• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing anyone converting a 22 hornet to a 22 k hornet?

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
I always wanted a 22 hornet as a kid and the single shot savage model 40 seems to fit the bill perfectly. However, after some reading I am wanting to get the chamber reamed to an improved design to extend the brass life. Does anyone know of a smith that has done, or would do such a conversion?

I am sure there were lots of guys that did it back in the day, but these days I doubt too many people have the k-hornet reamers laying around.

You can always order or rent a reamer. That is what the smith will do if one is not in hand. Give JGS a call or look them up.

On a side note, I was going to do a K hornet rifle. But after wanting it to be mag feed and wanting better brass selection, I'm going with a 221 fireball

The first rifle I bought when I turned 18 was a Ruger #3 in .22Hornet. I still have it and recently bought some supplies to start loading for it. I have often thought of having it changed to a "K" just because the original brass doesn't last long. Please keep us updated if you make the change, I'm curious how it will benefit for velocity and accuracy as well.

I have a Bullberry Contender chambered in 22 K-hornet, and my experience has been that brass life sucks. I have annealed, and tried just about everything else, but I still split necks. My conclusion is that the brass is really thin walled, and of poor quality. I have shot Win and Rem brass, and have had the best luck with Win, but the quality seems to vary greatly with batches.

If I had to do it again I would go fireball, without hesitation.

Hornet brass is not the one to choose for anything you want long case life in. I use Hornet brass to form 17 Ackley Hornet. I found out quickly that Hornet brass is pretty bad from the start.

I have always kinda liked the 218 bee and 221 fireball, but for some reason the 22 hornet was always the top of the list. With bad brass life I considered other small caliber options, but the single shot savage bolt action was pretty much perfect.

I have several 22 k hornets and build centerfire conversions on the 580 rem actions.

S&b brass seems to last the longest for me and velocity is up about 100 fps average

I had a Ruger 77 rechambered to a K-Hornet, the Gunsmith had the reamer. never looked back. don't know how long brass life is haven't got that far into it. but what little have done it is a big improvement. I am pretty sure you can rent the reamer or check around, this was common practice years back. The Smith that did mine is in Oklahoma. He has slowed way down not doing much, his partner is going in for knee replacement so he is kind tied up.

I always wanted a 22 hornet as a kid...

My first centerfire was a hornet, and now I own 3 of them. I never bothered with the K, if you want more speed then get something different IMO. Same thing goes with loading it: some people try to drive it hard, but then you have brass life problems. It's just not a 223 rem. At first I had a RCBS die that was working the brass like 0.020" each reload, which was killing it. I switched to a redding neck die, I don't drive it hard, and I'm getting ~40 reloads before the heads start to come off. Win brass seems a little thicker than the others and lasts a bit longer.

That being said, if I had it to do over I'd go with a Spitfire. If you're a reloader and not looking for an off-the-shelf rifle then I'd suggest this. It's basically the 30 carbine case necked down to 22. The case head is only slightly bigger than a hornet, so something like a cooper M38 can be modified slightly, or something in 30 carbine can be re-barreled. Actually, one of my current projects is this reamer run in short. This yields a shorter case with about the same capacity as a K hornet and lets me fit the pointy 40gr nosler ballistic tips in the 30 carbine magazines. I can use all the same primers/powders/bullets I already have for the hornet and brass is still easy to find. A small bolt action with a 30-round magazine and a can is a nice little toy and great for varmints inside 200.

Good luck!

My first centerfire was a hornet, and now I own 3 of them. I never bothered with the K, if you want more speed then get something different IMO. Same thing goes with loading it: some people try to drive it hard, but then you have brass life problems. It's just not a 223 rem. At first I had a RCBS die that was working the brass like 0.020" each reload, which was killing it. I switched to a redding neck die, I don't drive it hard, and I'm getting ~40 reloads before the heads start to come off. Win brass seems a little thicker than the others and lasts a bit longer.

That being said, if I had it to do over I'd go with a Spitfire. If you're a reloader and not looking for an off-the-shelf rifle then I'd suggest this. It's basically the 30 carbine case necked down to 22. The case head is only slightly bigger than a hornet, so something like a cooper M38 can be modified slightly, or something in 30 carbine can be re-barreled. Actually, one of my current projects is this reamer run in short. This yields a shorter case with about the same capacity as a K hornet and lets me fit the pointy 40gr nosler ballistic tips in the 30 carbine magazines. I can use all the same primers/powders/bullets I already have for the hornet and brass is still easy to find. A small bolt action with a 30-round magazine and a can is a nice little toy and great for varmints inside 200.

Good luck!

I believe the 5.7mm Johnson is another name for it as well...

And ditto on not trying to make the Hornet something it is not. Great cartridge BTW...

.22 TCM is another one that falls into that class...

Last edited:
Rechambered my 527 CZ from Hornet to K about six years ago and have been very happy with it. Mine likes 296 and 40 grain Blitzkings. It is an honest 300 yard prairie dog rifle. It has a Burris 3/9 Fullfield on it in Ruger rings, with the crosshair on at 100 yds the first hash is on at 200 and the second at 300. Case life has been excellent with WW brass. Dale

I am pretty much looking to live out a childhood dream, have a light recoiling gf gun, and a new 400 yard toy to ring steel.

Thank you for the saubier.com link, I have never been there and I will most definitely check it out.