• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anyone built a bolt action .458 socom?

aussiearmourer

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2006
australia
Im about to build a .458SOCOM on a Stiller Predator action, MCS-T stock and krieger barrel and was just wondering if anyone else has experience with this calibre? The stock will have the DBM set up that Manners are doing now, so Im also wondering if the AI .223 mags or standard .308 mags will be the go? Im currently waiting on Starline to send me my brass, so I dont have any cases on hand to check in the mags. Any load data?
Cheers,
Andrew

Reactions: Raffica762
Re: anyone built a bolt action .458 socom?

458 SOCOM fits in standard 223 double stack mags, not single stacks.

If you can get it in a 223 mag on the stiller, go for it, but you might be stuck with 308 mags, and might even have to open the lips a little...

My dad built a ballistic twin in 44 cal on a mauser action adn then suppressed it. It's a silent deer slaying machine.

I was able to put 3 rounds in a 5 round 308 AICS mag.
It was a long way off from fitting into the .223 mag.

CHRIS

Wonder how many socoms would fit into the new 10 shot morta mags anyone have a morta and some socom rounds to check ?

Hi Andrew have a look at a 450 marlin they are easy to get to work with sub loads and dont draw crabs in licencing a fast twist barrel and you are good to go just seat the peojectiles deep.

I had considered the 450Marlin, but Ive already got dies, brass and reamer for the SOCOM on the way. Ive got the 10 round Morta mags on the way and have some .223 AI mags on hand, so I was just trying to work out which would be the ones to use. It seems the Morta mags might be the ones to use, I guess I'll find out soon

with the case diameter the morta mag will likley be the best the AR mags being a double stack mag will feeed the fatter 458 case but straight 223 AI mags transition from double to single stack so they will not work without a fair amount of work. the other advantage of the Morta mags is they are longer so you can take advantage of a longer OAL with the bolt action and that is a big consideration.

I am currently working on a 450 marlin fast twist so it will be interesting.