• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Anyone else like playing with steel?

CMKnives

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2010
NC, Okla
phantomsteelworks.com
Just a few I finished recently. Turned out pretty good for a newb.
Just something about grinding steel gets me all tingly inside....I am sure there are a few of you here on this killer forum that can relate!

All have been coated in Brownells AH-II and then dusted with Rusto-Hammered on finish.

Thanks for looking fellas:
OffthebenchTactical002.jpg

OffthebenchTactical001.jpg

OffthebenchTactical003.jpg

OffthebenchTactical004.jpg

OffthebenchTactical005.jpg

OffthebenchTactical006.jpg

OffthebenchTactical007.jpg

Bladeswsheaths-Devin012.jpg

Bladeswsheaths-Devin010.jpg

Bladeswsheaths-Devin007.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Chris

Re: Anyone else like playing with steel?

Nice stuff.. I've been looking into doing some knife builds myself. There is just something about the creative process.. sometimes it works.. sometimes it doesn't. Great designs.

What kind of setup are you using?

Thanks guys!

Hawk, as of now I use a Coote 2x72" grinder with small wheel attachment. Its not the greatest grinder in the world, but it has got me this far. Now that my learning curve is almost over....I am ready to upgrade to a KMG or another KMG type clone.

The road has been long and hard, but with everything it just takes practice.

I think one of the hardest tasks in knife making is building a blade that has not been done before. So much talent and makers to look up to....but making your work stand out from the rest.....grrrrr I go through erasers like crazy just sketching. If I like something, I transfer it to steel, cut it out...grind it...send it out to heat treat and hope to have a good looking blade by the time I am done....LOL

Once I get better I want to focus on making a few designs that will be regulars. For now I just play around and throw sparks on high speeds
laugh.gif

If you ever want to get started let me kn ow. I could send you some steel to grind, some G-10 and pin material to build your first. I am still learning as I go....everything I have made has been by trial and error. I have not been fortunate enough to make it to any makers shops to learn hands on.

I say just go for it brother, you will be surprised at what you come up with. It may take several attempts, but it will start to come around if you give it your best every pass at the grinder!

Again, if your serious about giving it a go....blast me an email...I will send you a care package to get you going. I have seen several blades completed on hand tools....files, sandpaper and a grill....;-)

Thanks for the support guys!

Chris

Ahh, nothing like the smell of freshly ground steel, micarta and G10.
Or the feel of a newly finished blade in your hands.

The satisfaction when your knive works well, the steel holds the edge as hoped for.

The disapointment if your blade comes back twisted from hardening.

BEWARE: Irondust is extremely habit forming when it got into your bloodstream.

I made my first knive at 14, from an old sawblade.
Now, 26 years later, the addiction is as bad as the first day.

Congrats to your knives, they look very professionally made. Good grinding lines, cleanly made ricasso. And a really individual design.

this has got me thinking. would you mind explaining how you made them exactly?

Thanks guy's! You guys rock around here for sure
eek.gif

I am just a newb that likes to grind steel.

Garth,

Long story short, you sketch something up that you think may look like a knife. Cut it out, transfer that design to a piece of "Known" steel.....take it over to the metal cutting band saw, hack saw, angle grinder or whatever you have.

Profile it as close as you can, then in my case...start with a fresh 60 grit Blaze belt.....on your wheel....again in my case an 8" wheel....start cleaning up the profile, gripping and handling the blade for feel/balance etc. Drill your holes for pins/tubes/corby's etc....

Once you achieve this, you then mark your center for your edge, and start grinding your plunges. Some hollow grind, I like flat grinds. Work your way up in belts until your desired finish....keep in mind you need to heat treat it. I send all my blades out to Brad @ Peters Heat Treat Inc.....Once they get back.....start with a dull 60-80 grit or whatever you like...start working your way back up through the grits....shiny, satin finish....whatever your going for on that particular blade.

Trace out your handles, cut them out slightly larger than your tang.....drill holes for pins/tubes/corby's......pin them up and start shaping. Once you get done with that....glue up, let dry.....finish it up....press ome kydex or cut some leather and make you a sheath.

That was as short as I could possibly make it. I am a newb and am sure there are others that do it differently...as of now this is my method in a nutshell.

If you ever have any questions on knife-making feel free to blast me an email. I will do my best to answer your questions...if I cannot I can put you in touch with many that can!!!!

