• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone else having issues with Peterson 284 brass

Delicatessen

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2017
Kansas
As I really liked other Peterson cases I decided to try their 284 win but am having a lot of issues reaching anything near the speeds and accuracy of Norma 284 brass with similar loads. Has anyone else had this issue. I have tried 4831sc, n165, rl17, rl23,rl26 all have bolt stick around 150fps before loads around 2 grains under max in the Norma.

I am using cci 200, 180 eld m, this is a long action 28”. I started these loads around 5-6 grains under the Norma and still had issues. I was getting 2880 FPS in Norma having issues obtaining 2700fps with Peterson with any of those powder without bolt stick. For reference no signs of issues with primers, try an old recipe Norma round and it matches what it did before.

This is completely opposite of other cases from Peterson such as my 260 srp, 6creed, 308 and some magnums.

I don't use it, but know of guys that use for competition. It has slightly smaller case capacity than Lapua (the new brass). We shot yesterday using labradar to check for velocity.
rifle #1 - using 180 Berger hybrids, R16, BR2 primers averaged 2865 for a 5 shot group (30" barrel with 150 rounds on the barrel).
rifle #2 - using Berger hybrids, H4350, BR2 primers averaged 2826 for a 5 shot group (30" barrel with 1900 rounds on the barrel).

This was expected since R16 has more energy than H4350, and the barrel with 1900 rounds is on it's last leg. I asked the guy that was shooting R16 what his load was, but he wouldn't tell me. 2865 is the upper node for 180's with any powder I have used in my 284's without showing signs of pressure, but I haven't tried R16.

Did you do an h2o weight test to compare the Peterson brass to Norma? Volume might substantial for that lot of Peterson brass. Good luck

I'm running Peterson in my 284 using 183gr Sierra's, Fed 210M, 50.3grs of H4350 at 2787 fps with no pressure signs out of a 24" Shilen barrel. Load groups sub .5 MOA consistently as long as I do my part. Currently only at 3 loadings but so far so good and the brass seems like it's high quality. One thing I will say, I ran the first new batch of brass through my FL sizer prior to loading and had excellent accuracy and numbers off the bat. So then out of curiosity, I loaded 15 cases straight out of the box and had several flyers with a high ES which makes me think the neck tension on these isn't as consistent as Lapua out of the box.

Attachments

• 284 183gr Sierra.jpg
    284 183gr Sierra.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 42
There was less case capacity and I would get to the speeds with less powder relative to the Norma but and the pressure signs that early seemed off. I suppose this lot might just be a bit too little volume. I am hesitant to continue with it as it seems way too low. The barrel is broken in about 650 rounds through it but I was seeing if I could improve es a little bit. The accuracy seems best between 2850 and a little under 2900, it was averaging right around 2880 in the heat a little less when cooler.

I may give lapua a try or just stick with Norma. I typically either go with Peterson or lapua if available.