• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anyone else own a Volquartsen 17?

OldmaninNeb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2009
Nebraska
I usually spend some time researching b4 just buying a rifle, but after selling my lever gun, and looking around, I just bought their semi auto .17 ... think it was a mistake? They're even kinda bragging they're the only one left still making a semi auto .17 .... can't bark their reputation.. so hoping someone else already owns one in here...if so, any comment is welcome. Should be here in less than a week.

Re: anyone else own a Volquartsen 17?

I got one in HMR. It is a real tack driver. Very well made gun. I love mine. I am sure you will be very happy with it.

HMR... I'm wanting to reach out past the Hm2. Just something between a .22lr and a .223. I have two neighbors out here, both have dropped a deer with a .17hmr, both saying close to 200 yards. One a neck shot, one 3 rounds. .. I admit, I'm excited, probably get a month long blizzard the day I get it. (both over the age of 50, neither prone to lying)

I have one and it is a one holer!! I really like volquartsen products and great customer service if any issues!

17 HMR is potent but there's no way I could justify deer hunting with one unless that's all you had. In some states it would be illegal to use something so small.

However, it's a perfect rodent/varmint round. And really fun.

I agree, not a deer hunting round. Unfortunately, deer are so thick in Nebraska, that they're viewed by land owners and people on the roads as a danger and destructive. (eat your heart out you hunters) (same with antelope around here) ... The .17 is the gun of choice for ranchers around here, It triples the range of a .22, and as stated, a perfect round for varmints. We also got lots of skunks, porcupines, and badgers as well. It will be scabbarded onto my 4 wheeler and like all my rifles, will be a tool to be used whenever needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">17 HMR is potent but there's no way I could justify deer hunting with one unless that's all you had. In some states it would be illegal to use something so small.

However, it's a perfect rodent/varmint round. And really fun. </div></div>

It is against the law here in Arkansas! But you can use a 22 hornet!

in Florida its against the law to hunt with a deer rifle, gotta use a shotgun....up here, a shotguns out... I'd bet truth be told, a 22 has killed more deer than any other caliber.

Regardless of legality,

the 17MHR in all it´s power and glory is extremly marginal on a decent size deer,

yotes, ok and at a range less than 100 meters, deer and larger game, not so smart.

I dont care that one can hit it, one has to kill it too with the hit. There are ethics involved here.

I have shot some 300+ rabbits with HMR and Mach2 at ranges from 2-112 meters and there are surprisingly large differences in bullet performance even within the plastic tipped versions.

IN regards to getting a Volquartsen rifle, I think that it´s a great buy.

/Chris

Hey, I'm in total agreement, if you're hunting deer, please for the sake of the animal use a round that'll cause the least suffering. (but then using a bow and having it run until it bleeds out would be questionable) I merely mentioned the two deer killed to demonstrate that the hmr is a fairly serious round clear out to 200 yards.

I've got an older VQ 17 HMR. Super nice guns. Very good quality. I doubt you'll be dissapointed.

Love my Volquartsen 17:

4109.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popgunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I usually spend some time researching b4 just buying a rifle, but after selling my lever gun, and looking around, I just bought their semi auto .17 ... think it was a mistake? They're even kinda bragging they're the only one left still making a semi auto .17 .... can't bark their reputation.. so hoping someone else already owns one in here...if so, any comment is welcome. Should be here in less than a week. </div></div>

I have been investigating the Volquartsen recently and spoke with the shop.
1) The barrels on the standard 17 HMR's are threaded into the receiver.
2) The back of the receiver is full height so a 10/22 Mag stock would have to be relieved to fit.
3) The older receivers had Weaver rails the newer receivers have picatinney rails.
4) Most barrels are threaded 13/16x20 if they have a compensator. Volquartsen makes a 13/16x20 to 1/2x20 adapter.
5) The adapters are either stainless or blackened stainless.
6) The stainless barrels shoot slightly better than the carbon fiber wrapped barrels.
7) The 17 HMR's were chambered for the Hornaday 17gr rounds. Others may not feed or shoot well (but they may feed and shoot fine ???)

They sound and look like very nice rifles and as was stated the only 17HMR semi-auto still in production.

Pat