Thanks for the feedback fellas!!

Chris

Very Nice! Yes, I have a yearning to go out and play on the mill or the sanders and grinders!

Darin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guy's! You guys rock around here for sure
eek.gif

Garth,

Long story short, you sketch something up that you think may look like a knife. Cut it out, transfer that design to a piece of "Known" steel.....take it over to the metal cutting band saw, hack saw, angle grinder or whatever you have.

Profile it as close as you can, then in my case...start with a fresh 60 grit Blaze belt.....on your wheel....again in my case an 8" wheel....start cleaning up the profile, gripping and handling the blade for feel/balance etc. Drill your holes for pins/tubes/corby's etc....

Once you achieve this, you then mark your center for your edge, and start grinding your plunges. Some hollow grind, I like flat grinds. Work your way up in belts until your desired finish....keep in mind you need to heat treat it. I send all my blades out to Brad @ Peters Heat Treat Inc.....Once they get back.....start with a dull 60-80 grit or whatever you like...start working your way back up through the grits....shiny, satin finish....whatever your going for on that particular blade.

Trace out your handles, cut them out slightly larger than your tang.....drill holes for pins/tubes/corby's......pin them up and start shaping. Once you get done with that....glue up, let dry.....finish it up....press ome kydex or cut some leather and make you a sheath.

That was as short as I could possibly make it. I am a newb and am sure there are others that do it differently...as of now this is my method in a nutshell.

If you ever have any questions on knife-making feel free to blast me an email. I will do my best to answer your questions...if I cannot I can put you in touch with many that can!!!!

Chris </div></div>
Who is a good supplier of the hollow rivets for the kydex. I havn't been able to find them yet. I need some big enough for 550 cord. Thanks and nice work.
............SmokeRolls

Smokerolls,

I get mine from Tracy and Lora at
http://www.usaknifemaker.com/store/eyele...2200f1ecb7310f6

Good folks, they will get you lined up!

Lex,

I send my blades or proto-types to a buddy up in Wa State....Retired Army vet of 20 years and now a Stryker Instructor.

I have tested several of my blades. They are tools and I send out for heat treat so I know they get nice and hard for heavy use.

Best,

Chris

Thanks already visited site and saved to favorites.
I've been looking for those.
.....SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks already visited site and saved to favorites.
I've been looking for those.
.....SmokeRolls </div></div>

Not a problem!!

Chris

CMK, thanks for the offer brother, I may take you up on that. Trying to decide on my initial setup before jumping in at this point and looking for time right now to commit is the major factor. Look forward to seeing more of your work on here.
Take care,
John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CMK, thanks for the offer brother, I may take you up on that. Trying to decide on my initial setup before jumping in at this point and looking for time right now to commit is the major factor. Look forward to seeing more of your work on here.
Take care,
John </div></div>

I hear ya John! It took me a month or so to jump in. I read and viewed every piece of info I could...bought Wayne Goddards $50 work shop....picked every one of my favorite makers brains.....Then they sent me some steel to play with and I never even looked back.

You will soon never sleep.....always thinking of that next build or the current one. Its endless and you will soon see.....LOL

Just let me know when your ready and we will get you squared up.

Thanks John!!

Chris

CMK
Some great looking grinds. You just convinced me on a new hobby to try out. I have been thinking about giving this a try for a while and that was the shove I needed. Just ordered the book you mentioned and now I can start sketching my thoughts out. I look forward to posting up my first disasters.
Frank

very impressive and nice. very.

Chris, seeing your knives makes me want to fire up the forge and start pounding away at some steel (haven't in about 3 years) also looking to upgrade to a KMG or built one like it...
Haven't worked with Kydex but also looking at getting into making my own scabbards and some mag holders with it.
Keep up the good work.
Sean

I got all fired up to forge my own knives but in the end it was just too ginormous an undertaking when I already have WAAAY to many things going on. With that being said I still have the bug to make knives so I have been thinking about going the grinder route. Very nice work you have done. I like it.

Shane

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guy's! You guys rock around here for sure
eek.gif

Garth,

Chris </div></div>

Hi Chris,

Do you setup at the Tulsa Gun Show? If so, please let us know where your table is located. I will like to stop and see your knives in November.

Thanks,
Darin Reiss
FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS

Really got me thinking, Chris.

