos5mikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks JG for the link, though I've already heard Kevin discuss his tool. No dispute on the capability of his tool, happen to own one.

The question still is, is anyone using a pointing die to re-shape the nose after using a meplat trimmer (or uniforming tool, if you like - MCR or other), and if so what results have you had? </div></div>

How are you going to make the finished bullet, on right, any pointier than it is already?

IMG_0651.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin Thomas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless he's trying to open the tips back up for expansion purposes (which isn't what he said), I'm not at all sure why he thinks there's a need for the second, smaller drill to "chamfer" the inside of the meplat.

I'd also like to hear one of these guys pronounce "meplat" properly, too, but I suspect that's a lost cause! </div></div>

The MCR Countersink/Deburrer Accessory--How It Works
MCR includes a special component not found on other meplat uniformers. This is a tip-deburring accessory designed to countersink the meplat and remove any small burrs pushed into the inside of hollow points during the meplat uniforming operation. The countersink/deburrer really works. It definitely gives a more finished appearance to the tip of the hollow point.

my,

I use a meplat trimmer made by HPitts here on the Hide. I first sort by ogive length, then trim. After trimming, I point them with a Whidden pointer. To remove the swarf left by pointing, the bullets are peened with small ball bearings in a vibratory tumbler either before or during the application any coating.

KT,

My understanding of the function of the center reamer is to make sure a small opening at the hollow point exists. The opening allows pressure equalization inside the hollow point jacket with forces on the unsupported part of the jacket. Don't know whether or not this is necessary, especially if you don't get too aggressive with pointing. I've seen other tools with this idea before, but no longer have the links and cannot say how long this idea has been around.

Results:

About 1/2 to 1 MOA decrease in elevation required for same POI. This equals an increase of MV of about 100f/s for most cartridges. You may do better by changing powders, primers, bullet jump or bullets.

The group size may shrink or may increase, depending upon the rilfe/ammo combination, consistency of work, and other factors.

Decrease in difference between COL and OGL in loaded rounds.

Summary:

You've got to do most everything else the BR folks do to increase consistency to obtain better group sizes.

If you cannot get a 50-100f/s increase out of your load by changing powder, primers, brass, etc, this might help.

HTH,
DocB

Thanks DOC, that's what I was looking for, "swarf" left from the trimming.

When you use Whidden's pointing die, how do you determine the setting? I've heard some just "eye" it, while that seems rather ad-hoc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JGorski</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mypos5mikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks JG for the link, though I've already heard Kevin discuss his tool. No dispute on the capability of his tool, happen to own one.

The question still is, is anyone using a pointing die to re-shape the nose after using a meplat trimmer (or uniforming tool, if you like - MCR or other), and if so what results have you had? </div></div>

How are you going to make the finished bullet, on right, any pointier than it is already?

IMG_0651.jpg

</div></div>

You don't see a difference? A pointing die "re-shapes" or points (if you will) the nose. Ultimately it is meant to increase the BC, partially in order to regain what you lose when you use the meplat trimmer - although I've heard of pointing for sake of pointing itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqlBTp8CXkY

my,

Eyeball works for pointing. Just don't get too aggressive. If you've got a hole plate, you can check to see what diameter the finished results provide. The Whidden die provides some guidance about how to avoid over pointing. You can also find a buddy shooting 6mm DTACs to see how much those are pointed.

HTH,
DocB