• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Anyone built a Mover to practice with

vprtoad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2009
lake titicacca
Just wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to build me a mover (that would be able to hold a single paper target )

thanks

Re: Anyone built themselves a "MOVER"

I just go to the pound and get an energetic cat or yappy dog. They are going to put them down any way. The range master usually complains, so I avoid doing it at a public range.

Seriously, the only opportunity I have had is with buddies walking the pits. Anything mechanical is too complicated for me to build/afford.

I know .....I just wanted to see if anyone had any idea's for me to practice with so I don't keep getting "OWNED" at my match's I go to...

Any Ideas.........?

thanks

If you can get a couple of buddies to help you, a simple cable and pulley system. I've done it with a person pulling a long rope to drag it across the range one way and another pulling back the other way. It was in a "U" configuration with the pullers near the shooting line.
Or use what we use, one run with an electric motor. Our range doesn't have pits so we run it this way, but we do venture down to a range with pits every so often.

Are you tracking, ambushing, combo? Do you have your mover leads worked out?

rope / pulley system is best imo. but you want to set 1 post tall and one short, then you can use a gravity system .get lots of cheap line pulleys and have mulitple targets set up .

Re: Anyone built a Mover to practice with

I rigged one up years ago with a tight line, a pully, some assorted hardware and two trees. Worked fine until we actually shot at it. No kidding, on the very first shot a friend managed to hit the stupid pulley. I piled it all in the truck in disgust and threw it out. Would have worked well had we not killed it in the fist 5 seconds...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vprtoad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Insayn

I lead/track

send me a PM

please
</div></div>

When we run 100 yard on the mover tracking is difficult for me. I would recomend you talk with Mike, Kurt, or Ryan (they are all here on the forum) and see what they do. At short range with the mag back all the way off you are still traveling througha large arc so there might be some logic to trapping the shot.

Just sayin....

Have your wife drive the car with a trailer behind (boat trailer, 4 wheeler trailer, etc.) and a target frame on the trailer.
wink.gif

http://popuptarget.com/page.asp?page_id=3

88590.gif

Or a wire system:

MovingTarget_Tim.jpg

In the old days we'd mount a target on cardboard/plywood in an old tire. Get a buddy up on the edge of the gravel pit and voila! moving targets. They keep you guessing by taking strange bounces too!
wink.gif

Heres a couple pics of the one I built. Uses 2 wheel chair size 12 volt batteries, and a 24 volt variabal speed, reversable motor.
IMG_1839.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_2402.jpg

Thanks LVshooter its was nice to be shooting next to you in vegas last week

Your Match's are so much fun...

I just wanted to be able to practice somehow so I don't get OWNED ANYMORE on movers

thanks for the great match's and this nice post

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 500grains</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have your wife drive the car with a trailer behind (boat trailer, 4 wheeler trailer, etc.) and a target frame on the trailer.
wink.gif

</div></div>

good idea, i'l make sure to lead WAY, WAY ahead!
whistle.gif

This is something I've always wanted to do, as well. Since most ranges are away from power, could there be some way to use a 12 volt car battery on a track or pulley system?

Well I have this Question posted in the "Fieldcraft" section as well Chad .... sorry if that's not correct

however there are some good posts in that thread take a look

thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBoss0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">R/C car.</div></div>

to heavy for r/c car and on the first impact will till over. you can try a long track and use a garage door opener with long track chain and battery + solar power migh!

my 0.02

LV - Can we get a better picture of that? What did you use for the track? That looks like a really nice setup.

Do you have some sort of switch that reverses the unit when it hits the end of the track, too?

Thanks.

This might sound dumb, but have you considered helium baloons? stop at the grocery store and get a few before you go to the range. and tie em off downrange and shoot at those. wind will move em around plenty, and erratically at that. good practice for dirt cheap, and youll know pretty easily if you hit your mark or not.

and for targets that cover some ground, you could purchase a cheap remote control car/truck and tie balloons to it. have a friend drive said car back and forth to give you your moving target. we've used this before and it worked awesome for us. car cost me about twenty bucks, and has a rechargable battery, and helium balloons are really cheap.

paulus

The track is angle iron.
There is a switch at the track ends that reverse the motor.
176-7635_IMG.jpg

176-7648_IMG.jpg

187-8764_IMG.jpg

That's pretty awesome there Kurt. How long do you recommend for the track? Does it have any problem like knocking the target off the track, when the bullet impact the target?

tie helium filled balloons to a cheapo remote control car. and have your buddy drive them, they can come straight toward your, away, straight across angle. go and stop, and with the wind and their natural drift, its much like a human head, it moves alot. with different sized balloons you can make diff size targets, we had a car and hooked a wire hanger on the end and it exteded the range out quite a bit, if you get a better car you can get 400 plus yards outta it

josh

sorry just saw his post must havee missed it on the way down

This might sound dumb, but have you considered helium baloons? stop at the grocery store and get a few before you go to the range. and tie em off downrange and shoot at those. wind will move em around plenty, and erratically at that. good practice for dirt cheap, and youll know pretty easily if you hit your mark or not.

and for targets that cover some ground, you could purchase a cheap remote control car/truck and tie balloons to it. have a friend drive said car back and forth to give you your moving target. we've used this before and it worked awesome for us. car cost me about twenty bucks, and has a rechargable battery, and helium balloons are really cheap.

paulus

Thanks chiller

Thanks Kurt

I'll just keep going to your shoots and having a great time