Always wanted to try my hand in this. Looks like I'll be picking up yet another addictive hobby!

Hey Darin,

I have not had the chance to set up at a show yet. I am still getting my groove....but order's are coming in from return customers so I think it is in the near future if I can ever get a break from the shop/dungeon...;-)

Thanks for the support!!!

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DarinR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guy's! You guys rock around here for sure
eek.gif

Garth,

Chris </div></div>

Hi Chris,

Do you setup at the Tulsa Gun Show? If so, please let us know where your table is located. I will like to stop and see your knives in November.

Thanks,
Darin Reiss
FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS </div></div>

I appreciate the hell out of the positive feedback you have given me fellas. I will work on doing a GAW one of these days when it slows down.

To you guy's that want to get started....all I can say is just go for it. I will answer any and all questions I can to the best of my ability to save you some trial and error. I too just got started doing this and I still learn something new on every blade. I still make mistakes.....its knowing how to fix those mistakes and learn from them is key. Practice wont make perfect, but it will get you damn close the more you grind/forge!

Once I am grinding on a 3 wheel grinder and more power...the sky is the limit. I am doing pretty well for starting out and using limited machinery.

Just jump on on fellas! we all start somewhere.

Much respect to all of you that have replied here.
grin.gif

Sniper's Hide RULEZ.

Chris

Oh wow..I clicked on this thread expecting metal fabrication. But this is incredible!

Thanks fellas!

I got a little more done this past weekend. These are all just rough profiled. Still need to hit them again and start setting some plunges/drill holes etc.

A nice tactical hunteskinner/chopper design for one of our very own:
http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa286/FinalFusion/?action=view&current=JJ001.jpg

A couple X-mas gifts for my Unlce and my mother's boyfriend:
dieselChinook004.jpg

dieselChinook010.jpg

dieselChinook012.jpg

dieselChinook015.jpg

dieselChinook016.jpg

several that I am getting ready to send out for heat treat. got the plunges set and tang/pin holes drilled this weekend.
Phantoms001.jpg

Phantoms003.jpg

That is all for now folks...I am not fast, but I love seeing progress
grin.gif

Thanks,

Chris

Sorry this is a bit off topic...

I noticed you have a raven holster for your 1911. Do you have any deep scratches or holster wear on your 1911 from that holster? I have a raven holster for my G17 and I love it, but it has really tore up the finish on my G17..its a glock so I am not pissed about it, but I am worried about the kydex tearing up the finish on my ED Brown...

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cttbax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry this is a bit off topic...

I noticed you have a raven holster for your 1911. Do you have any deep scratches or holster wear on your 1911 from that holster? I have a raven holster for my G17 and I love it, but it has really tore up the finish on my G17..its a glock so I am not pissed about it, but I am worried about the kydex tearing up the finish on my ED Brown...

Thanks! </div></div>

Never got any deep scratches.....could be due to not cleaning the gunpowder off your muzzle or got some sand etc in there.

Chris

Those are some nice grinds.

I purchased a cheapo sears belt grinder before I deployed and have only used it once (doesn't do very good). Other then that my couple of knives I hand forged were hand filed and sanded and didn't/don't look very good.

My forge is currently in storage in AR and hopefully soon I should get it back up here and start forging again.

Right on Stefan,

Just dont give up....it gets better I can promise you this! I myself started with a Dayton 2x42" and damn near tossed the towel in. With some encouragement from a couple favorite makers I bought my Coote 2x72" and almost immediately my grinds improved. It just takes getting past that learning curve and finding the right angles etc.

I will be putting my Coote 2x72x8" up for sale shortly. I am upgrading to a KMG with all the bells and whistles.

The Coote comes with small wheel attach and 3 wheels....1", 2" and a small wheel for finger choils, rippers etc.

Anyway, just keep at it. If you have any questions just ask. I have had so much help and have asked what I though where stupid questions. Not the case at all, its called learning!~

Best of luck and hope to see some sick blades come from your shop soon.

Thanks for your service and welcome back!

Chris

I'm hoping that once I get my forge back that I can start forge welding some more damascus. I forge welded some cable and made a knife for a friend of mine since he was retiring from the Army after 26 years in. It turned out ok for a beginner. One of my issues is making and fitting handles, and also grind angles and pretty much everything else.
Hopefully I can get back to forging here soon!